I didn't do it....would you???

Bike
bike#61=2010NT700,silver
Had a great offer on a 2007 ST1300 w/20k.....unfortunately, my monetarial position does not allow me to own two bikes so I would have had to trade in my 2010 NT in order to finalize the deal.....I've had ST's before and like them a lot..only things I dislike are the weight and the heat. I love my NT and the only thing I dislike about it is the engine noise.....So in the end, I did not do the deal.....Wondering how many of you would have traded bikes with the same parameters....thanks, lsd:confused:

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Nope. Already made the choice to go the other way. And I never did understand the heat complaints about either bike. After 2003 sometime, Honda did add additional heat shielding to the NT, so there can be differences between model years.

bicyclist

Nope. The NT is already heavier than I want, but it has other charms. A set of earplugs solves the engine noise problem and has long term hearing benefits.

Nicole

I'd kept the NT as you did. I have to pay off the NT and then I will be looking at either a big touring bike or a dual sport/ adventure bike.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The only things I don't like about the ST1300 is the heat and weight... the Tenere is about 150lbs lighter and 20 degrees cooler from the rider's perspective so the ST1300 never really bothered me much until I got the Yamaha... now, the yamaha vibrates and is not as smooth as the v4 of the ST and not as quiet both from the engine and air-noise perspective.

I'm really torn because when I get on the ST1300 I feel like I should sell the Tenere and when I get on the Tenere I feel I should sell the ST1300.. LOL..

Sorry I don't have any NT-specific comments or point of view.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I wouldn't trade it on an ST-1300 but there are bikes that could tempt me.

I agree with the poet, the engine noise really annoys me, especially around town. When I set out on a ride I really get burned at the noisy engine, then I get up to 60 on the open road, a twisty one, and I'm really happy. The NT shines on two lane highways at 60 mph. I don't find the the NT vibrates too much, and I think the engine power is plenty sufficient. But if I do part with my NT, it will be over the engine noise.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I learnt about 30 years ago, when I was about 20 years old, that the bike that suited me best was 750cc or smaller.

I did lust after bigger bikes but I have never owned or ridden one and I have absolutely no regrets and interestingly I have never owned a bike that did not do what I needed it to :)

Because of this I would not have made the deal.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I agree with those above. I wouldn't trade to get all that weight and power. I moved down from a Concours 10 to lose weight. I had a Versys that was much lighter and quicker (more fun). But I settled on the NT for the comfort.

androu

There's a nearby dealer that is really tempting me to trade my NT in on a new Super Tenere. I love the NT but have been longing for some off-road, or at least dirt road capability. There are a lot of cool dirt tracks to explore where I live and the Tenere seems capable of that AND long distance touring on the pavement. I'm really thinking about it.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
tough call because the ST's engine is an engineering marvel. but you've had them before so you know. i think keeping the NT was a good decision. it's an excellent bike out of the crate and so much lighter!

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
Can someone explain the issue people have with the engine noise on the NT? Is it the loudness (as in decibels), or the actual sound it makes? The NT is literally e quietest bike I've ever owned so maybe that's throwing me, I also ride with earplugs that remove up to 32db...

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
it's loud when you compare it to a quieter bike, and quiet when you compare it to a louder bike.

that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it.

skiper

it's loud when you compare it to a quieter bike, and quiet when you compare it to a louder bike.

that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it.
HERE HEAR .. I think all you guys need some Acupuncture... If you come to me on a HONDA NTv you'll get a free treatment

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The only time the sound has really bothered me was when friend Mike was installing the Rostra cruise control. We had the bike on the centerstand and had it running in gear so he could measure something or other. It sounded like a bucket of rocks being shaken hard. 'Twas awful. Never sounds that bad when it's running.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Agreed. It's not the loudness, it's the sort of sound it makes. It winds and grinds and moans and groans. It's not the noise coming from the muffler, but the awful groaning noise, particularly with low gears at low speed.

It didn't bother me much for almost two years. Now I find it really annoying.

Funny that this should come up as my wife was riding pillion with me today and commented on how quiet the bike is.

Would you consider a 100 pound ligher bike, with 50% more horsepower, very similar seat height, but chain driven and less wind protection? That's what is making me look around.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I like the NT. It does everything that Honda says it will do. It is a comfortable and reliable bike. I agree with Seagrass that one really does not need anything above 750cc displacement. Were I ever to trade in the NT, it would be for a Guzzi Norge--which is considerably over 750cc. It is also quite pricey. I am really happy with what I have. I put a lot of time in researching the NT and it paid off. I have no regrets.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Would you consider a 100 pound ligher bike, with 50% more horsepower, very similar seat height, but chain driven and less wind protection? That's what is making me look around.
I wouldn't. But that's what makes the world go 'round.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I would at this point. I have the Guzzi for around town stuff and would keep the ST for long tours. If only one bike then the NT would stay. It is about the perfect combination of weight, power and wind protection AND it has the MANDATORY shaft drive :)

Yes, it still needs more power and 6 gears to make it perfect, but, i'll keep it the way it is.

I like the NT. It does everything that Honda says it will do. It is a comfortable and reliable bike. I agree with Seagrass that one really does not need anything above 750cc displacement. Were I ever to trade in the NT, it would be for a Guzzi Norge--which is considerably over 750cc. It is also quite pricey. I am really happy with what I have. I put a lot of time in researching the NT and it paid off. I have no regrets.
Check out the various Guzzi dealers. There may still be some NOS Norge's around. I think Moto International still had an old one. If I had the money I'd hold out for the new model, but, the older ones can be had for a lot less. Have the dealer fix all the bugs in it and then ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom