I'm Only Looking...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I haven't left either :D :D :D

You all noticed when I went through my decision process about a newer bike. ST, FJR, Connie, Beemer, etc. Went through the same kind of reasoning being mentioned here. Keep in mind I rarely take my bike into a dealer so that doesn't even factor into this. In fact, a bit the opposite. Being able to repair things on the bike myself is one of the biggest issues for me.

This is a good quote "Even if a Deauville isn't the motorcycle you want, it's probably the one you need...Everything a big tourer can do, slightly less fast." Extremely accurate.

Even though I love my Goose, the NT was a great bike. Not appreciated much for what it was. I do have to say my judgement is clouded by my hatred of chains on a daily commuter and touring bike. If you include chains then new bikes these days are still limited. You either have to go with a high hp bike like the Connie or FJR or Triumph, or you are stuck with the little Beemer. If the F800GT had as good wind protection as the bigger brothers, and they got rid of the vibrations then it would be a good choice (even better if they got the price lower).

I searched for several months, looked at other bikes, asked owners a lot of questions, even rode a couple. I ended up keeping my Goose and upgrading it.

My Guzzi is kinda like the NT but in a raw, more unrefined package. So,rather than spend a ton of money on something that is much heavier and has too much power for me, I will keep it. If I do want more power a $1000 upgrade will get me a 100hp motor at NO increase in weight. That is a bolt in replacement. (still not 6 speeds, but, 20 more hp :) )

If I had to pick today from new bikes I would be 'stuck'. There just isn't anything out there that fits my criteria except the Norge. The problem I have with it is the computer. If it breaks I am stuck. An engine management computer is OK, but, when it is tied into the dash and everything affects the ability to start the bike, I get nervous, especially with a Guzzi. If Honda made it I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

So, I understand the problem Phil and others on here face when considering another bike. There just isn't much to choose from unless you want a high performance bike that is heavier than I'd like.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
There just isn't much to choose from unless you want a high performance bike that is heavier than I'd like.
I disagree, there are hundreds of new models covering a huge spectrum of sizes and riding types. It is when you start saying it can't have ......, or it must have ....., that you start limiting your choices. There is no perfect motorcycle for me on the market today, at least I haven't found it yet :rolleyes1:, but there are several that are "close enough" to work...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I do agree with you, there are hundreds.

Just not the one I want, even if I do compromise on some things, like not having cruise control :)

Full or at least a good 3/4 fairing. Close to 100hp. As close to 500lb as I can get (if not less when measured without the cases). Decent seating position (not racer, not cruiser). Comfortable at speed. Shaft drive 'almost' required, but, it something is out there with a chain will look at it.

Like I said, the F800GT comes close but fairing/windshield is not quite there and it is still buzzy well beyond comfortable (and it costs way too much).

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
LOL Terry is trying to gt me to buy drinks giving me a 75, to be plumb honest I will be 78 in June, and plan to ride to at least my 93rd birthday. at that point I will consider slowing down a little1

If I tottaly wanted a light weight hight horse power bike that is chain driven Ducati builds it. carbon fibre etc beautiful paint and workmanship!!! A very steep price tag of a bit over $50,000.00 and a $3500.00 helmlet to go with it. One of my sons friends, a retired Army troop has one . the modle name escapes my memory, mayby Lejaro???,I have sar on it and the ride position eldonwould kill me in probably 25 miles, a factory street racer type. I suppose it could be fixed with a wind screen and risor system etc , but not much of a place for luggage etc either so not much danger of me going there, but the workmanship and attention to detail is there for sure!

Eldon

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
On one hand, I'l like to go to Spearfish and meet a bunch of NT riders...but I doubt any will be there..
Chris, there will be at least one NT rider there. I'm going. If you want to come, too, we can sit off in a corner and feel smug about ourselves. :)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Arthur,

Well, I'll chime in again (and again and again and again, probably!). As a person who's not looking for a different bike because I've settled back down to being happy with my NT (and it's only got 95,600 miles on it, so it'll last at least another 50-75,000 miles, don't you think?), this is what I think.

