Improved Pannier Latches

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
After several go-arounds with many other members regarding the external latches that I choose to install on my bike. I decided to replace them with a sleeker and motorcycle in appearance latches.

I settled on some latches made by OWACH Industrial Hardware available on Amazon, OWACH - CL-307-2L. The locks on these have 3 tumbler plates in the insert and the provided key fits loosely. Security is better than the ones that these replaced.

Here are several pictures of one of these that I installed last night.

NT700_Latch01.jpg, NT700_Latch02.jpg, NT700_Latch03.jpg, NT700_Latch04.jpg

These were installed using 1/8" Pop Revits with a 1/16" thick backing plate for rigidity.

I hope that these are more to everyone's liking. I got ripped on the last one that I used.

Let me know what you all think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Those were functional, to put it mildly. The locking mechanism could be easily defeated very easily with a paper clip or hairpin. Considering that I live in a major metropolis, moving to something with a better locking mechanism that is not easily defeated was a smarter move.

Hopefully, I have also inspired someone else experiencing the dreaded Pannier Latch Issues to take a patch to a solution.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I hope that these are more to everyone's liking. I got ripped on the last one that I used.

Hey, now......you say you got ripped on the last one and then say 'let me know what you all think'..... ;)

I ordered the smaller Southco ones in black from McMaster-Carr, and it looks like UPS lost them. They were supposed to be here today, and I was hoping to install them over the weekend.

Partly it's because they look more appropriate to the bike, partly that it has a 'real' tumbler lock, and partly because it's got the weather-resistant sprung cover over the lock.

I sort of agonized whether to go with the Southco or your original one due to the smaller footprint, and the rotating mechanism. Glad to see that you were still able to make the second version work with your previous mounting holes!

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Hey, now......you say you got ripped on the last one and then say 'let me know what you all think'..... ;)

I ordered the smaller Southco ones in black from McMaster-Carr, and it looks like UPS lost them. They were supposed to be here today, and I was hoping to install them over the weekend.

Partly it's because they look more appropriate to the bike, partly that it has a 'real' tumbler lock, and partly because it's got the weather-resistant sprung cover over the lock.

I sort of agonized whether to go with the Southco or your original one due to the smaller footprint, and the rotating mechanism. Glad to see that you were still able to make the second version work with your previous mounting holes!
Your "Hardware Store" comment motivated me to look for something else. The twist-lock unit was functional as you mentioned, however, it was not very secure in terms of security. As mentioned earlier someone with either a paperclip or hairpin could defeat it fairly easily.

Actually, 1 out of the 4 holes was used of the original footprint. The 4 mounting holes for the hasp (to lack a better term) are now on a portion of the lid that puts them in the interior of the saddle bag. Not to mention that 2 of these holes are almost against the partition tab for the right side saddlebag. For those holes, I used a couple of sheet metal screws to hold down the hasp plate. The left may actually on that partition portion. I will see if I can do anything to get that one mounted tonight. The hasp mounting holes were on the lip of the lid edge towards the exterior of the storage compartment.

3 tumblers to defeat will take a bit more time to defeat, which will deter a would-be thief looking for an easy target. These latches look like they belong on a motorcycle. Also turning the key only 90° to lock them is a lot easier than 360° in each direction.

I have to thank you for pushing me to go to the next level. I think it will be for the better in the long run.

Attachments

Bike
Honda NT700V and a Vespa
Brilliant idea and nice latch. Simple and clean lines. Shouldn't cause any further issues and now easier to replace than standard mechanism, if these do fail. Thanks for sharing Bruce. Cheers Trev of OZ.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I got my latches and did a little test mounting.

These are Southco V7-10-115-10, which are 2-7/8"/72mm long. They mount with tiny M3 screws, not included. I think #4 would be the closest english equivalent.

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=587

Bruce, how many screws did you use on the main latch portion? I assume that yours have provisions for 4 like these Southcos. I'm trying to decide how best to locate it with the plastic rib that runs along the pannier lid.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#draw-latches/=1e1n394
McMaster-Carr # 6694A61, $18.29 ea.
Note that they come keyed the same.

Maybe when placement is considered, I should have gone with the larger ones.....? We'll see.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
After several go-arounds with many other members regarding the external latches that I choose to install on my bike. I decided to replace them with a sleeker and motorcycle in appearance latches.

I settled on some latches made by OWACH Industrial Hardware available on Amazon, OWACH - CL-307-2L. The locks on these have 3 tumbler plates in the insert and the provided key fits loosely. Security is better than the ones that these replaced.

Here are several pictures of one of these that I installed last night.

NT700_Latch01.jpg, NT700_Latch02.jpg, NT700_Latch03.jpg, NT700_Latch04.jpg

These were installed using 1/8" Pop Revits with a 1/16" thick backing plate for rigidity.

I installed mine three years ago on both the small and large lids, they are all keyed alike and work great!

IMG_2650.jpg

Has anyone considered using two of the Owach or Southco latches per case? Owach makes a non-lockable version and Southco also (although only in the larger latch size). I’m thinking of using one of each per case. Wonder if any increase in rigidity would be beneficial. Are y’all satisfied with the single latch installation, or might you consider 2 per side were you to get a do-over? :think1:

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Um, did you see bearbait's post just above you?

BTW, the latches can be left unlocked, so you could order 4 keyed, and only lock 2 if you prefer. 4 if you are in a neighborhood with bars on the party store and paycheck advance store windows.....

