I'm glad I put so much time, money, and energy into fixing all the things that needed it on my NT this year.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I'm not familiar with this scenario, but doesn't leaving a ride in the street come with higher insurance premiums? Especially know they know they're paying to insure motorbikes being left on the street.

OP
OP
Aran
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
I'm not familiar with this scenario, but doesn't leaving a ride in the street come with higher insurance premiums? Especially know they know they're paying to insure motorbikes being left on the street.
"left on the street"

Buddy, you know millions, maybe even hundreds of millions at this point, of people live in cities right? Street parking vehicles is literally just a normal thing. It's not like we just drop our bikes in the middle of a travel lane and wander off, they're parked like any other vehicle.

Edit: And yes, they probably do take that into account for people who live in cities.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I guess it depends on the insurer.

My insurance has never asked where I parked, only zip code and if it has a security system or not. I've never submitted a claim for a hit and run, so I imagine this could change and they might be a little more interested in parking arrangements if I did so.

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Geico never asks me about parking...........like above, only if it has a Security System or not. Which...........puzzles me (security system question). So, I asked the Geico rep on the phone: if I am only getting "Liability Coverage" on the bike (not Theft, not Collision), why would Geico want to know this??? If the bike is stolen, they will not cover it anyway??
He said........"you get a discount if a Security System is installed". I think the question flew right over his head..........????????

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I guess it depends on the insurer.
... snip ...
My insurance has never asked where I parked, only zip code and if it has a security system or not. I've never submitted a claim for a hit and run, so I imagine this could change and they might be a little more interested in parking arrangements if I did so.
In France, especially living in the Paris region, they want to know exactly where you normally park your motor vehicle when at home. They also require very specific types of security depending on the vehicle.

For example, my 2010 NT700VAA (Deauville) with nearly 198,000 km (123,000 miles) has the following requirements on her "All Risks" (including legal and breakdown/recovery cover) policy:

when parked at home:
  • An SRA approved Lock fitted - proof of purchase required
  • Steering lock engaged
  • Must be parked in my locked, alarmed, underground garage
when not at home:
  • The above SRA approved Lock fitted
  • Steering lock engaged
The requirements for my 2019 FJR with just over 20,000 km (12,500 miles) are exactly the same.

Note: for Paris, the policies are very cheap but failure to observe these requirements results in a payout reduced by 50%

OP
OP
Aran
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
Well, I got my check on Monday, it cleared yesterday, and I did an eight hour round trip to go pick up a 2007 FJR1300 in Ohio.

Ironically there was a ridiculously low miles NT700V barely two weeks earlier on Craigslist that was almost exactly like mine but a lot lower mileage for about $4k that sold before mine was hit, would have been a seamless change.

But... well..... I missed the FJR. This'll be my fourth, let's hope nobody hits it. ;)

Funny thing is it's ~$100/yr cheaper to insure, too. Must be just the ABS difference.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Glad you're back on two wheels, enjoy the new scoot, stay safe in "Picksburg" as the locals are wont to say.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Geico never asks me about parking...........like above, only if it has a Security System or not. Which...........puzzles me (security system question). So, I asked the Geico rep on the phone: if I am only getting "Liability Coverage" on the bike (not Theft, not Collision), why would Geico want to know this??? If the bike is stolen, they will not cover it anyway??
He said........"you get a discount if a Security System is installed". I think the question flew right over his head..........????????
I think my insurance company uses "Zones". Where you live has an effect on your rates. That is also what my gun insurance company uses.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Well, I got my check on Monday, it cleared yesterday, and I did an eight hour round trip to go pick up a 2007 FJR1300 in Ohio.

Ironically there was a ridiculously low miles NT700V barely two weeks earlier on Craigslist that was almost exactly like mine but a lot lower mileage for about $4k that sold before mine was hit, would have been a seamless change.

But... well..... I missed the FJR. This'll be my fourth, let's hope nobody hits it. ;)

Funny thing is it's ~$100/yr cheaper to insure, too. Must be just the ABS difference.
Love my 2014 FJR, cruise control and electric wind screen and heated grips.....but it seems to get heavier every year, so I take it to Reno and back as it eats miles and the weather in Sept can be iffy.
Except for the residence halls at the University of Illinois, I never kept a bike outside.......first it was more of a "element exposure" issue but now in Spokane theft and vandalism is an issue everywhere. In Reno on the streets of rural Stead, Nevada, I have watched people parallel park by brail...

Top Bottom