Hondaline Heated Grips

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Rick,

It was part of the heated grips install. I don't know if the cigarette lighter is part of the harness or what. I didn't know I was getting it. In fact, I didn't know I had gotten it until a couple of weeks after the heated grips were installed. It is installed on the inside front of the left fairing pocket. I've got other things that I want locked up stored there (spare glasses, registration, insurance info, the owners manual) and if I needed to use the lighter for anything, I'd have to relocate some of those things. Plus, a cigarette lighter plug is fairly bulky. If I need to install anything else, I'll just wire up the powerlet outlet on MC Larry's bar clamp. It's sitting empty now, because I decided to hardwire my GPS through the Fuzeblock.
Phil
My dealer installed my Honda heated grips. They did not install the cigarette plug. I think you got that thrown in by accident because it has nothing to do with the heated grips.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Just to clarify if you use the OEM wiring you can have the heated grips, or the "lighter", not both wired using the harness. The Accessory Wire Harness used to connect to the main wiring harness is the same for either accessory...

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Just to clarify if you use the OEM wiring you can have the heated grips, or the "lighter", not both wired using the harness. The Accessory Wire Harness used to connect to the main wiring harness is the same for either accessory...
Yes it is for one or the other not both, The dealer installed both for me at the first service and the "power point" got hooked right to the battery.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hmm...well, I guess I sorta' lucked out by getting both; even if I never use the lighter.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Hmm...well, I guess I sorta' lucked out by getting both; even if I never use the lighter.
Phil,

Are they both on the same circuit? Or did they wire one separately? The Accessory fuse is only a 10Amp so if you have your grips on high and plug in a vest you stand a good chance of blowing a fuse...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Wayne,

I don't know if they're on the same circuit or not. But I plug my heated jacket liner into a Heatroller that I've got wired directly to the battery. The Warm & Safe jacket is 95W and I decided I didn't want to take up that much of the Fuzeblock's capacity with the jacket. The Heatroller is fused, so I'm not worried about a problem there. My GPS is hard-wired and it goes through an always-on circuit off the Fuzeblock.

Igo

I know this is an old thread but where is the best deal for the Honda heated grips and how much are they? I see a trip up the west coast highway in the near future.

Igo

Thank you sir. CoolNT just gave me the link but it's more money than I want to spend right now.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
My Hondaline heated grips should be delivered tomorrow. I only ordered the grips thinking I would wire it into either:
1: the Option Plug wiring that Honda dealer would attach it to with the attachment kit (didn't order the attachment kit based on comment earlier in thread)
2: recently installed 10 amp switched power cable from Fuzeblock under the seat to MCL riser powerlet (the cable is tie-wrapped to the main harness) I don't use the powerlet, but it came with the riser so I connected it for later use.
3: run independent line back to available Fuzeblock circuit under the seat.

I'm down to 21 days before a big trip that I really would like to have heated grip working. So I'm wondering what else I may need to order/buy to install the heated grips using any of the 3 above methods. Wire & heat shrink/protective covers won't be the limiting item, I have lots. I plan to use posi-taps & if I need to order more, need to order soon.

Any suggestions on the number of posi-taps would be needed to slice into using posi-taps, and the color/size posi-taps would be helpful.
How many wires are in the Hondaline heated grips? I'm guessing there are 3, -Power, ground, control. Am I missing something?

Hope the grips come with simple schematic or wiring diagram, I'm sure I can figure it out if it does. I'm concerned about having the material I need to finish this so I don't freeze my hands off in September Sunrise rides in Wyoming.

Thanks,
Dan

elizilla

Dan, the Hondaline heated grips (and their attachment kit) are plug and play. No posi-taps needed. But if you didn't order the attachment kit you'll need to roll your own. If you have a Fuzeblock, it would be easy and effective to just cut off the Honda plug on the grips, and splice on some longer wires, to get back to a circuit at the Fuzeblock - still no posi-taps needed. Do you have a preferred splicing method already, such as crimp and/or solder? Or would you like some posi-lock or posi-twist wire splicing connectors? If so send me a PM - I just got a big box off eBay with more than I'll ever need of these things, since I rarely use them. I can send you some.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Grips are installed. All I ordered was a once opened grips, no attachment kit, or accessory harness. Replaced the bullet connectors with weatherproof blade connectors at the + and - leads, made up 18ga wire back to fuzeblock with a 5 amp switched power. Removed the wire harness fuse, its redundant with the fuzeblock, and would be difficult to replace. Heatshink'ed all exposed connectores and the wire run to fuzeblock.

Surprised that the grip kit doesn't come with bracket for the controller, it must come with the $80 "attachment kit". That seems a little cheap to give everything needed in one kit except one piece. I made a mount out of plastic and installed at the right handlebar mount. There were no real instruction with the grips, it must be with unneeded "attachment kit".

Anyway, thanks for all the past info on these and the video on utube. I like the bigger diameter grips and they do put out heat fast.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The bracket that came with mine is "shock-mounted" to the brake clamp. The shock-mount is simple, consisting of a soft-rubber washer/donut on each side of the bracket. I'm going to take it off and see if I bend the bracket back a bit. With my Bags Connection DayPack, a semi-rigid tank bag, everytime I get to full lock while turning right, I turn the handgrips on. They heat up quickly enough (especially when the ambient air temperature is 100F!) that I don't get to the end of my block before my hands are hot through my gloves.

I agree with you; it seems cheap.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I made the controller mount out of a flat piece or black ABS (i think that is the type) plastic. Its mounted through the top bolt on the front brake clamp. Looks Good, location is not interfering with anything & is easy to operate, but it is more flimsy than I'd like. I'll keep looking for a more solid mount, but this should easily get me through the winter.

Any good pics out there of the stock Honda mount out there?

The six parts in the grips kit had individual part numbers listed. If someone has the package for the grips "attachment kit" it may list the part number for the mount bracket. That might help me out. I may be able to buy it without buying the entire unneeded harness for $80 to $108 (depending on where I shop!). Geez, it's tough being frugal.

Took it out for a ride last night when it was <60F. I actually high-fived myself with 2 warm hands. They do heat up quick and hot...Nice!

elizilla

I have my grip controller (not the Honda grips) mounted on a little perch I made out of metal. I went to Lowes and bought a strip of aluminum stock, it was 1/16" thick, 1" wide, and 36" long. Set it on a scrap of 2x4 and put my foot on it to hold it, drilled a hole a half inch from the end, of appropriate size for the mirror bolt. Used my little bench grinder to round the corners around that hole, and make it all neat. Then used my dremel to cut it off, so all that was left was a 3" piece shaped kinda like a dog tag. (Drill the hole and shape the end before you cut it off, it gives you more room to hold onto it. :) ) Painted it flat black using one of those touch-up paint things from the auto parts store, the ones with a brush like nail polish. It holds the grip controller perfectly elegantly there.

I had most of the stock left, so last weekend I made one just like it for the new bike.

Top Bottom