OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
[QUOTE=Stormrider

The only problem I have now is that I let my wife wear the SyMax II and now she wants one. I'm betting I don't find another one for $75.

John/ I got a pair of white (pearl) ones for my wife and I and have yet to try them out. Half a dozen or so if you include the SA ones and most of them are white. They keep your head cooler than going bare headed in the sun. My solar collector is painted flat black for a reason, it grabs heat. What little hearing I have left has become precious to me ear plugs allow you to hear normal sounds and block what will hurt you. I wear them all the time even with my half lid.
enjoy

Peace2U_2

purchased the full face HJC with built in sun visor last spring. Best investment i ever made. I LOVE the fact that with just a touch of finger while ridin the bike....can have sun protection accessed or removed over eyes with the touch of a finger. I would purchase one again.

which brings up a question : how often do you change out your helmets? every couple of years? thoughts? opinions?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
which brings up a question : how often do you change out your helmets? every couple of years? thoughts? opinions?
Most helmet manufactures recommend replacing your helmet every five years. With the heat and humidity here I average around every three years...

If you drop your helmet that can be grounds for replacement due to a helmet is a "one shot" protection. A serious drop can effectively use up that "one shot" by delaminating the shell causing a weak spot....

elizilla

I'm pretty good about not letting them get banged around and beat up, but the cushions inside start to wear out after a while and they get less comfortable. And I like to have two decent helmets on the shelf ready to go, at any given time. So I get a new one about once every two years. I rarely pay full price for them - I wait for them to come on sale.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have no issue with you giving my bike a spin to check out anything we do to them.
Igo
Interesting statement. I had a new motorcycle totaled by a friend that I let take for a spin. Every since then I have been uncomfortable letting anyone ride my bikes but sometimes I feel guilty about it. Anyone else have a problem with letting others ride their bikes?

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have a few friends who I've let ride my bikes. I've got other friends who I'd never let ride 'em. The one guy I really wanted to ride it decided that he wasn't interested in even trying it.

elizilla

In 2003, a few weeks after I bought my V-Strom, I let my friend Chuck ride it. I was a little concerned for him because his bike, the only bike he'd ever owned, was a 1978 CB750. He handled the CB OK but I knew the Strom was a whole different kettle of fish. But he wanted to ride it, so we traded bikes. I specifically warned him not to grab a big handful of throttle, because it would respond so much more quickly. I led out on the CB750, and he followed. As I twisted the throttle hard just to get the CB to go at all, I looked in the mirror and saw the V-Strom's headlight pointed at the sky. OMG! I knew he didn't have any experience doing wheelies. But he managed to bring it down and not crash. Whew!

The V-Strom was brand new - the insurance company would have bought me another one just like it. But where would I get another Chuck? That's the problem here.

I'll still let people ride my bikes. Bikes can be replaced, I have insurance, it's not that big a deal. But if I think they'll hurt themselves, I have no problem telling them no.

And Chuck? He's now riding a 5th gen VFR. I think he's pretty good at modulating throttles these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have a few friends who I've let ride my bikes. I've got other friends who I'd never let ride 'em. The one guy I really wanted to ride it decided that he wasn't interested in even trying it.
Yep Phil, I have had the same friend tell me the same thing.:wink:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Yep Phil, I have had the same friend tell me the same thing.:wink:
Chuck, I did get him to at least sit on it. The last time we met, I put the stock saddle back on. He also didn't know that there was a lowering kit available. It's at least on his radar now that he knows that. I think he might have riddenit it if I hadn't told him that I've always wanted to ride an ST1100. :)

I'll be curious about tomorrow's weather when I get up. Local forecast says snow starting tonight, lows in the upper 20s, mostly sunny tomorrow with highs in the 50s and snow likely. Go figure!

