Hjc symax ii

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The day I picked Jezabell up from the dealership I bought a helmet and gloves for the ride home as well. Looked at the Symax II but passed.
Been looking at them since that time and finally broke down and bought a pair of them for my wife and I. Mine are pearl White and they look great. Fits nice in the house so far with pockets for speakers that are illegal in MA and have a very cool sun visor than slides down with a slider on the top of the helmet and releases with a button up there as well. I am looking forward to trying these out on the bike as soon as some snow melts around here.
The key points so far are SunJa didn't kill me for spending the bucks. I am willing to take what I see as a reduction in protection for more comfort and am looking forward to trying these out.

Did a little happy dance and almost fell on my butt on the glacier aka my driveway...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've had both the original Sy-Max and also the Sy-Max II. I've been very happy with the II as it addressed some gripes I
had with the original version.

MAC

My Bride and I both have the HJC's and love them. She has the flip-up and mine is just a full-face. I would like to shake the hand of the person who though of internal sun-glasses. Now on shaded back roads you just put them up and down when needed. My next helmet will be a flip also, no more taking the helmet off when having a drink.

fpavko

I was very undecided about full face vs flip up and finally went with the Shoei Qwest about two weeks ago now. Can't comment on performance as yet. Too much snow and too cold. Qwest does not have some of the neat features you mention regarding Sy-Max II but it is supposed to be on the low noise side and that was a priority for me.

prof98801

I also bought the Shoei Qwest helmet. Have taken it out on the highway and it is very quiet. I was surprised as I did not have ear plugs in either. My Olympia Airglide mess III jacket was very warm too.

fpavko

The helmet I used for the past two years is a HJC CL-31 open-face. A fine helmet but wind was a problem if you were going any distance. It also provided no protection to the face, a real problem after reading crash stats for motorcycles. I really don't know if I will like the full-face Qwest or not. The Sy-Max II and Qwest both fit well and I thought long and hard about some of the features of Sy-Max but in the end, the way the face shield operated and how it was removed, along with the supposed quietness caused me to move in favor of the Quest. Could go back and pick up the Sy-Max if I can't make the transition all the way to full-face.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
For me, full-face helmets got awfully expensive. I would take my glasses off, lay them on the tank bag, put on the helmet, find the glasses where they had blown off the tank bag, look at the scratches on the lens, then put them on. Same deal when I took them off. I didn't always drop them, but maybe 1% of the time (or even less) accumulated a lot of scratches. I tried the original Sy-Max and the face shield leaked in the rain and wouldn't always stay cracked open (or even wide open) in strong crosswinds or when passing semis. I got a Nolan N-102 and liked it until I totaled it and my Connie. Now I've got the newest Nolan and like it just fine.

Igo

I found this helmet in my odd size in silver at closeout and free shipping so a new helmet is on the way.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I found this helmet in my odd size in silver at closeout and free shipping so a new helmet is on the way.
Got me a new one a month ago. It is in the closet until the one I wear now, wears out. I have been wearing HJC Symax and Symax II's for about 7 to 8 years now. Great value for the money.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Looking forward to using it, will let you know how it works for me. Mileage for the year still at 0.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have been wearing HJC Symax and Symax II's for about 7 to 8 years now. Great value for the money.
Chuck,

I had a Symax years ago -- it was the first flip-front helmet I bought -- and it the shield would blow shut whenever I passed a truck in a strong cross-wind. Plus, it leaked lots of water inside the face shield when it rained.

Do they still do that?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck,

I had a Symax years ago -- it was the first flip-front helmet I bought -- and it the shield would blow shut whenever I passed a truck in a strong cross-wind. Plus, it leaked lots of water inside the face shield when it rained.

Do they still do that?
I have been very happy with mine.

Igo

I'm very pleased to hear this. Most of my gear is cruiser style/type gear so I've got some up-dating to do.

Igo

I've never owned anything like this and I won't own any of the other kinds again. I was thrilled to death to jump off my bike, walk in and pick up my breakfast sandwich without having to take off and put back on my helmet. I was thrilled to death to drop the sun shade at the blinks of an eye when I drove into the sun as it broke over the mountains at sunrise this morning. I was thrilled to death to be able to put on my glasses without surgery and I was thrilled to be able to close everything down in horrific cross winds or open it up in the sunshine. Most marvelous. It's probably the most comfortable full faced helmet I've ever owned but time will reveal more on that one.
It may be a little noisey but I don't really have anything to compare it to as I haven't used full faced helmets in 20 years. There is a baffle that circle the ears. Seems that there is plenty room to introduce more sound deadening material in there if need be.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I've never owned anything like this and I won't own any of the other kinds again. I was thrilled to death to jump off my bike, walk in and pick up my breakfast sandwich without having to take off and put back on my helmet. I was thrilled to death to drop the sun shade at the blinks of an eye when I drove into the sun as it broke over the mountains at sunrise this morning. I was thrilled to death to be able to put on my glasses without surgery and I was thrilled to be able to close everything down in horrific cross winds or open it up in the sunshine. Most marvelous. It's probably the most comfortable full faced helmet I've ever owned but time will reveal more on that one.
It may be a little noisey but I don't really have anything to compare it to as I haven't used full faced helmets in 20 years. There is a baffle that circle the ears. Seems that there is plenty room to introduce more sound deadening material in there if need be.
Two words, Ear Plugs
Added advantage is, your bike runs much smoother with earplugs in your ears:cool:

Last edited:

Igo

I'm going to wear ear plugs. I'm also looking at the Cee Baileys windshield to help quite things down some but just can't decide if I want a bigger screen or not.

Igo

I have no issue with you giving my bike a spin to check out anything we do to them. The lake is a great place for peaceful test drives of anything.
The Cee Bailey has a 15% discount through February. I want to keep the bike as thin as possible but the Honda shiedl is really minimalist for the speed limits we have out here.

Top Bottom