Helmet security

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am thinking of a different approach here cause I am spoiled on the connie with a very quick rear mounted normal helmet lock. Certainly a cable lock would work, but I am thinking
of buying a standard key operated helmet lock and putting it onto a braket on my new Alu-rack on the rear. Quick one handed operation. True, I could steal one of the two
off of my connie and use that but I cant help thinking I could buy another, new or used or that someone out therre makes something that will bolt on. The truth is out there.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Chris,
I had the same idea as you, to add a lock to the bike but I never really found a location I liked. I now put my helmet in the large left pannier and that works 90% of the time for me. I carry a backup lock for the other 10%.
On my old 1000 Connie I moved the original locks to the rear above the license plate which worked well. The Connie's original design did not work well for me. You had to remove a pannier to access the lock location.

Brad

Motopilot

I bought a small combination-type lock that I use to lock the d-ring on the helmet to the clutch handle. (the ball on the end of the clutch handle keeps it on.) I hang the helmet on the mirror. Small, convenient, and just secure enough to keep someone from walking away with the helmet. If they want to cut the d-ring off, go ahead, and then I guess I'll use something more secure next time.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yeah, my connie has the rear set helmet locks too and I am addicted. CAnt put the helmet inside the big lids during touring...too full of junk. I am going to see what I can find that requires 3 seconds.....I am old and dont have that much time left on earth to do a combination lock. (Hey Motopilot, dont you know airplanes are dangerous? ;)
OK, I decided to just get the Helmet Gardian. Its expensive at $60 shipped but it looks nice and mounts easy with a special wrench and bolts on the licence plate area and has two locks. The el-cheapo single locks that I could have adapted dont pop open or closed by themselves , which I didnt like. And I would have had to fabricate a braket for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom