Home Tire Inflation

Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
Anyone have any recommendations on a 110 volt air compressor or inflator? I'm looking for a unit to maintain car and NT's tire pressures. This unit will be left in the garage and will be used for tire inflation only (no air tools, brad nailers, etc...). Thanks for your input.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I purchased one from Walmart several years ago and frankly I found it to be more hassle than it was worth. I currently use a hand/floor pump that has a built in guage. If you get one for cars rather than bicycles it can top off your tire in less than 10 pumps.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Red, I'd like to know too. Anyone have any good low budget suggestions?
I hate getting my air from the broken Quik Trip chuck with the air tank full of water

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I use this one:

What I really like about it is that I don't have to plug it into an outlet to pump up tires. On a full battery it will easily maintain the tires on all 5 of my vehicles for several months. I don't often use the light and have never used the 12v outlet. It is the cordless feature that I like the best. It also has a pressure gauge on top that you can set and the compressor will stop when it reaches that pressure. This is also quite convenient as you can set it and not have to stare at the thing while it inflates the tire. You just wait for it to shut off and then double check with a gauge. Easy.

I can walk out to the driveway and top off tires without getting an extension cord out and all that business. Very convenient. The original battery died after 2-3 years so I pulled the battery out and was able to buy a replacement for $10 or so. Good as new.

I'm not necessarily wedded to this particular pump but if I were to replace it I'd look for cordless and settable pressure gauge as 2 key features.

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've got one of these from harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/2-horsepower-6-gallon-150-psi-oilless-pancake-compressor-67696.html

Works great.. I also have a version of one of these air tanks I fill up just in case I want to top off the tires but don't want to start up a noisy compressor

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html

But, I also do a lot of tire changes for folks... prior to that, I used one like in Rob's post.. any cheapo portable air compressor should do the trick. It may be noisy and take a while but it will work.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have an older version of this style Campbell HausfeldRP410099AV 120V Inflator with Gauge and Presta-to-Schrader Valve Adapter from Sears. One thing I suggest you look for is the ability to add air line, and accessories, rather than using an electrical extension cord to move the unit around the garage. Long electrical extension cords can have quite a large voltage drop, air lines don't drop pressure...and they are a lot cheaper. I bought an extra fifty feet of coiled air line for $4 at Northern Tools and it has lasted for several years. My inflator's pressure gauge is far off I just ignore it and added a nice quick connect air chuck with a decent gauge....

Attachments

Bike
2010 NT700V
I have the Harbor Freight 3 gallon. If you watch their web site, or subscribe to their emails, you will eventually be able to buy it for $39 plus shipping. Forget their 1 gallon size. Good only for bicycle tires, and you don't want to be in a hurry even for that.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
Alright guys, I have a proposition. Seems as though each unit that was recommended has it's benefits. If you each send me YOUR favorite device on a rotating schedule, I will review each and provide my feedback. Of course this means I won't have to buy one myself =)

Thanks for the links and input. I'll have to chew on the info. provided before making a choice.

Thanks again.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I have one I got a Sears. It's red, I'll have to look at it when I get home. I check the tire pressure on all the bikes every Saturday. Sometimes I even need to add air.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I bought a small compressor made by Slime. This unit has the SAE plug--same as the plug that accomodates the Battery Tender. It also has an adapter for a 12V Cigarette Plug. It has a guage and is small enough to carry on the bike. Cost is about $35. and is worth every penny. That unit with a tyre repair kit is the way to go. I plug it in to the bike, fire up the engine, and check the tyres. For the cage, I use the 12V Cigarette plug adapter and to those tyres as well.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have 6 compressors. One the old type with little dolly wheels. One pancake type. One smaller pancake type. One airbrush type. One Slime type on the bike.

And one like this

http://www.costco.com/Peak®-450-Amp-Jump-Starter.product.11612553.html

This is the one that gets the most use around the property. It gets my lawn tractor started (and the motorcycle when necessary) and airs up tires. Once charged, no cords and fairly light. It is my tool of choice when getting a vehicle ready for the road. The truck tires do strain it a bit with the volume of air they need.

elizilla

I was suffering major analysis paralysis, when I bought my first real garage-size air compressor. In fact I got so stuck, trying to figure out what to get, that I put off buying for years after deciding I was going to get one. Then one day, as I was using my portable 12v pump to air up my tires after visiting my third gas station in hopes of finding a working air pump, I said "this is STUPID" and I rode home, got my car, drove to the local auto parts store, marched in and bought the first suitable compressor I saw that fit my budget. I think I paid $60 or so for it. That compressor lasted six or seven years and I was happy I owned it, every time I used it. When it developed a leak that made it less powerful, and I couldn't figure out how to repair it without getting it welded, I went to Sears and bought a similar size and configuration compressor for a little more money, that will hopefully last longer.

