I hate parking lots

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I got out of work and found my bike lying on the right side with the right mirror broken off and some serious cracks in the right mid fairing. There was just a slight scuff on the right pannier because that was in the mud. It took three of us to get the bike out of the ditch and back on the pavement.

Seems like someone backed their car into my front wheel and pushed the bike halfway over a grass embankment, Half of the bike was on the pavement and half was in the mud. The only damage is the right fairing, right engine guard cover, and mirror.

I'll check with Honda on the price of the fairing and check with the insurance company. If the price is out of this world, I'll glue it together and then lay some fiberglass resin and roving on the inside--wet sand the outside and fill in any irregularities. Then it will go to my friend's body shop for a spray job. All that I need to do then is to get a new Honda Decal, engine guard, and mirror.

Last edited:

bonifier

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Maybe you should see if they have cameras in the parking lot and see if they can see what car backed into your bike. Make your life alot easier.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Already checked--no cameras. Apparently no one saw it happen. Almost everybody in the building knows me. It could also have been a person being spiteful. I'll call Honda tomorrow and get some prices, then my insurance company if it is very high---well over $500. I know that i can do the bodywork. I leave the painting to the pros.

maxweljames

Dude, that totally sucks. Most businesses don't have the luxury of parking lot cameras. I'm fortunate, working for a DOD contractor, lots of surveillance, camera and actual guards.

bonifier

The company I work for also uses cameras. The only problem a friend of my incountered was he had to get a court order to get a copy of the tape when his car was broken into and they stole two chain saws.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
It's terrible that no one claimed responsibility (although not unexpected). I have noticed many of the body parts are available used on ebay from time to time--maybe an option after the insurance company settles up.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have a $500 deductible on my insurance. I can have the Honda dealer order the parts for me and I send the receipts to the insurance company or I can order the parts from an internet source like Bandit Bob, have the whole mess cost me about $600 give or take a little, and I put it back together. I will probably go with OEM Parts and the bike will be like new again. This winter I will fix the broken fairing and keep it around as a spare. Am not sure if reporting $200 damage above the $500 deductible is worth it, since they will raise my rates.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
That stinks. A door opening into a vehicle is one thing but shoving a bike around with a car is another.
Sorry about the incident. Maybe the other party will come forward or the truth will slip out. Maybe not likely but keep hope.

Brad

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
oh how unfortunate! really sorry to hear about that. :( what a hassle.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I'll second Chucks recommendation of Honda Direct Line. I've bought OEM parts from them in the past. Good prices and good service. As far as the car driver goes, I'd better not type what I think of him/her.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
That does suck, that happened to my 2003 ST1300 a few years ago and I even had it parked 'away' from everyone else so it was more visible. I was lucky as it didn't land against the nearby curb but unlucky as it was out of the view of the camera in that area and the front forks were bent. Insurance covered it all but it was still MY insurance that covered it.

Hope you get it fixed and it works out.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Actually, I found there isn't one online source for OEM products that's the cheapest, you have to go to all of them as I've seen differences from $10-50 so HDL is okay but also look at bike bandit, ron ayres, service honda, cheap cycle parts, etc.. One will be the cheapest for a different part, a diff one may be the cheapest.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
yes, true you have to get to the final cost. HDL will have holiday sales as well which are advantageous.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thank you everybody for the kind words and good thoughts---A MIRACLE HAPPENED !

When I bought Merlot last November, I got a letter from Honda checking my availability for an interview. They select new buyers randomly. I agreed, and we met in one of the restaurants here in town.

The gist of the interview was that they were interested what I thought of the H-D, Honda, Kawasaki, Can-Am dealership.

I told them that it is probably the most professionally run dealerships that I had ever been to-- citing the friendly and helpful staff. You walk in and you are immediately greeted by one of the staff and offered a cup of coffee. Then you are invited to look around and feel free to ask questions. These folks are helpful and don't hover. They are all, with no exception, very well informed. If they are unclear about something, they call the Service Manager or another staff person who knows the answer.

The place is "Operating Room" spotless. All the bikes are tastefully arranged with displays of helmets and clothing for the appropriate brand. The Honda section features Honda clothing. The bikes are dusted daily. No fingerprints on the chrome.

You get introduced to the Service Manager, and he explains Warranties, Service Plans, etc.

After I bought the bike, I got a card from the salesperson stating that he hoped I am enjoying the bike. I got invited to their Customer Appreciation Day. I got a Birthday Card. These people are on the ball. I stop in on the way home from my medical appointments just to have a cup of coffee and to see what is new. In fact, as I was typing this, the dealer called and said that the fairing will be in a few days from now, and that the mirror was back ordered till the 29th. All of the staff make it a point to know your name. It's always, "Hi, Alex, How is Merlot running?"

This, in my view, is how a business should be run--also, before I bought Merlot, I was thoroughly briefed on the machine, and was encouraged to ride it---which I did. How could I not buy a bike from them?

Everything comes around.

The manager probably got a copy of the interview. In fact I am pretty sure that the reason I only have to pay $360 + Tax for the whole thing is because of that interview. They gave me the tupperware at cost.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Great news. Glad you have such a personable dealer close by. I try to show my apperaction for my local dealer "Aurora Honda" by taking them a Black Forrest cake a couple times a year. Family owned business and very helpful when needed.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Chuck, I am indeed fortunate. The dealer is 47 miles away on scenic US 3. A couple times a year a case of Heineken finds its way there. I just feel so "UP" today. There are sure more beautiful people in this world than not. The people who hit bikes and run are people I feel sorry for because some day someone will trash their car or house and run. It happens.

The Military was good for me. I learned a lot. Tolerance, forgiveness, and understanding. There is nothing that can stress me today that is any worse than what I have experienced. Having been near death and having battled cancer, gives a person a whole different outlook. In a sense you become a child. You notice things others don't. You enjoy pictures people post---like you do, and then vicariously enjoy the tour with them. You see yourself as part of a large worldwide community in which you share experiences, expertiese, and, yes, emotions. Everybody felt the impact of Rob's recent crash----people were concerned about Motorcycle Larry's crash on a bicycle, and I can go on. What is developing is a very large NT Family--a rather interesting sociological phenomenon. I look forward to the daily networking.

Last edited:

elizilla

Glad to hear they did such a great job.

What is the name of this dealership? I am curious because when I was in Maine at my friend's house party, one of the guys there showed up with a tire problem. Our host was able to call someone from a local Honda dealer, on Sunday of a holiday weekend, and get him to bring a tire out to the house. I wonder if it's the same dealer?

Top Bottom