I love PC800s, but I never had one or rode one except for around the block when I was looking for my first bike. the guy who owned it wanted $4K for it and I was going through a divorce, so that was out of the question. I ended up with an '83 GL650i Silverwing that I loved and rode for a year before I bought a '99 Kawasaki Concours (the first of two '99 Connies I rode before buying my NT).

In the summer of 2000, I rode from Brian Head, UT, to Mountain Home, AR, with two other Connies and a PC800. The only downside to the PC that I could see was that it had a range of only about 150 miles while our Concours were getting 250 or better.

I've loved my NT and it's worked for me for everything I've asked it to do.

I'm not a balls-to-the-wall type rider, and I'm getting less so as I get older. The handling is good for me and when I ride with others I usually keep up. I've got two friends who ride Concours, one an '86 C10, the other an '11 C14. We do fine together when it's just one of them and me. If both of them are with me, I just forget about trying to stay with them because they can't resist trying to out-do one another. To stay with them, I'd be dragging my pegs which are lowered for my old achy replaced knees and I'm not willing to do that on a repetitive basis.

My wife doesn't ride with me, so my bike has never had a passenger on the back, but I've carried a lot of weight -- both mine and my stuff, especially when I did my Epic Ride in the summer of '13. Even loaded, it was comfortable at speeds between 85-90 on I-10 in west Texas.

I like the ergonomics of the BMW R-1100/1150/1200RTs better than anything else I've ever sat on. By adding Motorcycle Larry's bar risers and peg lowerers and a Russell DayLong saddle, I've gotten pretty close to those ergos. The ergos on the F800GT are nowhere near as comfortable for me, plus, as others have said, its weather protection is, IMNSHO, not much better than a naked or sports bike -- surely not what I'd want for riding long distances or in cold or wet weather. I think the belt drive would be OK, certainly better than a chain maintenance-wise, but I guess they might not be so great on gravel or rocky roads.

The NT carrying a load:

Attachments

Last edited:

tawilke46

Phil, I had a PC800 for nine years. It had a 4.2 gallon tank, which is on the smallish side for a touring bike. But Honda of America designed the PC as a California commuter bike, so they figured that was enough. I averaged between 50 and 55mpg on mine. Highest I got on a ride to Natchez in 2002, was 65mpg calculated. Of course that day we did have a slight tailwind, which helped.
You are right though, as I usually filled up at 150 to 160 miles. I was ready to stop by then anyway.
Although if I pushed it could go to 180 plus. Never ran out of gas.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The NT carrying a load:
Here is Phil's bike on the way to AK.
It took Phil a while to create that tower of packs in the morning, but they never came off.
The Dry Spec bags have great attachment features.

And I agree with what Phil said about the BMW. The RTs fit me well (except the price tag and maintenance). My NT has about the same ergo farkles as Phil's except I raised my seat instead of lowering my pegs. The BMW F800GT isn't even close to fitting me. The Versys and DL650 are much better if you want less fairing protection.

Attachments

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Eldon, you getting to a an icon for us 'younger' riders. You're amazing.

Terry
Thanks Terry,

HMM! last night I finaly broke down and ordered a new GPS, a garmin 350LM motorcycle specific, This was after a lot of researching. I didn't weant blue tooth ETC just a basic find it tool , I was looking at the 665 but lots of negatives posted regarding screen visibility ETC. A 7 inch screen would be nice, but noyhing I found seemed to be MC friendly out of the box, and as some of you know I am not computerized to the extent that I can handle all of the things thatinvolve computers to the gps etc,

I finaly wentto bed and while asleep I dreamed about that HIGH Dollar Dukatie adapted to good bags, windshield, heated grips , a Helie riser system, and still weighing in well under 500 LBS with many horse poer and all of its Carbon fibre technology! LOL very tempting but a rather expensive toy to experiment with. A;so the narest dealer is in downtown Seattle YUK! I hate to go to tha area, but the dealership there seems to be a good operation.I was there with my son's friend and when the sales mgr ask me if I was interested in a DUKE, I answered him saying if I was I might get into the doghouse at home as I had just bought the FJR, He aniled and said that in his opinion the FJR was one of the best buy's available after Ducaties!. Then I was introduced to the $3500.00 dollar carbon fibre hemlet! WOW that thing is So light and super well made in every respect, but is non modular. I admired it and was ask what I was wearing currently and I said C-3 which got a very positive response.

The question is am I going to become a Ducati convert? I seriously doubt it, now if I were 20 years younger I would be very tempted, even though it has a nasty old fashioned CHAIN drive!

Speaking of Spearfish and bikes, depending on how things work out I don't know what I will ride for sure, this is a big year being 75 th yea for Sturgis, and IF my time allows I may have to ride the HD Ultra and stay in the area for a extra week or two.

AS for the DUKE, I'm only looking!;)

Eldon

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Thanks, I was just thinking perhaps someone who rode both would be able to do a direct comparison. For example, Yes, the NT could use a 6th gear but "not as noticeable as the PC" or "much more so than the PC". Or you will notice the NT has more/less power than the PC in _____ situation.

If I break down and get one, it will be sight unseen so any direct comparison to what I know would help. Perhaps that is an unreasonable ask so I'll stop now. Thanks.
There are a few people in here who have owned PC's so ask in a separate thread and see what you get.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Threads like these are kinda like Hot Stove League conversations in the winter. Most of you can't get out to ride, so we stay inside during the snow and ice and have fun conversations like this.

Except for me - the weather was in the mid-70s yesterday, so I put about 160 miles on the NT and went out for a burger.

Terry, 1. Determine what YOU really want in a motorcycle. Not what you think you need or can live with, but what the heart says you really want. 2.Then determine which bikes come closest to that and put them in a priority order 3. Decide if your finances can support your #1 choice and if not move to your #2 choice, etc. 4. Go buy it and 5. Go Ride. Only worry about trade in value after you have made your choice. Once the money is spent, it will not be thought about again. You only live once. With all this said , the NT is a fine little machine, and in my later years I might have one again.
Excellent statement!!

When you get right down to it, the vast majority of us buy and ride motorcycles for the emotional thrill it gives us. Practicality is secondary. I know some of us ride our bikes to work (including me), but our bikes are not our only form of transport. There may be somebody on the forum whose bike is their only transportation, but I doubt it. For most of us, if there's ice on the road, or we have to go to the supermarket on the way home or we have to pick up the kids after school, we can leave the bike at home and drive the car or pickup to work.

Yes, I came from an underpowered past with a 66 VW Beetle that put out a whooping 50 hp and pushed a 2000 lb vehicle around nicely to even freeway speeds. I never had a problem passing...I rethought what was a "safe" opening and lived with it. Patience is a good thing. I'm probably alive now because of it. Passing where mere mortals wouldn't in cars, was not an option like it would be with a high powered car engine in a motorcycle frame. At some point, we realize that at 60+ years of age, we don't have the reflexes to respond to what you'll get when you marry a car engine to a motorcycle frame. We either back off from what the bike is capable of...or die.

Knowing where you live at, I wonder where you'll use all that extra power? On the blind curves of Hwy 101 leading out to Neah Bay? Will the road be washed out with gravel all over it after the next turn? I'll bet that if it is, you'll be happy you paid for the suspsension options that will make you feel good as your front wheel washes out in front of you and the bike goes down in that gravel. All the electronics in the world won't make up for the dangers of gravel, sand or rocks in the apex of a blind turn. What will you do then? Oh...slow down to what a mere motorcycle like the NT can do...that you already have.

Chris
Chris and I used to ride the same bike. We both loved our Burgman 400s, and I remember answering lots of forum discussions and saying the Burgie had plenty of power. As a man of my word, I rode the Burgman 400 on a 3,000+ trip to Columbus, Georgia, and back, then took another ride to Las Vegas that was over 3,600 miles. Did the Burgman perform? Oh - you bet it did! Solid little bike - but I also discovered that when I rode westward, a little more power might be nice while crossing the Mojave Desert or riding northward on the Interstate out of Las Vegas.

So, I found the extra power of the NT over the Burgman came in handy.

At least, the extra power was nice for me.

Some of you may recall that I find the new BMW R1200RT to be drool-worthy. For me, that's just window shopping. But, just because I'm on a diet doesn't mean I can't look at the menu. I think most of us suffer from bike lust every now and then. If we didn't have that happen to us, the bike manufacturers would go out of business.

