Hand Surgery Coming Up

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Phil,
You are so helpful to others.
You, as much as anyone, deserve to enjoy your time on your bike!
Feel better, our friend!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Phil is home now and doing fine. Chris and Frosty at Harrahs car museum

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
excuse no caps. surgery went well. doc used a nerve block which worked great till it wore off. I had taken first pain meds at 6:30pm and noticed being able to move my fingers at 7:00. by 7:30 I was hurting worse than I can remember ever. at 9:30 we called the doc and were told to take 1 tab then and 2 more at 10:30.

that worked and I've been fairly pain-free since. i'm really dopey-feeling, but that's ok. won't post much till I have some use of my left hand.

i'm grateful for all the thoughts and prayers!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Glad the surgery went will. Now just sit back, enjoy the drugs (if they don't make you sick), and heal quickly. We will understand that your prolific posting may be on "pause" for a while. Or at least as long as you can stand it.

tawilke46

Hang in there Phil! It takes time and some tolerance for the pain, but it does get better. In a few months you will be as good as new!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Glad all went well, So what did the Doc do to your hand. What part of the hand was broken, How was it fixed? Inquiring minds want to know. Are you toting any new hardware now?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I don't think they use pins, screws, and plates in patients over 60 any more. Instead they just use zip-ties, wing nuts, and super glue. Most of us have some un-fixable parts at our age.

With complications like infections, adheasions, calcification, poor circulation, etc. we present the medical profession with some great challenges. But we mostly get better (or so we think) and go ride our motorcycles again anyway.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've got 6 pins in my hand. 4 stick out the side of the palm away from the thumb near the wrist. they hold the broken bones in the 2 little finger. then there are 2 that are on top of my hand on either side the distal end of the bone connected to my middle finger.

today they made a brace for my hand and my job for this weekend is to keep my hand elevated and not to move the pinned fingers.

the zip-ties seem pretty snug but I don't know if he used enough moly-60

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Phil - Just back from our cross-country 12,000 camping adventure (Eurovan, not 2 wheels) and cruise to Alaska. Now getting my NT- Owner Forum fix. So sorry to hear about your "deer hunting" attempt but glad you are okay and on the mend. Didn't make it to CO, but we did get to see 30 states. We'll chat soon.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Glad the surgery went well. Will continue the prayers. Good thing you were not moose hunting.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
wine-barr said: "It is too bad it wasn't a moose. He probably could have driven underneath it, their legs are so long."

they're not THAT tall! i'm glad he was a little mule deer.

interesting process going on -- one of pins into 5th metacarpal has backed out close to 1/2". therapist says it happens -- doc will see it Tuesday.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
hil,

am not certIIN bout the INTR+ERESTING, but I hVE new unopened bottle of Gorrilla glue here on the esk, should I mail it to you??:tongue:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
hil,

am not certIIN bout the INTR+ERESTING, but I hVE new unopened bottle of Gorrilla glue here on the esk, should I mail it to you??:tongue:

no thanks! I want it to come out when it's done it's job.

Top Bottom