I bit the bullet

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Today I signed papers on a Tiger Explorer, should have it next week - Tuesday if all goes as planned.

So now it's time to "un" farkle the NT of the pieces that won't be traded in (electrical stuff mostly). May have some bits leftover specific to the NT that I'll put up for sale later.

I got a wonderful deal on a launch model Explorer (in graphite, my second color choice - but they only had one blue launch model and it was already sold). The launch model is an accessory kit that adds $1k to msrp, and is $1.5k or so in kit: sump guard, engine guard, tire pressure monitor, fog lights, hand guards, touring screen (taller than standard one), tank pad...i think that's all of it. And I will get the Tiger Explorer-specific tank bag (which is huge, we'll see how that works out) and the oem panniers. I've ordered the SW-Motech steel toprack and givi adapter to move my E55 maxia over.

At any rate, I too, would like to still participate in these forums as I very much appreciate the opinions and wisdom shared here, as well as the friendly atmosphere. I just won't get as many farkling ideas for my bike from here anymore :D This might be a good thing lol!

I do love my NT and wish I could afford to keep both, but that is beyond what I am willing to spend at this point. The Tiger Explorer immediately grabbed ahold of me the moment it came out and I have not been able to wane my interest. I know adventure bikes aren't for everyone, but I love their styling. And of the big ones out there right now (bmw 1200gs, yamaha super tenere, moto guzzi stelvio, ducati multistrada, etc) the Explorer is perhaps the least off-road worthy from everything I have read (super tenere being the best for that of these big bikes), but it pretty much trails only the Ducati in on-road performance. I have no off-aspirations, pretty much on-road touring and leisurely rolls through the backcountry hills - as I have done with my NT. Occasional dirt road here or there. Much like how I've owned suv's for years but never went off-roading (other than once, on a course sponsored by the dealership) I buy them for their utility and styling. I think this newer generation of adventure bikes are taking a similar marketing approach. Wonder if BMW has radical changes in the pipeline for the GS.

I did take the Explorer for a test ride and fell in love with the sound of the triple and the remarkable smoothness of the gear box. While it weighs the same as the NT, it is a very big bike. It stands very tall and simply looks like "a lot of bike." This obviously is a turn off for many, but it suits me just fine at 6'2", 260lbs. I rode with the seat in the highest position and it seemed just right. Gives a very commanding view of the road. I'm eager to have the ABS, traction control, tire pressure monitoring, and cruise control. I'm hoping I will enjoy riding even more with all of these things :) Hopefully buying a new bike the first year it is introduced won't curse me with too many issues. And if there are some, they better be in the warranty period! Maybe I'll tire of adventure bikes and come back around to sport tourers in the future, who knows.

Sorry this got way too long, but I do want to thank everyone on this forum in the year I've been here for their advice, encouragement, opinions, and sharing of ideas. I'm quite happy my first bike had this community for me to stumble upon. I look forward to continue reading here and join in on future meet-ups! Cheers!

:Silver2:

(pics or it didn't happen, i know. i will share when I have the bike and hopefully won't take as long as Sam to show off his sweet new Wing!)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
From the road tests I have read its a great bike. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Congratulations, Rob. Now two of the" Wild Hondas" own Triumphs---you and Dan. Dan still has his NT and plans to keep it. You are certainly always welcome at our "Events"--though they are few and far between.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Nice, can't wait to hear more about it when you get some miles on it, very cool bike.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sorry this got way too long,
No way, Rob! Anybody can write as much as they want about motorcycles, especially really interesting ones like your new Triumph! Thanks for sharing and keep it up.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I look forward to hearing how you like your new bike.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I look forward to seeing what farkles you are selling from your NT! :smile: Enjoy the new bike!

Bike
Bonneville T120
Rob,

Welcome to the Triumph fold. Interesting you mention the smoothness of the gearbox. That's one of the things I like most about my Bonnie, buttery smooth transmission. The power of my parallel twin is impressive, the 1215 cc triple with the overall weight of an NT must be impressive. Be careful out there. I look forward to the next New England NT meet up so I can get a close look and hear more about your experience.

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
You were too young to own an NT. You'll be looking for an NT in twenty years or so, according to demographics.
ok i had a good laugh at this. maybe you're right! haha

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

stupidmonkey

Congrats on the purchase. I was at the Triumph dealer we have here and sat on a few. Very nice bike.

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I got the bike today. Started spending some time putting a few farkles on. While messing with some highway pegs they started giving me a hard time (might be wrong size bracket for engine guard). And I realized I was wasting riding time so I put it all down to put some miles on it. Hoping I can put lots and lots on this weekend! Breaking in a new engine kinda stinks. I'm keeping it at 3k rpm max for the first couple hundred miles, then will bump that to 4k until I hit 500 or so to finally open it up. Although I'll probably rarely have this thing over 5.5k. No idea what it'll be at at 75mph in 6th on the highway. We'll know soon enough.

This is the launch kit and added are the oem panniers (removable) and oem tank bag...which is comically huge. I might see about returning that. Put a SW-Motech steel toprack on it with givi mounts to make a new home for my E55 Maxia. Grip puppies, and a ram ball on the inside of the windshield for the gps. What is a bike without farkling?!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Labor Day weekend. I know I will be smiling for a great deal of it!!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Looking Good! I like that big tank bag, it should have plenty of room for on the road "stuff" without messing with the hard luggage...

Top Bottom