Could I use a little extra power with the NT? Sure - the engine needs to be up towards the top of the power curve in order to pass sometimes. If I'm lazy (which is often) I'd like to just roll on the throttle rather than having to down shift.

As to passengers, I seldom have anyone behind me, except for the very occasional times when my daughter has time to ride with me. But, she only weights 95 pounds, and the NT handles her weight with ease. She also knows how to travel light - much different than my wife who feels she needs the kitchen sink to travel with her.

Referring to Chris' statement that there might not be any NTs at Spearfish, Phil replied
Chris, there will be at least one NT rider there. I'm going. If you want to come, too, we can sit off in a corner and feel smug about ourselves. :)
If the creek don't rise, I'll be there too. Not sure how smug we can be if there are three of us there,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Looks kinda like a two wheel pickup truck. Now THAT'S a load!
Yeah, and that was without me on it, Rich!

Jim took that picture in Clearmont, WY, west of Spotted Horse on US-14, as we were heading for the Big Horns early in the Epic Ride. Clearmont is the only place I've ever seen a Tomahawk Feed grain elevator. :)

That day ended in Lovell, WY, where we had a heck of a time getting rid of Pete, a person who made even my verbosity look like virtual silence. Pet was an old guy (whatever that means) who had ridden, he said to Ushiah and Deadhorse Point and was now riding somewhere on a Touring version of the TU-250. He followed us into our room when we were trying to change clothes to go to supper, he followed us to supper and then he tried to follow us back into our room after supper. We managed to lose him the next morning without having him try to follow us to breakfast (or, for that matter, to the dentist after I lost a crown).

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Yeah, and that was without me on it, Rich!

Jim took that picture in Clearmont, WY, west of Spotted Horse on US-14, as we were heading for the Big Horns early in the Epic Ride. Clearmont is the only place I've ever seen a Tomahawk Feed grain elevator. :)

That day ended in Lovell, WY, where we had a heck of a time getting rid of Pete, a person who made even my verbosity look like virtual silence. Pet was an old guy (whatever that means) who had ridden, he said to Ushiah and Deadhorse Point and was now riding somewhere on a Touring version of the TU-250. He followed us into our room when we were trying to change clothes to go to supper, he followed us to supper and then he tried to follow us back into our room after supper. We managed to lose him the next morning without having him try to follow us to breakfast (or, for that matter, to the dentist after I lost a crown).
Sounds like Pete was one of those life lessons, in this case "Patience"

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
Sure is tempting. Not much to be said in a negative tone about the FJs. I myself have been just slightly, ever so slightly, interested in the FJ-09 (I'm pretty much done with anything bigger.) I've also been looking at the VFR 800. If I had to buy now and choose between the two, I' believe I'd lean towards the VFR (I'm just 5'4"---and a touch.) I have enjoyed the NT so very much, though, and still have two or three years before I'd have to decide on purchasing something new (want it payed off before I semi-retire.) If Honda continued supplying us with the NT, I wouldn't change at all. It's been the perfect bike for me.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
This thread is a little off course, but what the heck, it's winter and I have nothing else to do.

a person who made even my verbosity look like virtual silence.
I was pretty amused witnessing Phil getting out talked - for a while. Then Pete was downright obnoxious as he continued.

Phil left out the part of how he somehow got the lady at the motel to his laundry and fold it for him as well. He just has a way with people.
There was no conversation the net morning as we both packed up the bikes and got out before Pete could catch us again. That was the fastest I saw Phil pack his bike on the whole trip. He didn't even hurry that much for the mosquitoes. And as it turned out it was a good thing we hurried out of the motel. We got delayed by Phil's unexpected trip to the dentist for a road repair which put us a little late to start riding (by my standards not Phil's). We rode to West Yellowstone and arrived as it was getting dark. I wanted to head to the campground, but Phil thought it would be best to eat first. He assured me we could camp at the KOA there. After dinner when we arrived at the KOA it was FULL. We found another campground and got a site 1 minute before they closed for the night.

That day was sort of a turning point for our trip. We got away from Pete, got laundry done, got a dental repair, found a campsite at the last minute, and best of all Phil found his cell phone the next mouning. We settled into a good pace after that and enjoyed a wonderful trip to Alaska.

I can't tell a story like Phil, he just has a way.

Top Bottom