BTW, the latches can be left unlocked, so you could order 4 keyed, and only lock 2 if you prefer. 4 if you are in a neighborhood with bars on the party store and paycheck advance store windows.....
I did see his post, but glancing at it, I mistakenly thought they were Bruce’s HW store latches. I did notice the Owach listing on Amazon indicated the latch could be closed, unlocked. Am assuming the same would be true with the Southcos. Probably better to go with 4 lockers for my frequent trips to the paycheck advance and marijuana dispensaries..:wink:

Bike
2010 NT700V

Two latches pull the lid evenly shut. I also use an Arno strap on the inside to keep my bag liners and gear from pushing against the lids. As far as security, any latch only keeps out the honest. If someone wants your stuff, it's easy to break all plastic! BB

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I got my latches and did a little test mounting.

These are Southco V7-10-115-10, which are 2-7/8"/72mm long. They mount with tiny M3 screws, not included. I think #4 would be the closest english equivalent.

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=587

Bruce, how many screws did you use on the main latch portion? I assume that yours have provisions for 4 like these Southcos. I'm trying to decide how best to locate it with the plastic rib that runs along the pannier lid.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#draw-latches/=1e1n394
McMaster-Carr # 6694A61, $18.29 ea.
Note that they come keyed the same.

Maybe when placement is considered, I should have gone with the larger ones.....? We'll see.
Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town for several days with no internet access.

I used 2 steel 1/8" pop rivets with an aluminum backing plate for the rear set of holes and 2 #6 sheet metal screws for the front set of holes. This was due to there was not enough clearance for a backing plate to use the rivets.

Please see the images of this latch's installation in the images below. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I did see his post, but glancing at it, I mistakenly thought they were Bruce’s HW store latches. I did notice the Owach listing on Amazon indicated the latch could be closed, unlocked. Am assuming the same would be true with the Southcos. Probably better to go with 4 lockers for my frequent trips to the paycheck advance and marijuana dispensaries..:wink:
Sojourner's Hardware Store comment did not set well with me the first time around.

First Latch Go-Around.

Thanks for salting an open wound. :rolleyes1:

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Has anyone considered using two of the Owach or Southco latches per case? Owach makes a non-lockable version and Southco also (although only in the larger latch size). I’m thinking of using one of each per case. Wonder if any increase in rigidity would be beneficial. Are y’all satisfied with the single latch installation, or might you consider 2 per side were you to get a do-over? :think1:
Today is the first day I rode into work since the installation of these latches. One latch placed as shown in my images seems to be plenty enough to handle the highway vibration. I also think that the backing plates that installed behind them are helping with their rigidity.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town for several days with no internet access.

I used 2 steel 1/8" pop rivets with an aluminum backing plate for the rear set of holes and 2 #6 sheet metal screws for the front set of holes. This was due to there was not enough clearance for a backing plate to use the rivets.

Please see the images of this latch's installation in the images below. Let me know if you have any further questions.
No worries, I wasn't expecting an immediate response.......or any at all, this is the interwebs! :)

What I was curious about is, on the inside of the pannier lid, there's a rib/wall, and I was wondering if you managed to get all 4 attachments on one side, or if it was 2 on one side and 2 on the other.

I've been lazy and still haven't got mine mounted. My bike is my toy, my VW GTI is my daily driver. I've been looking at M3 hardware and taps.....I'm actually thinking of tapping my aluminum backing plate, and adding nuts as locknuts for security.

Sorry for perturbing you with my 'hardware store' comment. :) I wasn't making a value judgment, because I know folks have different criteria. I've worked in automotive studios, so despite my engineering side, I've developed an 'aesthetic' side as well. :)

I'm also one who tends to over-think things. But when I make a decision, I rarely regret it since it's usually well-thought-out.

The fact that the previous latches were turn-to-draw was actually a nice feature. You're less likely to have it come open unexpectedly.

OP
OP
Brillot2000
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
No worries, I wasn't expecting an immediate response.......or any at all, this is the interwebs! :)

What I was curious about is, on the inside of the pannier lid, there's a rib/wall, and I was wondering if you managed to get all 4 attachments on one side, or if it was 2 on one side and 2 on the other.

I've been lazy and still haven't got mine mounted. My bike is my toy, my VW GTI is my daily driver. I've been looking at M3 hardware and taps.....I'm actually thinking of tapping my aluminum backing plate, and adding nuts as locknuts for security.

Sorry for perturbing you with my 'hardware store' comment. :) I wasn't making a value judgment, because I know folks have different criteria. I've worked in automotive studios, so despite my engineering side, I've developed an 'aesthetic' side as well. :)

I'm also one who tends to over-think things. But when I make a decision, I rarely regret it since it's usually well-thought-out.

The fact that the previous latches were turn-to-draw was actually a nice feature. You're less likely to have it come open unexpectedly.
I personally steered away from using machine screw hardware due to all the complex curves on the mating surfaces. That's why I went with 1/16 aluminum sheet metal plates and pop rivets. The sheet metal plates will form to the mating surface as the rivets are being drawn in.

I am not 100% convinced that traditional hardware will be as forgiving as the rivets and the aluminum plates. A tapped block of aluminum with enough depth to get enough threads will not for sure.

Just mine thoughts regarding this approach.

All is forgiven if you look at what I recently have done in regards to these latches.
I definitely looked at, and appreciate, your pics documenting the install.. Thanks

i ordered four of the black Owach latches yesterday and plan to install them probably just forward of where the stock latches are.
Looks like that's where bearbait installed his.

Afraid it will be awhile until the install. No work excuses, just too much motorcycle love, being involved with Vintage Japanese MCs
and a rally in Prescott coming up in Sept. Trying to get my anti-tourer 1966 Yamaha 100cc Twin Jet running and ready, plus 2 others..
Great to be "retired" and busy.

When I get to the 4-latch install, I'll document it, and if anything of value to add, post it to the growing latch-fix library. :twocents1:

Top Bottom