Hand Guards as Wind Deflectors: CycleGear Trackside Brush Guards

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Last month I posted a thread asking about the use of the kind of hand guards dirt riders use on their bikes to shield their hands from branches and such. I wanted to use them as a wind deflector to keep my hands warmer by getting them out of the windstream. I don't need heated gloves and all that stuff as I live in a warm climate and rarely ride into colder climes.

However, I will be in the mountains of North Georgia and North Carolina in December, and there a pretty good chance for some chilly weather.

After stealing the idea from Charlie B, I bought some brush guards from Cycle Gear - Trackside Brush Guards. They weren't quite as cheap as the ones Charlie used, but still, at $40, I could toss them if they didn't work out.

Mounting was extremely easy. The only thing I had to do was budge the brake fluid reservoir to the left a teensy bit. A few nights ago, I had a chance to see how they worked, and I was astonished. Okay - 50 degrees is not anything like you northern folks experience, but my hands were toasty in my winter gloves, without resorting to liners and/or hand warmer packets.

Easy to install - do what they need to do - and inexpensive. Oh yeah - using your wife's hair dryer, the decals come right off too.

Recommended.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I presume that they don't hit the windshield at full turn lock. Am I correct in that assumption?
You're correct, Chuck. No problem with the windshield, and that is a Cee Bailey, which is just a tad wider than the OEM screen.

There is also plenty of room between the levers and the guards. I wore winter gloves, but don't own a pair of mittens, so I can't vouch for them.

PS: Just happened to remember: I've got Helibars on my bike. These guards may NOT work on a stock NT. Don't know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I noticed the guards are installed upside down. Is that so you could bring the bracket over the top of the bars rather than under them ?
Yes - just easier. Didn't seem to make a bit of difference in the way they work.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Thanks. I just bought a pair and will install this weekend. I am sure they will go on one way easier than the other. I agree based on their shape I doubt if it will have any effect on their ability to divert the wind away from your hands.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I noticed those guards have "air vents" in them. Do you tape over those?

Honestly while riding in cold weather, it isn't until I get into the low 40's where my standard winter riding gloves would not keep my hands warm. Even moving to heated gloves, anything below freezing and the electric gloves wouldn't keep my hands warm (grips totally exposed to the wind) when traveling at speeds over about 40mph. It was at those colder temps that getting the wind off my hands was very noticeable.

Anything to break that wind speed over the hands will definitely help. The other issue I would run into on colder days (temps below 40F) was the heat sink effect the handle bars had on my hands. The bars would draw out the warmth from my hands. This is where heated grips really shine.

Those hand guards look much better than the fully enclosed "hippo hands" style covers. Besides with those hand guards, you're ready for trail riding. :cool:

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanks. I just bought a pair and will install this weekend. I am sure they will go on one way easier than the other. I agree based on their shape I doubt if it will have any effect on their ability to divert the wind away from your hands.
Do you have heli bars or are your bars stock?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The other thing that the hand guards to is keep the bugs from hitting your hands. Not a big deal in winter, but, in summer when the big grasshoppers are out and you're wearing thin gloves..... :)

I think my handguards collected more bug guts than my headlight. ;)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Very true. When riding through NE back in 2009, there were grasshoppers everywhere! I was picking those things out of the inside of my bike for months later. And my overpant's pant legs! Oh the horror! :eek1:

The other thing that the hand guards to is keep the bugs from hitting your hands. Not a big deal in winter, but, in summer when the big grasshoppers are out and you're wearing thin gloves..... :)

I think my handguards collected more bug guts than my headlight. ;)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My hope is that the guards will also divert rain away from my gloves in the summer. I do plan on putting black electrical tape over the vents for winter riding.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I noticed those guards have "air vents" in them. Do you tape over those?

Honestly while riding in cold weather, it isn't until I get into the low 40's where my standard winter riding gloves would not keep my hands warm. Even moving to heated gloves, anything below freezing and the electric gloves wouldn't keep my hands warm (grips totally exposed to the wind) when traveling at speeds over about 40mph. It was at those colder temps that getting the wind off my hands was very noticeable.

Anything to break that wind speed over the hands will definitely help. The other issue I would run into on colder days (temps below 40F) was the heat sink effect the handle bars had on my hands. The bars would draw out the warmth from my hands. This is where heated grips really shine.

Those hand guards look much better than the fully enclosed "hippo hands" style covers. Besides with those hand guards, you're ready for trail riding. :cool:
I haven't covered the vents - yet. However, I'm still here in south Texas, and I don' really need the guards right now. Once this trip is over, I'll take them off.

Your point about the temps being below 40 is well taken - and exactly why I chose this route. Last April, on a ride to Las Vegas, I went through New Mexico and Arizona, where I had some very chilly mornings. The rest of me was fine, but my hands were freezing being stuck out in the wind stream. That's why I didn't want to go the heated gloves or grips route - too expensive for very little use. I realize when I left Portales, NM, at 28 degrees, that all I really needed was to block the wind.

I carry tape with me on the bike. Because I am going to Miami, I probably won't block off the vents until I reach potentially cold temps in the mountains of northern Georgia. I do have winter gloves, as well as liners with slots for hand warmers in them.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I just installed them. They do not contact the stock windscreen at full lock in either direction although the clearence is about 1/2" so with the stock riser set up there might be contact at full lock. Overall they were an easy install. Takes a 4&5mm hex and 10 minutes of time. You do have to install them with the bracket on top. The guards are of better quality then I suspected. I did cover the vents with black electrical tape on the inside to keep cold air from flowing through. I plan to keep them on even in the summer. I will let you know how they perform during my commuting.

kenstone

Thanks for posting the fitment info.
I hate bulky gloves (or grips) that change the feel of the bars, and wind deflectors could be just the ticket.
I have both thick and thin ski gloves, with pouches for the chemical heater packets, but have yet to use any.

My son uses the packets in his ski gloves, skiing and says the work well:shrug2:.
I cut 4 inches off my stock windshield when I got my NT, as all the way up seemed more than needed, but I'm missing it now:redface:
Ken

Top Bottom