Hondaline topbox vs Givi, et al

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Whats everyone's take on honda vs all others? The Honda seems like a lot of money. Am I right that you're out about $500 before its even installed?
Also does anyone have a Givi on a red NT? I'm wondering how it looks on the red bike
I want a topbox for the obvious reasons, but mostly to make my wife comfortable by being able to lean back and feel safe. She's never liked bikes but is willing to give the NT a try and I want her to feel good on the bike.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think the Hondaline's too expensive. I've got a CooCase from Twisted Throttle, but like the way Givis look. I've had a Givi on my two old Concours and it lasted forever.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have the Honda top box and it works just fine but I agree with Phil that you can get one of equal quality and function in another brand for much less.

tawilke46

BTW, if I remember correctly, the Honda topcase is made in Italy and is made by Givi.
Granted, it is expensive but is of good quality and functions well with the bike. Also provides a good backrest for a pillion.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The Honda box is made by Givi but I believe it is to Honda's specifications and not exactly like a standard Givi box. the Honda box also has the unique sliding arrangement that seems to be somewhat controversial.

Bike
2010 Honda NT700VA
There is the mounting platform that makes the box easily removable and it snaps back into place firmly and easily. I also highly recommend the lower backpad option. The top pad is built into the box. But the lower pad will rest low on your passenger's spine. Yes, I paid more for the Honda one but got it cause it was easy to make the whole package when I got my bike and because I ordered all the factory options, the dealer threw in the install for free.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
what do I have to buy besides the box if I get the Honda box?
Need the Honda rear carrier and the rear bracket
CARRIER, RR. (08L42-EWL-800 ) $134.19
BRACKET, RR. (08Z51-MEW-100 ) $35.91

My NT came with the Honda top box, but was missing the bracket and carrier from the previous owner. So I had to buy the bracket and carrier seperately. If the top box would not have come with the NT I would have looked into a back Givi box because it looks as good as the Honda and cost less. Also black could be used on any future motorcycle, where my current red box would most likely only look good on a red motorcycle.

Silver Ranger

I purchased my Honda box from Accessories4bikes.com. They are the cheapest I think you will find. However read the terms and conditions before you order. You need to purchase the trunk $302.57, base $125.47, bracket $33.84 and trunk pad $34.61 for a grand total of $496.49.

I would also recommend that you install the Admore Lighting kit at the same time. It is very simple to add when you install the trunk. It is multi-function with running lights, brake lights and turn signals. Defiantly makes you more visible.

This is the only box/trunk I have ever owned so I cannot compare it other brands. The quality is very good and the color match is outstanding. I purchased my NT because I like the sport touring ride and comfort along with the styling. I wanted to maintain the look, that?s why I went with the Honda box.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is a picture of my E-460 Givi Box, in The fast color Silver. Also pictures of my matt black E-360 Givi Box. If you go the Givi route you will need to by the Givi Mono Key carrier E221.

about 110 bucks.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
And I am one of the cheap ones who got the JC Whitney version. All flat black instead of shiny stuff. Latch is the only less than great part, but, it hasn't let me down yet.

For $80 I figure it only has to last two or three years.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Here is a picture of my E-460 Givi Box, in The fast color Silver. Also pictures of my matt black E-360 Givi Box. If you go the Givi route you will need to by the Givi Mono Key carrier E221.

about 110 bucks.
And the backrest pad.

One thing handy about getting Givi/monokey is you can swap smaller/larger boxes on and off and different bikes.

Nicole

If you look thru my profile's pics you can see what the Givi E55 looks like on a red NT

Bike
2010 NT700V
And I am one of the cheap ones who got the JC Whitney version. All flat black instead of shiny stuff. Latch is the only less than great part, but, it hasn't let me down yet.

For $80 I figure it only has to last two or three years.
I had my JCW on a Kaw 500 for 6 years, and now on the NT for 1 year. For less than $100 and a handfull of spacers and bolts from the local hardware store, it can't be beat for price vs utility. Plus, it doesn't sit a foot above the bike like the gold plated Italian.

stupidmonkey

Bought a Bestem and it came with a cheap bracket. Had to rig it a little but it's been working great so far. The latch is a little cumbersome but stays closed. Came with lights as well. Will hook them up after I do the powerlet and fuseblock finish.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Some folks wear Levis, some wear plain-pocket jeans from Wal-Mart. Both cover your fannies and look similar, probably last about as long too. It's a cruel world out there....

LL75 :rofl1:

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Silver Ranger / Joe,

(Quick side topic to your post above, and don't mean to distract from the main thread.)

Thanks for the link to the AdMore lighting kit! I've been looking for something like this since I got my 2011 NT (just ordered the trunk and kits). I was trying to find something that would make me more noticeable, especially at dusk or at night since I have a Black bike and live in a high-traffic area (Washington DC Metro area). The black bike looks cool as hell and I don't want to paint/color it up, but it is least noticeable among the colors. Any tips for install or problems encountered with the AdMore light kit?

On a side note, also considering colored LED lights along the faring / sides and underneath the saddlebag/panniers for additional visibility... and the bling factor never hurts a little at night either. ;-)

Thanks,

- Gabe

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Gabe, Type in Admore in the search field and you will find installation information for the Admore lights.

Silver Ranger

The kit is very simple to install. Some things that I did were carve out a slot in the bottom of the foam pad for the top box so I could route the cables under it. I also used a black tape to cover/protect the wires after them exit from under the pad until they enter the light mounting area. Be careful when you remove the screws from the top case so you can get the lenses out for installing the kit. The plastic is very soft in my opinion.

If you want to add even more lights look at the mini light bar kit they sell. It mounts under the box. Amorly installed one and it looks good. It also stays on the NT when you remove the top box.

Top Bottom