Helmet security

I am thinking of a different approach here cause I am spoiled on the connie with a very quick rear mounted normal helmet lock. Certainly a cable lock would work, but I am thinking
of buying a standard key operated helmet lock and putting it onto a braket on my new Alu-rack on the rear. Quick one handed operation. True, I could steal one of the two
off of my connie and use that but I cant help thinking I could buy another, new or used or that someone out therre makes something that will bolt on. The truth is out there.

Chris,
I had the same idea as you, to add a lock to the bike but I never really found a location I liked. I now put my helmet in the large left pannier and that works 90% of the time for me. I carry a backup lock for the other 10%.
On my old 1000 Connie I moved the original locks to the rear above the license plate which worked well. The Connie's original design did not work well for me. You had to remove a pannier to access the lock location.

Brad

I bought a small combination-type lock that I use to lock the d-ring on the helmet to the clutch handle. (the ball on the end of the clutch handle keeps it on.) I hang the helmet on the mirror. Small, convenient, and just secure enough to keep someone from walking away with the helmet. If they want to cut the d-ring off, go ahead, and then I guess I'll use something more secure next time.

Yeah, my connie has the rear set helmet locks too and I am addicted. CAnt put the helmet inside the big lids during touring...too full of junk. I am going to see what I can find that requires 3 seconds.....I am old and dont have that much time left on earth to do a combination lock. (Hey Motopilot, dont you know airplanes are dangerous? ;)
OK, I decided to just get the Helmet Gardian. Its expensive at $60 shipped but it looks nice and mounts easy with a special wrench and bolts on the licence plate area and has two locks. The el-cheapo single locks that I could have adapted dont pop open or closed by themselves , which I didnt like. And I would have had to fabricate a braket for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom