Interesting option for the '19 Goldwing

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Maybe you've all seen this, but I hadn't. The new 'Wing is truly made for those of us who have (or will soon) reach our Goldwing years.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I got to ride the prototype over 4 years ago out in the Mojave desert. I was impressed with the DCT that they had developed at that time on such a big bike.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I think I rather have a beer tap. No need to stop for a 6 pack to share, just pour a nice 420 Pale Ale, and enjoy the sun set before you head to the motel room or crawl into your tent.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think I rather have a beer tap. No need to stop for a 6 pack to share, just pour a nice 420 Pale Ale, and enjoy the sun set before you head to the motel room or crawl into your tent.
Well then, instead of ordering the Barista option, you order the Brewski option. If you really want to go first class, you can opt to spend the extra bucks on the frozen stein option. A hot pocket and a iced stein of beer... it don't get any better than that!.... unless of course you opt for the stogie package which gives you your favorite cigar punched and lit. The Honda folks think of everything!

;)

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I'd prefer the beer and pizza oven option. But if I had one I'd soon weigh 300 pounds and never ride anywhere. Probably have a lot more friends though. I have put foil wrapped sandwiches on the valve cover of my motorcycle and it warms them up nicely. But it doesn't work well in a hard crosswind - don't ask!

With the possible exception of a power adjustable windscreen, I really don't want any more gadgets than I already have on my motorcycle. I never use 3/4 of whatever shows up on my dash screen now. It is 3 years old and I still don't understand them all. Could all the electronics on new motorcycles be signaling that the end of my motorcycling is near????

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Junglejim wrote: Could all the electronics on new motorcycles be signaling that the end of my motorcycling is near????

Nah -- just that you'll be like me with computers and "smart" phones...you'll understand less and less until the day comes when you don't understand anything at all.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
As long as wishing for Farkles for the motorcycle, I want a Flux Capacitor so I can power any enhancement. Being able to add the motorcycle to be able to 'ride' itself when I too old to see and hold up when stopped would be a fantastic addition. With that power you could add a defibrillator, or any other medical device.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Junglejim wrote: Could all the electronics on new motorcycles be signaling that the end of my motorcycling is near????

Nah -- just that you'll be like me with computers and "smart" phones...you'll understand less and less until the day comes when you don't understand anything at all.
I don't know Phil. I couldn't get my sister-in-law's Spyder started today. You have to disengage the "electronic park" before doing something I did with the key - errr - or - something like that.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The new 'Wing is truly made for those of us who have (or will soon) reach our Goldwing years.
I bought my first Goldwing a 1975 GL1000 when I was 18 years old. You heard that right, 18 years old. I then had a 1978 GL1000 for several years and then upgraded to a GL1100 Aspencade. In 2001 I sold that Goldwing and have not gone back to one due to lack of interest and my wife can no longer ride with me due to her back problems.

My Goldwing years are behind me now, kind of the opposite of the normal motorcycle evolution. By the time I am ready to return to a Goldwing, it might a hybrid or fully electric by then.

As previously mentioned before, I got to ride the prototype for the latest generation of the Goldwing with the DCT. I like it as I already own a DCT bike. I am sure that this version is a lot smoother and refined than the bike that I rode over 4 years ago.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Jungle Jim - one could say the same thing about electronics available in modern cars - way too much and mostly impractical!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Jungle Jim - one could say the same thing about electronics available in modern cars - way too much and mostly impractical!
I couldn't agree more.
Impractical and often non-funtional
My truck now keeps displaying the "climate control" screen. But my truck doesn't have automatic climate control so the screen doesn't do anything and sometimes won't go away. Ford said "unhook the battery and reconnect it". I told them "I'll unhook the battery and you come and get it and fix it". I don't think the service manager likes me. Customer service at it's best. They did however, offer to have me come in and buy a new truck.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The biggest single customer complaint about modern cars/trucks has to do with the on-dash display. I remember reading about an Audi that required the owner to go through 4 different screens before he could adjust the speed of the heater fan motor!

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
My answer to that type of problem is "Don't buy the vehicle".
If the model does not sell it will quickly go out of production or be changed in Series 2.
Too many buyers accepting things that they don't want, just encourages the manufacturers to add more "fruit".

Macka

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My wife's new Honda CRV is like that. Its like being in the cockpit of an airplane. No wonder drives are distracted. More beeps and lights flashing than you can imagine. Each meaning something different. When I first drove it the steering wheel started to vibrate. I thought something was wrong and she explained it was warning me a was getting to close to the edge of my lane. Lots of safety avoidance things in that car. It can almost drive itself.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My wife's new Honda CRV is like that. Its like being in the cockpit of an airplane. No wonder drives are distracted. More beeps and lights flashing than you can imagine. Each meaning something different. When I first drove it the steering wheel started to vibrate. I thought something was wrong and she explained it was warning me a was getting to close to the edge of my lane. Lots of safety avoidance things in that car. It can almost drive itself.
My wife also has a CRV and I hate driving it. That "Land Keeping Assist" that shakes the steering wheel gets all confused in the winter when there are strips of tire-packed snow on the pavement and it thinks they are lane marking lines. I have to pull over to adjust the heater because the screen is so complicated. And I don't even attempt the radio. I just pretend I'm on my motorcycle and listen to the road noise.

Bike
2010 NT700V
My wife's new Honda CRV is like that. Its like being in the cockpit of an airplane. No wonder drives are distracted.
Driver's aren't distracted by dash amenities, that's simply cell phones to blame. Honda locks out the more in depth setting changes on the infotainment when the vehicle is motion.

Top Bottom