One of the things I later bought to go with it, was a $20 impact wrench from HF. I have used that wrench maybe five times, but every time I was thrilled that I had it - it made otherwise-nightmarish tasks, easy as pie. I also use the compressed air nozzle to do things like blow through carb jets or blow the dust away before I pull spark plugs. And of course I air up tires. I don't do painting or nail guns or anything like that, so I don't use it heavily. But when I use it I am always so glad not to be dependent on gas stations.

Anyway, my recommendation is, just buy one. You can't go wrong.

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
I grabbed 2 "Slime" compressors, 1 for each car, at Tractor Supply. Beware, the gauge is about 10 psi off, but they're cheap and have lasted 2 years so far (use each a couple of times a month at least). I measure the actual PSI with a good gauge.

I actually have a tiny compressor for the motorcycle, too. (I've had to plug tires before, not much use if you can't fill them with air afterwards.) I got the compressor from Aerostich Rider Wearhouse (internet.) I believe it was their "brand." Quite compact and useful. It has lasted a few years, so far.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got the Aerostitch house-brand compressor, too. I don't think I'd ever use it to air up a car tire, but it's fine for the bike.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700V #1001
Katherine, I think you hit the nail on the head: I have "analysis paralysis".
I have been leisurely searching for a compressor/inflator for the past few weeks and have been overwhelmed with the choices. I appreciate the advice everyone has provided but I haven't found one common unit that everyone seems to prefer.
In the end, I may very well choose something within my price range and live with it(your advice). It's gotta be better than the gas station alternative.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Red,
I agree you should just buy one in $$ range. You may find you use it more than you thought and for other things. If later you need something larger you will have a better idea exactly what fits your needs.
I don't use mine all that much but I do have a couple air tools and a paint sprayer. Mine is minimal for cut off wheel and paint but I am pleased I have it. Mine is a Cambell Hausfield with old style cast iron cylinder.

Brad

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Katherine, I think you hit the nail on the head: I have "analysis paralysis".
I have been leisurely searching for a compressor/inflator for the past few weeks and have been overwhelmed with the choices. I appreciate the advice everyone has provided but I haven't found one common unit that everyone seems to prefer.
In the end, I may very well choose something within my price range and live with it(your advice). It's gotta be better than the gas station alternative.
If you don't have any air tools, I wouldn't bother with an air compressor type unit. Worry about one of those when you actually need/want air tools. You'll need to match the compressor to the tool so trying to "forward think" that is not worth it until you know what you need. Those things are way overkill for just tire inflation. They are also a bit on the loud side and need to have the tank drained after each use (to avoid internal rust) which means every time you go to use it, you have to fill the tank which can take a minute or 2. By then, I'd have my little (read easy to store) portable inflater off the shelf and my tires pumped up (all without ear plugs). :cool: Super easy and quick operation.

I have a fairly large air compressor (5HP 60gal Ingersol Rand) in the basement with 3/4" copper piping to a regulator and hose reel in the garage. Very convenient to use but I never use it for pumping up tires. That is for air tools and blowing out my irrigation system. I also have two other air compressors (pancake and slightly larger 20 gal horizontal unit on wheels) and again never use them to pump up tires. I always reach for the easy, quick and small portable tire inflater.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
AS usual, I dance to a different drummer. I used 20 percent off cupons at Harbor frieght to buy a compressor that I use to fill a five gallon air tank, which I carry around the ranch to fill up my four cars, two bikes,
one lawn tractor, and snow blower, not to mention putting on an air nozzel to blast air at things. Why, you can dust a whole house with that tank!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
For bikes the 5gal is plenty. It isn't near enough when I need to top off the trailer or truck tires. They take 60psi and 80 psi respectively. The 5gal is used up on one truck tire.

I do use the 5gal tank when using my airbrush. It lasts for quite a while when regulated down to 20psi for painting. And is a lot quieter than having a compressor blaring.

Top Bottom