I'm glad I put so much time, money, and energy into fixing all the things that needed it on my NT this year.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Oh, Aran, that is so sad! I'm guessing that you don't know who did it, but I hope they had the integrity to let you know it. How bad is the damage?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
This has happened to more than one of us. Someone knocked over my FJR in a parking lot with their big jacked up pickup, picked up my bike and was doing a walk around when I came out. They said they hit my license plate with their tire and didnt tell me they knocked over my bike. I only found out when I got home and saw the scratches on the mirror and roll bars. This guy was dressed well and groomed well, too. When ever I go to a motel, put on a bright reflective cover on my bike and find the best safest place to park it. I am very careful where I park my good car, too.
IMG_20220909_202610176.jpg

OP
OP
Aran
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
Oh, Aran, that is so sad! I'm guessing that you don't know who did it, but I hope they had the integrity to let you know it. How bad is the damage?
It was a hit and run, of course.

I haven't done a full tally, but it's clearly going to be a write-off. It took a solid hit from the side and was knocked about 10' from where it was parked, from looking at it in the dark last night everything plastic looks cracked, the windshield is in dozens of pieces, the mirrors both snapped off and went flying, the little fin engine guard took a solid hit so that's bent, the right pannier lid exploded, etc.

OP
OP
Aran
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
1668441901109.png

1668441978204.png

1668441993930.png

The seat release lever moves but won't unlatch the seat, the shifter is moving very stiff but it fired up and went into gear/shifted with a little work. If there were an easy way to turn it into a semi-naked it wouldn't be a terrible project but I think I'm just going to let the insurance have this if they decide it's time, maybe even advocate a bit for it if it's just close. I really don't want to tear it down to naked and start over again if I don't have to, these fairings are a bigger headache than my second gen FJR.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
What a damned shame! I would be absolutely sick...... Maybe someone saw or heard something that will allow the police to track 'em down. Good Luck!

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I think this your 2nd parked on road hit. seems like I remember another hit, but less damage. time to move if you can

Bike
2010 NT700V
Unfortunately, I think the NT is at the point due to age where parts availability especially for the luggage section is suspect. Unless you feel like watching eBay, a drop may mean a write-off at this point if the rear of the bike gets messed up. Big lid availability dried up more than a year ago, and there was a recent thread where someone was having trouble finding a black inner luggage half.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
HERE IT IS. (10) 3.5 months since my last "Something bad happened to my bike" thread. | General | NT-Owners

looks like a total of 3 times hit now parked in street. SAD. sorry to hear Aran. really by now, its time to move or FIND a place INSIDE the garage somehow
I can understand someone not wanting to move, but SOME sort of shed on your property is warrented. It doesnt have to be fancy....
(as an aside, the WSJ says Interestingly, McDonalds corp has told the city of Chicago to clean up its crime or they are moving out like Boeing and so many others, costing the city literally Billions. )
1668728535874.png

OP
OP
Aran
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
It was parked on the street because I was going back out shortly. I don't have a nice neat driveway I can just drive down and park in my nice spacious garage easily.

And I'm not selling my house and going through all the work of finding a new place to live and a house that I can afford just because two assholes and a drunk hit my bike over the course of a couple years.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Years ago I lived in an apartment complex and my bike apparently got bumped and knocked over in the parking lot. Thankfully no damage but I could foresee a problem. So I spoke to the management and ended up making a deal with them. They agreed to let me put 3 two foot concrete squares in the ground (2 for the tires, 1 for kickstand) near the steps to the apartment building I was in with the agreement I would take care of the grass in that section so their maintenance crews would not have to mow around my bike. I also agreed to take care of it if and when I moved and they could hold my deposit if not satisfied. I lived there about 5 years after that with no issues and it seemed my neighbors helped me keep and eye on it when it was there. Kept my end of the bargain when I moved to a house and they were satisfied with my repairs and gave me back my deposit. Just a though to get it off the road and is pretty inexpensive.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Maybe go get two four-wheeled "Mechanic's specials", park them in the street and put the bike between them?

OP
OP
Aran
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
So anyhow.

My insurance adjuster called me earlier while I was taking a nap in the bath to let me know he finished the write up. My 2010 NT700V I bought with 24k miles in July of 2020 for $4200 and put 30k miles on in a little over two years has been declared a total loss, and on Monday I go in to exchange the title for a check for.... $5900

Top Bottom