Heli Bars/clutch cable

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours,
Hi guys and gals,
I added the Heli Bars riser kit to my NT this spring. Love the riding position. When I installed the clutch cable I had a bear of a time getting the cable into the little slot in the clutch arm at the engine. I did spread the fork just a tad in order to get the end of the cable to go in there. I adjusted the clutch and all was well...until the other day my clutch lever went limp on my way home from a day trip. I was able to limp home the 20 miles to home by running several stop signs. Not good!
I was able to get the cable back into the clutch arm and readjusted the clutch hoping to have slightly more tension on the cable without actuating the clutch.
My question is has anyone else had this issue? I did try to close the fork in the clutch arm up a little. Not sure if I actually did or not. If you have done this job you know how hard it is to work in this area. Any tips or ideas appreciated.
JML

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've changed a few clutch cables on NTs and have never had to modify the clip on the clutch arm.

You need to loosen the fairing on the right side so you can actually see what you're doing. The fairing doesn't have to come off but removing 3 bolts will allow you to wedge something in there to make it pop out and provide more clearance.

Bike
2010 NT RED
I've also installed the Heli Bar riser kit. Did not have to "adjust" anything to attach cable to clutch arm. After a year in service the clutch cable broke right at the clutch arm. Same sort of ride that you had going home, ran a few stop signs. Throttle cables are still in service, but looking into replacing them this summer. Does anybody have a recommendation on a company for custom replacement cables? I replaced the clutch cable with a cable from a Trans Alp.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've had custom length cables made by Motion Pro with great success. I get the solid black versions so they look identical to stock Honda and seem to last as long. The cost is roughly $35-$45 each and they have standard NT cables in their inventory so you're not required to send your old cables for a match-up.

I believe Barnett also makes custom-length cables but I've never used them.

ps. you also need to make sure the cable run is straight at the lever on the engine and also at the clutch lever perch. Having a bend at those fixed points put a strain on the cable.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Is the TransAlp cable long enough for the 3-1/2" rise of the Helibars? Personally I thought that cable was tight with the common 1" up and 1" back SW-moto Risers.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
This is where modern 'safety' stuff gets you.

On my older bike I just come to a stop and let the engine die. When need to go hit the starter button. Bikes moves, engine starts and off you go. Hard on starter, but, it gets you home. Newer bikes won't let you start with clutch engaged and in gear.

For those not familiar, make sure to put grease in the socket of the clutch lever every now and then (remove cable from lever, add grease, install cable). I do it after I have been in heavy rain or every couple of weeks of city riding.

I thought my new to me 2010 with riser-backs made the clutch cable too taut. It looks kinked to me. Just after the ferrule at the lever.

So which transalp cable gives more room? And would it be too much for a non heli bar reach such as I have?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Our Helibar kit came with a longer clutch and throttle cabels. I too didn't have to modify anything to fit the clutch cable. Bike has over 15k on the Helibar cable with no issues. I don't recall how much longer the Helibar clutch cable was but I would guess at least 2 inches over stock (Could be even more than that. Not sure as I didn't measure the replacement cable to the OEM cable).

Is the TransAlp cable long enough for the 3-1/2" rise of the Helibars? Personally I thought that cable was tight with the common 1" up and 1" back SW-moto Risers.

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Just got a Helibars kit that included a Barnett clutch cable.
Clutch Cables.JPG
Clutch cables from top to bottom:
Original OEM (aound 43.25")
Honda Trans Alp (aound 45.25")
Barnett cable (around 48") from Helibars kit

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Just got a Helibars kit that included a Barnett clutch cable.
Clutch Cables.JPG
Clutch cables from top to bottom:
Original OEM (aound 43.25")
Honda Trans Alp (aound 45.25")
Barnett cable (around 48") from Helibars kit
Thanx, Frosty - that's just what I needed. I'll need a replacement cable eventually and would like to have one on hand before its needed.

Now - wonder where I can get one. Is Helibars the only source?

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Doug,

Heli has Barnett make the cables/hoses for their NT kits. Heli says that they are not going to make kits for the NT700 anymore due to the cost of cables and hoses. Here is the site for Barnett:
http://www.barnettclutches.com/cables.html

The label on the Barnett clutch cable package had this info:

HELI MODIFIED INC.
2010 HONDA NT700
150-0105
CLUTCH CABLE

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Doug, go to http://www.barnettclutches.com/cables.html and click on "How to order custom Cables". They give you a phone number to call. You can talk with them and ask if they can give you the one in the Helibars kit, or just as them to make you up one for the NT with a length of 48". Motion Pro should be able to make you up one as well.

Opps, looks like Frosty beat me to it. Guess I was a bit...:turtle:

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Chris,

The Barnett clutch cable is 2.75" longer than the Trans Alp clutch cable. The Helibars moves the handle bars a little over 4" closer to the rider. The Trans Alp should work on the SW-MOTECH Handlebar riser barbacks. I have been using those without modifying anything. YMMV. I needed just a little more back and the Helibars were the only option. Looks like a nice kit.

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
2 Things, How hard is the install? Couple hours? or will I have to send my wife and kids out of ear shot??
I'm concerned that the Helibar will move the bars too far back...I'm 6-01...any of you guys my height?

Thinking about the heli bars because after about 100 miles my right wrist starts to hurt...I use a throttle lock and palm throttle to ease the hand cramps.
Please respond as I have a 2000 mile trip coming up soon.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
2 Things, How hard is the install? Couple hours? or will I have to send my wife and kids out of ear shot??
I'm concerned that the Helibar will move the bars too far back...I'm 6-01...any of you guys my height?

Thinking about the heli bars because after about 100 miles my right wrist starts to hurt...I use a throttle lock and palm throttle to ease the hand cramps.
Please respond as I have a 2000 mile trip coming up soon.
The install is not that hard, but there are some things to do that are more than just "twist-a-bolt." The kit comes with longer cables, but also with a longer brake hose. That means you will have to bleed out the hose, then refill with brake fluid after the Helibars are on. You'll want to have fresh fluid, so you want to have some on hand before. I had someone else working with me (or should I say I was helping the guy who really did the work), so I can't speak for how long it will take, but except for the brake hose, it wasn't all that difficult.

I'm six foot even, and the Helibars are perfect for me. I doubt they will move you too far back. Keep in mind - most likely, you're going to need an afterward market windshield.

Good luck -

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
Thanks Comanche....you being close to my height settled my concerns. Ordered the kit from JCmotors and got it in 2 days. Decided that the install involved too many critical things so I'm having it installed at the "local" Honda dealer on the 29th...leaving Oct 3 for a trip to the gulf coast....may ad a 100 miles to the trip down to "slay" the dragon. The pics recently posted by Fireman1028 really stoked my interest.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[I needed just a little more back and the Helibars were the only option...Frosty]

Yes, I've seen the kit parts and it's actually a bargain at that price!. I believe the rise for the Heli-Bar kit is around 3-1/2" which I felt was too much for me so I went in another direction.

I bought Rox Risers/w rubber dampers plus had custom cables made by Motion Pro and a friend helped me in getting a longer front brake hose. They are advertised as "2" rise" but the true measurement is 2-3/8". One of the Heli-bar kit parts is a 5" brake line extension so that's an alternative path.

The main reason I bought the Rox Risers with rubber dampers was to reduce or minimize vibration at the grips which was numbing my left hand on long slab runs. They eliminated that plus I found an added benefit in that the rubber helped absorb shock from a lot of small bumps. That last benefit came clear as I continue to fiddle with front end settings on my NC700X.

Last edited:
Top Bottom