Honda Top Case - Worth the money?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hi everyone,
I am thinking about installing a top case on my bike. The Honda model looks good, but it is quite more expensive than any Givi model. For those of you who have it, is it worth the money? Is there a real difference in quality?
Thanks a lot.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Anything is worth what someone will pay for it. How much do you value original equipment over an aftermarket accessory? There is no right answer for all just what the person writing the check thinks.

oldyaler

Hi everyone,
I am thinking about installing a top case on my bike. The Honda model looks good, but it is quite more expensive than any Givi model. For those of you who have it, is it worth the money? Is there a real difference in quality?
Thanks a lot.
I think the Honda case is made for Honda by Givi and if so quality is probably the same. IMHO I think the Honda case looks better.

OP
OP
Motero
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thank you for the comments. I agree that the looks of the Honda case complement the bike very nicely. As for capacity, does it hold two full-face helmets with ease?

bish79

Thank you for the comments. I agree that the looks of the Honda case complement the bike very nicely. As for capacity, does it hold two full-face helmets with ease?
What do you mean "with ease?" It will hold mine and my fiancee's, but it is a tight fit and you have to arrange them just right.

OP
OP
Motero
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Well, that is what I meant by "with ease." I used to have a GIVI 45 and it couldn't fit just any kind of helmet. I am just trying to decide whether I can use the little extra space of a GIVI 52. Thanks.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got the CooCase 46 liter case and am very happy with it. It may not have ended up any cheaper than the Honda or a Givi, because I had to buy an Adv-Moto rack and an adaptor plate.

lcseds

With some discounts available around the web, the Honda box is not as expensive as you may think compared to Givi. With the Givi, you have to pay a good sum for a painted top (which would be more apples to apples with the Honda. All a matter of what kind of deal you strike on the Honda box. I have the Honda box. My wife liked it the best and it does match the bike very well. That being said, I don't care for the latch mechanism. The E52 on my wife's Silverwing is much easier to latch and lock. I suppose over time the Honda will be less of a hassle as I adjust to it's operation. To do it again, I would still do the Honda box.

1TRAK

Anything is worth what someone will pay for it. How much do you value original equipment over an aftermarket accessory? There is no right answer for all just what the person writing the check thinks.
Ditto Karl. Does one need factory accesories or does one want to save money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
factory box looks great with the bike and my wife likes it. two thumbs up. If I have a complaint, it's that it doesn't have brake lights or turn signals.

Bike
Silver NT700V
In my shopping I found I could put together a lighted factory box and a lighted GIVI V-46 box and the difference in price is $60. I will go with the GIVI because I like the looks and it sits about an inch lower on the bike. For the price difference, the choice is is which you like better.

Keep the shiny side up.

Chuck

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
I bought the trunk and had the dealer install the back pad with it. It looks good and I am getting accustomed to the lock. If there is a problem I can go back to Honda with it. Works for me.

OP
OP
Motero
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thank you for all the comments. I also read somewhere that the Honda base plate is designed so as to allow lateral movement of the trunk. To me this sounds a little strange (I do not want things moving on my back as I am leaning). Does anybody know any more details about or has any experience with this feature?

bicyclist

There are tubular spacers that the four mounting screws pass through. They prevent the nuts from clamping down on the mounting plate. Oblong holes allow the box to slide sideways slightly. What I find really annoying is that it also rattles. I added an extra washer to each screw, which defeats the spacers and allows the nuts to clamp down tightly enough to prevent movement.

Take that, Honda!

lcseds

Thank you for all the comments. I also read somewhere that the Honda base plate is designed so as to allow lateral movement of the trunk. To me this sounds a little strange (I do not want things moving on my back as I am leaning). Does anybody know any more details about or has any experience with this feature?
I tightened everything to the point of no movement. Very solid.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I use it as designed with no problems. What ever movement it makes is not noticeable to me.

OP
OP
Motero
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
BTW, the Honda box comes with the back rest standard, right? I have seen a lower back rest as an accessory (just a rubber strip), but every picture I see of the trunk has the large rest.

Silver Ranger

I just finished installing my OEM box and like the looks and color match to the NT. The install was very simple and did not take much time to install. Because the weather has turned cold and wet I have not had it out for a test ride yet.

Accessories4bikes.com has good pricing however you need to understand the terms of the purchase.

The thing I like the most is the Admore LED kit I installed in the box. Definitely worth the money.

I have not ordered from them, but you might want to check out the pricing at powersedge.com. Pricing is better than accessories4bikes.com and they have a real street address and phone number for contact.
For instance, top case is 298.64 vs. 302.57

I bought the top tank at the time I bought the bike and the dealer installed it. It looks great to me. It took me a little while to get used to using the latches, but now after a few months, it's not an issue. I went shopping at Costco today and had about half a cart of stuff that all fit in the top tank and the two panniers. I was pretty happy with that.

Terry

Top Bottom