Improved Pannier Latches

As shown in earlier pictures that I fit exterior latched to my large pannier lids. I was forced to opt for the solution after one side failed to get released and /or unlock latching mechanism stopped working.

However, I was lucky enough to secure a set of slim pannier lids in the same color as my bike. I will definately be reinforcing the plastic bosses.

However, any advice on servicing the existing pannier locking mechanism??

I went a different route with my repairs. After removing the bag from the bike(what a pain) I simply drilled through the boss on the non lid side and used a through bolt/nut to hold the mechanism secure. A 10/32 button head bolt head ends up just above the gasket surface. For the lid side, I am using the epoxy reinforcement tip to strengthen the screw boss. Time will tell if it holds up.
Hi All,

Just a quick update, got my latches from china (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32616694470.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.65a638daP0A9Z1&mp=1)and following templates.

Latches seems to be of good quality with almost same specs as owatch / Southco V7-20- 101-50 latches. The price was also decent, however, delivery took 25 days.

I will use following provided templates and will report back :)

Template 2.jpgTemplate 1.jpg
Hi All,

Just a quick update, got my latches from china (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32616694470.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.65a638daP0A9Z1&mp=1)and following templates.

Latches seems to be of good quality with almost same specs as owatch / Southco V7-20- 101-50 latches. The price was also decent, however, delivery took 25 days.

I will use following provided templates and will report back :)

Template 2.jpgTemplate 1.jpg

I did the same thing coastie, all 4 bosses were broken off my RH bag body where the latch attached when I bought the bike. Took the body off and glued them back then discovered they were all stripped out as well, so I drilled through with bolts and nuts same as you

Another possibility I thought of after was to get JB weld plastic putty and fill in the bosses then tap them with the stock screws. Don't know how well this would hold but I know the bolts should.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
does any one experience fixing the nut boss with these kinds of rivet nuts and jbweld ?

1684247286968.png
Someone on the forum did such a repair and inserted a threaded insert into the epoxy a while back. I don't think they used riv nuts though. I don't know why they wouldn't work.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Yes, I drilled the pannier lid bosses and epoxied in threaded brass tubes on one set of lids and epoxied all thread in on my original lids. If you use all thread go small so there is room for the nut to turn and tighten and not interfere with the latch loops.
I think using metal and not a screw in the plastic is a good improvement.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yes, I drilled the pannier lid bosses and epoxied in threaded brass tubes on one set of lids and epoxied all thread in on my original lids. If you use all thread go small so there is room for the nut to turn and tighten and not interfere with the latch loops.
I think using metal and not a screw in the plastic is a good improvement.

Arknt
Yes, indeed! Had Honda chosen to use molded in threaded inserts and machine screws none of us would be having this conversation. No one gave a thought in the design phase that self-tapping screws stress the medium they are in and that plastic is subject to embrittlement over time. I just wonder how much the actual extra cost would have been to use threaded inserts and machine screws?

Mike

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
gr8.. how are the threaded brass tubes holding up?

Also, can I request pictures of both fixes....

My left side latch has broken and I am thinkign of 1) external latches OR 2) this internal fix...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
No one gave a thought in the design phase that self-tapping screws stress the medium they are in and that plastic is subject to embrittlement over time.
Oh they did, back in the day though...

On the ST1100 fairing (D&D in the late 80ies, introduced '90...) threaded expanding brass inserts do exist...

Spreizmuffe HETTICH M4 5 mm.jpg

Lack of such concepts in today's product is just a sign of the times...

I have already played with the thoughts of upgrading the lids of my GF's NT700VA in this manner...

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't have any pics that show the threaded inserts and I don't have the NT any longer. I used them without issue for a few years. I never had to go farther than that and add external latches.
Another thing to be careful with if adding inserts is to get the height correct so the latch loops click in the latches snuggly but not having to force anything.

Arknt

Top Bottom