If my bike had a haircut, it'd be a fade...

rikkijustmike

The black plastic on my cargo pad and some of the accent plastic on the bike has started fading quite badly. Has anyone else dealt with this?

I just bought the bike in December and it only had like 43 miles on the odometer. It's spent a few nights outdoors, but it still pretty early for it to be fading, right?

Just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with it.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The black plastic on my cargo pad and some of the accent plastic on the bike has started fading quite badly. Has anyone else dealt with this?

I just bought the bike in December and it only had like 43 miles on the odometer. It's spent a few nights outdoors, but it still pretty early for it to be fading, right?

Just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with it.
No problem with mine as of yet, however my ST1300 has done that. Protect from sun and apply a thin cover of Johnson and Johnson baby oil on the black plastic. It really does work well. Brought back the black color and maintains it. Does not take a lot to do the job. Just make sure you apply after you wash the bike. If it works on a baby a** it will surly work on your baby.

lcseds

I noticed this on the demo machine I rode. Only had a little over 100 miles but it was getting the "foggy" black look on the seat.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I haven't seen this on my bike. However mine wasn't out of the showroom until October and by then the sun in Maine is pretty low in the sky and not too strong. It will be interesting to see if I get some fading next summer.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
the cover on the tail and the "glove box" covers have faded on my bike. There was some stuff around that was a top dressing for bumper covers years ago that would make the plastic black and shiny again. Haven't looked for any yet.

slowly

Try using Pledge. I use it on my windshield and any plastic parts, it brings the color back. Also use it on my car and trucks .

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I use 303 Protectant on all my black plastic and have for years so I think it's a natch for my new NT700. It is a UV inhibitor and keeps the black plastic looking like new for years. It's sometime hard to find but most marine dealers have it. Use it on all your plastic unpainted parts and you will be thrilled with the result. Works great on tires too!

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I used 303 on my Jeep's soft top years ago and it worked pretty well on both a black top and later on a tan replacement top. You can usually find it at 4WD places that have Jeep farkles as well as marine dealers....

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I use 303 Protectant on all my black plastic and have for years so I think it's a natch for my new NT700. It is a UV inhibitor and keeps the black plastic looking like new for years. It's sometime hard to find but most marine dealers have it. Use it on all your plastic unpainted parts and you will be thrilled with the result. Works great on tires too!

Mike
I use 303 as well. Works well for me. I bought it online.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
303 Protectent is Good stuff

I just used it for the first time last night. I ordered it from autogeek based on recommendations here. I was already ordering another bottle of Klasse All in one cleaner/polish. So it was a no-brainer.

My NT had several plastic pieces fading, the 303 Protectent made them look better than the day I bought the bike. I am serious, they now have this lustrous sheen that isn't as shiny as painted plastics but makes it look much better. I like that it is equivalent to SPF40 and provides on-going protection. Easy enough to apply that even if it needs it 3 or 4 times a year I can do the entire plastics on the bike in 20 min taking my sweet time. To really do a good job I would take off the plastic pieces, then sat in a comfy chair. Sprayed a little 303P on a microfiber towel and gently and thoroughly rubbed it in. Lastly, just rub it off with another clean and dry microfiber towel until the plastic piece is dry. All the plastic pieces that were fading on mine are very easy to remove.

So after a wash, 303 protectent on black plastics, and Klasse AIO on painted surfaces my NT looks amazing. I did take a photo showing one half of the black plastic side piece treated with 303 protectant. I can't post it now since I don't have the photos handy, but I will try and post the photos soon.

clemmel

Put me down as a vote for Lexol's Vinylex. I too saw the black start to fade or take or a gray, ashen look almost immediately and the Vinylex takes it immediately back to the original, brand new plastic look. It holds up after multiple washings and out here in SoCal, it holds up well under the sun.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I may try some 303. My plastic is fading quite a bit, especially the rear carrier. The rear carrier even felt rough. I have used pledge and baby oil. Both work but not for long.
Might be time to try something else.

Brad

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Here is the photo of one of my side panels with half treated 303 protectant. It clearly shows what the plastics looked like before and after. After drying it off with a dry towel there was no slickness or unnatural feeling on the plastic. I really came to hate armor-all because of how it felt after you put it on anything. I am very pleased with this. It looks good and feels right to the touch. Hope it holds up well.

johnha

Jeez, boyz and gurlz, it ain't a Harley its a Honda! Get out and ride the dang thing!

Top Bottom