I thought I'd just Sip the EV Kool-Aid.

Is it perfect? I think we will have gas cars for some time yet.

No, it isn't perfect. The truth becomes readily apparent after driving an EV for just a couple weeks. Unless there is a quantum leap in battery technology, as well as charging methods and availability, I suspect most folks are going to avoid EVs. And not just for so called range anxiety. There is a significant level of hassle factor charging, especially if you don't have a "home" charger. I cannot visualize living in an apartment and having to chase public chargers as my only source of charging. I believe one of the Motor Trend writers is doing a year long test to see how well that scenario works out in LA.

That being said an EV will work for us, as our second vehicle, since it is only a metro area vehicle. And I can Level II charge at home and not need to be concerned about where my next charge is coming from. :)

Regarding Kona specific range here is something I discovered this morning. When we left for church it was only 40℉. My wife turned on the Heat and the estimated range instantly dropped by 30 miles. :rolleyes: Turning the Heat off regained those 30 miles. The Kona EV uses a 6,000 Watt electric heater, not a heat pump or other source. The software is smart enough that when you turn on the heat it adjusts the estimated range accordingly. That is a nice feature. Running that built in toaster oven is a real power pig.🐷

I found a neat window sticker. My wife has threatened severe retribution if I put one on "her" Kona. :rolleyes:

I Pass Gas sticker.jpg

Last edited:
My electric has the range I need for 99% of what I do. I charge at home 99% of the time. In about 3k miles now I have used a level 3 charger twice, more to see how it worked than real need. It works for me.

In about 3k miles now I have used a level 3 charger twice, more to see how it worked than real need.

Interestingly enough my Owners Manual warns against using Level III / DC Chargers if possible.

"Note that prolonged and continuous use of DC fast charging may reduce the long term life of the EV battery. Usage of a DC fast charger should be minimized when possible in order to help prolong the life of the EV battery."

So much for the getting a fast DC charge on the way home from work plan. :rolleyes:

Based on my research I've also set my Kona's software to only allow a 90% maximum charge, AC or DC charger, as that supposedly also helps with the EV battery life.

We are enjoying the Kona but there is a EV learning curve. Even after having driven hybrids for the last several years.

I don’t see an electric vehicle in my future. Both of my cars and my motorcycle are fairly new and low mileage. I suspect they will last until my kids take my keys away ☹️

Ask yourselves why the EVs don't have AM radios and what this does to you.

Actually our Kona does have an AM radio. And FM and SiriusXM. Same with the Ioniq5 and Ford Mach-E we test drove.

As far as the Eurocar EVs not having AM that is more about economics and AM falling out of favor in Europe. It isn't about not being able to use AM due to technical interference issues or health issues. If it was technical no EV would have AM. If it was health there would be no EV's or hybrids. It is humorous that a entry level priced EV like a Kona can support AM but the high end Eurocrap won't.

"We contacted all three of Detroit's giants for why they continue to include AM radios when some European makes have phased them out, but the answer establishes itself across those very same lines. AM radio has fallen out of favor in Europe, with Radio Info reporting in 2015 that stations were shutting down en masse from France to the Netherlands and Russia. The frequency has largely been superseded by the DAB format, which is a more advanced form of radio broadcasting with better audio quality and choice of stations. AM radio stations and their listeners are all but gone in Europe, so European carmakers may not need to include technology that many of its customers can't use."

Read the entire article in The Drive Here.

I don’t see an electric vehicle in my future. Both of my cars and my motorcycle are fairly new and low mileage. I suspect they will last until my kids take my keys away ☹
Yeah, I am high milage and my bikes and cars will outlast me.....

Actually our Kona does have an AM radio. And FM and SiriusXM. Same with the Ioniq5 and Ford Mach-E we test drove.

As far as the Eurocar EVs not having AM that is more about economics and AM falling out of favor in Europe. It isn't about not being able to use AM due to technical interference issues or health issues. If it was technical no EV would have AM. If it was health there would be no EV's or hybrids. It is humorous that a entry level priced EV like a Kona can support AM but the high end Eurocrap won't.

"We contacted all three of Detroit's giants for why they continue to include AM radios when some European makes have phased them out, but the answer establishes itself across those very same lines. AM radio has fallen out of favor in Europe, with Radio Info reporting in 2015 that stations were shutting down en masse from France to the Netherlands and Russia. The frequency has largely been superseded by the DAB format, which is a more advanced form of radio broadcasting with better audio quality and choice of stations. AM radio stations and their listeners are all but gone in Europe, so European carmakers may not need to include technology that many of its customers can't use."

