HID Conversion information

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Scott, didn't notice any info about how many $$$$ in that link.

So... how many $$$$?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Is this for real? Or am I misreading it? $65.99 for everything? And it's easy to install? Incredible!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
HID kits are not expensive. I've done them on the ST1300 before and I would be using them on both my bikes if it wasn't for the interference they give off to my CB radio.

Question: Does the NT have a hi and low bulb meaning two bulbs and each are single filaments or does it use a single bulb with dual filaments?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Cycle Gear has some off brand H7 HID kits on sale for $49.99 but they don't look real user friendly for those who don't like to do wiring mods...

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Cycle Gear has some off brand H7 HID kits on sale for $49.99 but they don't look real user friendly for those who don't like to do wiring mods...
They do look intimidating at first.... but once you lay everything out on the floor it's mostly an issue of where to stuff the ballasts and wiring in a neat way.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
They do look intimidating at first.... but once you lay everything out on the floor it's mostly an issue of where to stuff the ballasts and wiring in a neat way.
I agree, and the advantage of having bikes with fairings is there is always someplace to "stuff" and hide things...

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Also, whether you use HID kits, higher power bulbs or just the OEM bulbs, always carry spares... Even when I had HIDs installed, they would be easy to disconnect and install normal bulbs if I had any issues. The ST is nice as you have 2 dual filament bulbs so the odds of both low beams and both high beam bulbs going out is pretty low but I still carry extras just in case.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
So, Mellow, if the HIDs are so nice, why don't you have them on the ST now?

Is there some kind of downside to them?

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
So, Mellow, if the HIDs are so nice, why don't you have them on the ST now?

Is there some kind of downside to them?
I like running a CB radio and there's a lot of interference which means I have to turn the squelch up to probably year 90%.. that also means my usable range is decrease to maybe shouting distance...

It's a tough trade off and I'm wondering if I'd rather have the HIDs and just keep the CB for close-communication w/other riders. I hit the highways a lot and listening to the things truckers are talking about is important if trying to avoid traffic jams, speed traps, debris, etc.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
OK, I understand that. I don't use a CB and haven't for many years, but can understand why you would.

OP
OP

SCDAUB

Are any wiring harness mods required or are these "plug and play"?
Plug and Play. I had to cut a small slot in the rubber boot for the new bulb and wires. I then, "sealed" it back with silicone.
Other than that... nada.

Scott

OP
OP

SCDAUB

Also,

FWIW... the newest, best, top-O-the line Osram Silver Star Ultra H7 is PALE in comparison to this beast. The Halogen is an efficient and proven light source, but still suffers from the fact it has a filament. The energy that is put into the halogen is only used in maybe 50% of the light that comes out. Meaning, the other 50% of energy is wasted in the form of heat. HID's are NON FILAMENT. An extremely high voltage current is passed thru xenon and other gasses which convert about 90% of the available energy to light. The HID's run a lot cooler and do not suffer from a filament breaking as there is not one to break. Also, by varying the voltage and or gas composition, the various degrees of kelvin are achieved. This is also something that is not really achievable with halogen natively. The glass is tinted blue to create the HID effect. Long story short, the insane brightness has been mentioned. People DO notice me MUCH more now. The non-standard color coupled with the extreme intensity makes for one hard to miss motorcycle. If your pissed looking at my head light, then your AWARE of me, and thus I am a tad safer.
Scott

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Also,

FWIW... the newest, best, top-O-the line Osram Silver Star Ultra H7 is PALE in comparison to this beast. The Halogen is an efficient and proven light source, but still suffers from the fact it has a filament. The energy that is put into the halogen is only used in maybe 50% of the light that comes out. Meaning, the other 50% of energy is wasted in the form of heat. HID's are NON FILAMENT. An extremely high voltage current is passed thru xenon and other gasses which convert about 90% of the available energy to light. The HID's run a lot cooler and do not suffer from a filament breaking as there is not one to break. Also, by varying the voltage and or gas composition, the various degrees of kelvin are achieved. This is also something that is not really achievable with halogen natively. The glass is tinted blue to create the HID effect. Long story short, the insane brightness has been mentioned. People DO notice me MUCH more now. The non-standard color coupled with the extreme intensity makes for one hard to miss motorcycle. If your pissed looking at my head light, then your AWARE of me, and thus I am a tad safer.
Scott
One issue that some ST Owner had was on the ST and probably also on the NT, the headlight is on as soon as the key is in the on position, when you press the starter the headlight is cut off to allow maximum voltage to the starter. That On-Off-On sometimes causes the HIDs to not ignite..

The solution for this was to either 1) install a headlight cutoff switch and keep it off until the bike is running then kick on the headlight/HID or 2) Bike in Neutral, press the starter button then turn the key on - this keeps the headlight from coming on - once the bike starts and your finger is off the starter button, the headlight/HID ignites.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
One issue that some ST Owner had was on the ST and probably also on the NT, the headlight is on as soon as the key is in the on position, when you press the starter the headlight is cut off to allow maximum voltage to the starter. That On-Off-On sometimes causes the HIDs to not ignite..

Joe, I'm pretty sure that the NT's headlight doesn't come on until after you've hit the starter button, so that wouldn't be an issue for us.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Joe, I'm pretty sure that the NT's headlight doesn't come on until after you've hit the starter button, so that wouldn't be an issue for us.
I believe that is incorrect. The NT light comes on with the key and then turns off while starter cranks.
Phil I think you are remembering your Connie. That is how the old Concours worked.

Brad

Top Bottom