In the Shop...

bicyclist

Silverstrike, take a look at this thread on using Triumph fork gaiters to protect your fork tubes.

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?1126-Installing-Triumph-fork-gaitors&highlight=triumph+fork+gaiters

Chris, slitting gaiters and wrapping them around the forks won't work. They'd soon fail. Doing the job right is so easy, it isn't worth trying to save a few minutes doing it the quick and dirty way.

Phil, you might consider handing the boys a pair of gaiters when they do your seals. They could slip them on when they put the bike back together.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Phil If you don't have the shop do it, and want to put the gaiters on your bike, bring it over here. We can do at my place. It is easy. Remove brake calibers, remove front wheel, remove fender, remove forks. Reassemble in reverse order, making sure all nuts and bolts are torqued correctly. At the same time check wheel bearings and brake pads. We could even make a tech session out of it. And don't forget abouts Sue's deserts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck, I think I'll take you up on that. I'll order the gaiters and surely I can find a day between now and the time I leave on the Ride. Sue's desserts are a deal-clincher for me!

slider

Yep I'm getting the gaiters too. I'm embarrassed I bought this seal mate. It's literally a thin sheet of plastic. I was thinking utility knife kind of tool. Well, for $8 I guess it can take some space in the toolbox. Might be good for flossing too.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
OK, No problem. I think we need to work around Phil's work schedule. Maybe a Sat would be best so those that have a Job can also attend. And then will see how it all fits. Those that are interested in coming over, speak up. Phil, what time frame are you thinking?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
OK, No problem. I think we need to work around Phil's work schedule. Maybe a Sat would be best so those that have a Job can also attend. And then will see how it all fits. Those that are interested in coming over, speak up. Phil, what time frame are you thinking?
Forgot to mention, If anybody needs to stay over night, that can be arranged also.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chuck, in March a Friday or a Saturday would probably would work. If I get my bike next week, I don't have any time in February.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
gaiters. look. AWESOME! Thanks bicyclist! I ordered them (A9638018) for $50 delivered on ebay from triumphofseattle.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Do they come with hose clamps etc to hold them in place/ I am thinking that might be a good idea for me to order as well. I would love to make chucks work party, but this is not the time of year for me to be heading 1/3 of the way accross the country. BUT if the date is close to CO rally time, maybe:)

Eldon

gaiters. look. AWESOME! Thanks bicyclist! I ordered them (A9638018) for $50 delivered on ebay from triumphofseattle.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm hoping it'll be in March, Eldon. Too bad, so sad..

BTW, I emailed your guy and will watch for him on the Forum.

bicyclist

Do they come with hose clamps etc to hold them in place
They don't come with hose clamps. I use a plastic wire tie. Have them on all my motorcycles.

That bikes don't come with them is another example of manufacturers eliminating things that have worked for years in the name of style to the detriment of function.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Chuck, whatever Phil's schedule dictates, I most likely can make it work. Hey Phil, please pick a day when it is at least possible to ride to Chucks place. I can trailor, but riding would be better! (Hope my dirt driveway & 0.7 mile dirt road will have a clear path to the pavement!)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ken, how much snow do you have on your drive right now? We got flurries yesterday that actually made puddles when they melted.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Nope. It was scheduled to get the water pump and muffler repair today, but the mechanic who works on it called in sick with the flu. Don't know when he'll get back. If we get the 8" of snow they're predicting for tomorrow night, it won't make much difference. Maybe I can pick it up Saturday.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The bike's ready. I asked how much money to bring and was told $89.15. That's for diagnosing the problem with the Denalis and (maybe) the relay that was bad. They haven't done the forks (which is good) and will wait till I remember to take my tapered headset bearings in after they get the bushings.

The extended warranty paid for the water pump, the pannier latch repair, and the cracked muffler. I think it paid for itself. :)

Hopefully my street will will melt enough tomorrow to get the bike down it. If not, I may just park it in the garage at the church until it does.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The bike's ready. I asked how much money to bring and was told $89.15. That's for diagnosing the problem with the Denalis and (maybe) the relay that was bad. They haven't done the forks (which is good) and will wait till I remember to take my tapered headset bearings in after they get the bushings.

The extended warranty paid for the water pump, the pannier latch repair, and the cracked muffler. I think it paid for itself. :)

Hopefully my street will will melt enough tomorrow to get the bike down it. If not, I may just park it in the garage at the church until it does.
Is it also paying for the fork rebuild?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Is it also paying for the fork rebuild?
Yes! I was kind of surprised about that. It didn't pay for it when I blew a fork seal on the left fork at 20,000 miles. But this time they're not only paying for the fork that had the blown seal, but they're also paying for the other fork.

I'm not proud. I'll take it.

Top Bottom