Read the entire article in The Drive Here.
Actually, I wish aircraft comm radios would dump AM. The tower sounds like a manure salesman with a mouth full of samples.

Interestingly enough my Owners Manual warns against using Level III / DC Chargers if possible.

"Note that prolonged and continuous use of DC fast charging may reduce the long term life of the EV battery. Usage of a DC fast charger should be minimized when possible in order to help prolong the life of the EV battery."

So much for the getting a fast DC charge on the way home from work plan. :rolleyes:

Based on my research I've also set my Kona's software to only allow a 90% maximum charge, AC or DC charger, as that supposedly also helps with the EV battery life.

We are enjoying the Kona but there is a EV learning curve. Even after having driven hybrids for the last several years.
Thanks for the interesting data point. Is there a defrost position also? How much does the air conditioner drop the miles?
Interesting story about AM in Europe. I am not a big radio listener. I have a memory stick with my tunes and pod casts.....

Is there a defrost position also?

Yes. It uses the same heat source as the cabin heat. Looking at the dash controls they are the same as in an ICE vehicle. The only difference is in how the heat is generated.

How much does the air conditioner drop the miles?

Someday, when it cools down some, I'll turn off the A/C and find out. :rolleyes: I do know running the A/C in a hybrid make no noticeable MPG difference as it all electric just like in the Kona EV.

I am starting to consider an EV as one of our two cars and I had noticed the Kona and wondered what it would be like

Just a heads up I finally found something I don't particularly care for in our Kona. :rolleyes: The base SE model here in the US comes with halogen head lights. A plain old HB3 9005 bulb in a "okay" reflector. After a after dark drive I'm not impressed with the light pattern or the design. I may pickup a set of Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs to see if that helps. The SE trim here also does not have Fog lamps. The good news is we seldom drive in the dark...the bad news is there are a about a zillion deer in this area.

How they market the Kona EV trim levels in Oz might make this a moot point but watch out on the lighting. I wouldn't want to be tooling around in the Outback with only the stock lights we have.

HVAC comes out of the battery and your range on a BEV. Heat in the steering wheel and seats keep me comfy in cooler weather. AC has probably kicked in in defrosting but I shut it off after the windows clear. Half of the energy you buy in a gas car warms the air around you for no productive use. Oh well.

Today I had our home Level II charger installed. It took two electricians about 5 hours to do the install. The cost of the system, and professional installation, means this vehicle should "break even" at right around a million miles. :oops: The reality is the expense of installing a Level II home charger, that isn't rolled in to the vehicle financing, could be a serious deal breaker for a lot of folks. After testing it I plugged in the Kona and it went from 46% to 90%, my set charge limit, in a little over three and a half hours. Now my "charger anxiety" is resolved.;)

PXL_20230307_202514538.jpg

PXL_20230307_203748046.jpg

Today I had our home Level II charger installed. It took two electricians about 5 hours to do the install. The cost of the system, and professional installation, means this vehicle should "break even" at right around a million miles. :oops: The reality is the expense of installing a Level II home charger, that isn't rolled in to the vehicle financing, could be a serious deal breaker for a lot of folks. After testing it I plugged in the Kona and it went from 46% to 90%, my set charge limit, in a little over three and a half hours. Now my "charger anxiety" is resolved.;)

View attachment 20249

View attachment 20250
Wow.....

For you EV fans...a $26k jet ski spec sheet. Wonder what the charger costs.?IMG_20230307_180110315_copy_1429x858.jpg

Not anti EV at all, appreciate the performance potential, quietness, etc. A 30k AWD Prius that gets 53 mpg, has a 500+ mile range, and can be refilled in two minutes is pretty compelling though. Also, the wasted heat of ICE is handy 6 months a year up north. Technology increases have come so far in terms of mpg and tailpipe emissions that internal combustion seems like it will be viable for quite a while, especially given the century of infrastructure built around it.

Every house with an electric dryer has a 240v circuit suitable for charging. I charged my brother in law's Tesla by snaking the charging cable through the dryer vent and plugged it right into the 240v wall socket. Running a separate line off that same 240v circuit is not very difficult and much cheaper than 2 electricians for 5 hours. Just turn of the breaker first!

Back
Top Bottom