Haven't heard anything from Jim Kerr up in Conifer or from my friend Tim down in Parker, so it's looking like it'll be you and me.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck, I did get him to at least sit on it. The last time we met, I put the stock saddle back on. He also didn't know that there was a lowering kit available. It's at least on his radar now that he knows that. I think he might have riddenit it if I hadn't told him that I've always wanted to ride an ST1100. :)

I'll be curious about tomorrow's weather when I get up. Local forecast says snow starting tonight, lows in the upper 20s, mostly sunny tomorrow with highs in the 50s and snow likely. Go figure!

Haven't heard anything from Jim Kerr up in Conifer or from my friend Tim down in Parker, so it's looking like it'll be you and me.
Thats OK, If the weather does not cooperate we caqn get together another time also.

Igo

I wouldn't mind if he put it to 50mph out at the Lake. Northshore road is probably the safest place I've ever ridden a motorcycle. That's probably part of the road's appeal, it's relaxing.

Igo

Anyway, if Rick and I switched bike and he wrecked my bike I just wouldn't give his back. They look the same, have the same farkles and have the same miles on them. As a matter of fact, I can't really think of a good reson to switch bikes for that matter.

Peace2U_2

unless they want to pay for it......they are NOT ridin' it :)

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Karl,

One thing some people do not know 'bout the SY-Max is that you can get the sunshade one notch lower by.... Holding the release button down and at the same time pushing the shade adjuster forward as far forward as possible, then release the release button followed by the adjuster thingy. :smile:

Dave C :cool:
Thanks Dave. My wife may be able to use that tip, my nose gets in the way. :)

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Well most of the season has passed and I have lived with the helmet for a while now and I like it. My other helmet is an HJC CL16 and is my baseline at this point. I like being able to put it on and take it off with my glasses on. the ability to open the face shield to talk to people is very nice. It is even reasonably quiet when you shut the visor and all the vents. Have not given it the gully washer test but normal rain seems to run off well enough. The chin area is tighter (closer) to my chin that the CL16 but not in a bothersome way. Airflow through the vents is very good will have to see how it deals with fogging in cooler weather. I love the sun shield that slides down and popps back up at a touch.

I find it difficult to spend a bunch of money on what is essentially a perishable item. Comfort on the other hand has quite a bit of value making rides more enjoyable. Having the proper fit is essential not only for comfort but protection as well. Getting properly fitted is a big deal that may not be best served with an on line purchase. Be certain about return policy on things like helmets one that does not fit is of no use to you.

May not be as good as a Schuberth but it makes me very happy. The protection/comfort/cost mix works for me.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Let us know how it works in a gully-washer. I had the original Symax and liked it except for the fact that almost as much rain would be inside the faceshield as outside. Plus if I tried to leave the shield cracked a bit on really hot days, the detents wouldn't hold it open when I passed a truck. Other than that I liked it a lot.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I would caution that the two HJC modular helmets that were tested by Sharp had around a 50% failure when the face guard did not remain locked when impacted. I do not know if the Sy Max II has the same locking system or not.

I bought a Nolan N90. It is the more round and fits my fat head and the most comfortable yet solid feeling helmet I have ever had. During ECE test, it was the only flip helmet that did not open and is not that expensive. Webbike world rated it their favorite helmet. The internal sunvisor is great and because the ear area is not indented, glasses fit very easily.

Jim

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I bought a Nolan N90. It is the more round and fits my fat head and the most comfortable yet solid feeling helmet I have ever had. During ECE test, it was the only flip helmet that did not open and is not that expensive. Webbike world rated it their favorite helmet. The internal sunvisor is great and because the ear area is not indented, glasses fit very easily.

Jim
In the Sharp ratings all three Nolan modular helmets (N102,N103,N90) had a 100% rating meaning they had zero opening's after impact. I also have an N90.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
And the "Sharp" ratings for the reviewed Helmet? Phil my CL 16 vizor slams shut at speed the symax ll stays open. Have not tested the latch yet and hope not to. If mine pops open and I can still type you will read the report here.

Top Bottom