Is heat coming off the bike a thing like on the STs?

Syb

I’m interested in the NT but possibly an ST. Granted, the ST has more horsepower and weight however, at lower speeds there are more considerations one has to take into account when piloting that weight. That’s where the NT comes into play and seems to be a winner at least in my book. I do hear about the ST giving off a lot of heat. Is that true with the NT as well?

I don't think the NT generates as much heat as many other bikes. Does not seem objectionable to me.
Of course the bigger and more powerful the engine is the more waste heat there will be to get rid of.

Brad

SYB,

I am a former 8-year owner of an ST1300. It was quite a heavy bike in an urban environment and the maneuverability is not that great to write home about. It threw off a lot of heat during the Summer months and it made me very uncomfortable in LA traffic due to its weight and the heat it had generated. I began to refer to it as the ST-PIG if that tells you anything.

The ST1300 has very expensive repair bills.

1. The water pump went out on me at about 56k. The repair bill was about $1,300 to replace that. The water pump is series of individual components that were pressed into the engine front case housing.
  2. The alternator went out on me at 65k. That was another $1,300 repair bill. My local dealer was servicing the local PD ST1300s. The Part Guy told that the alternators go out every 60k. Will, I got 5k more than what he said.
  3. At 69k the fuel pump went out on me. I did want an $800-1000 repair bill, so I did repairs myself. I still spent about $600 on the needs parts to replace the fuel pump.
The ST1300 is actually #5 on my worst bikes I ever owned. - What Was The Worst Motorcycle You Ever Owned?

The NT700V does not have the same issues that I found in all those years of owning my ST1300. Quite honestly, I have not found any in the 3 years of ownership.

The NT has about 55 HP or so. It is more than plenty for this bike. I find that the powerband on its V-Twin comes in at about 4,800 RPM. I highly enjoy riding this bike every time I ride it and it always brings a huge smile to my face, similar to your avatar. Prior to the Pamendic, I was commuting to work on this bike 60 miles roundtrip 4 days a week. Then I would rotate in one of my other bikes.

I would highly recommend the NT700V to anyone. It is often an overlooked bike and undervalued by many riders because it does not exceed 80 HP. Unfortunately, the US market considered it to be a "Flop" and it was only sold in 2010 and 2011. Therefore they are not sold in great numbers are not as common as an F6 or CBR600.

If your goal is to own a Heavy Hot PIG, then you should go for the ST1300.

Last edited:
FYI, back in September of last year (2020), I had an accident on NT7000V making a left turn exiting the freeway. There was a diesel spill through the entire intersection. half through the inspection and I was sliding down the road literally on the seat of my pants.

When my insurance adjuster evaluated all the pictures of the bike's damages. He added up his estimates and the amount was enough for him to total the bike. I had it out with him and gave him a detailed list of the damaged parts and what needed to be replaced. His list did not line up with mine. He offered me the Salvage Rights to the bike for $1,000 less than their payout amount, so I took it. I restored the bike myself.

Here's a video montage that I put together to share with all the members on this forum interested in my Rehab.

SYB,

I am a former 8-year owner of an ST1300. It was quite a heavy bike in an urban environment and the maneuverability is not that great to write home about. It threw off a lot of heat during the Summer months and it made me very uncomfortable in LA traffic due to its weight and the heat it had generated. I began to refer to it as the ST-PIG if that tells you anything.

The ST1300 has very expensive repair bills.

1. The water pump went out on me at about 56k. The repair bill was about $1,300 to replace that. The water pump is series of individual components that were pressed into the engine front case housing.
  2. The alternator went out on me at 65k. That was another $1,300 repair bill. My local dealer was servicing the local PD ST1300s. The Part Guy told that the alternators go out every 60k. Will, I got 5k more than what he said.
  3. At 69k the fuel pump went out on me. I did want an $800-1000 repair bill, so I did repairs myself. I still spent about $600 on the needs parts to replace the fuel pump.
The ST1300 is actually #5 on my worst bikes I ever owned. - What Was The Worst Motorcycle You Ever Owned?

The NT700V does not have the same issues that I found in all those years of owning my ST1300. Quite honestly, I have not found any in the 3 years of ownership.

The NT has about 55 HP or so. It is more than plenty for this bike. I find that the powerband on its V-Twin comes in at about 4,800 RPM. I highly enjoy riding this bike every time I ride it and it always brings a huge smile to my face, similar to your avatar. Prior to the Pamendic, I was commuting to work on this bike 60 miles roundtrip 4 days a week. Then I would rotate in one of my other bikes.

I would highly recommend the NT700V to anyone. It is often an overlooked bike and undervalued by many riders because it does not exceed 80 HP. Unfortunately, the US market considered it to be a "Flop" and it was only sold in 2010 and 2011. Therefore they are not sold in great numbers are not as common as an F6 or CBR600.

In '03, I rode my C10 Concours to Missoula to attend the finish of the Iron Butt Rally. I can't remember the rider's name, but I talked with a guy who had ridden the Rally and finished on an ST1300. The 1300 had been introduced in the spring and nobody had a lot experience on one. Even then, they had a reputation for being hot. This guy was from Dallas and knew he'd ride in a lot of hot weather. So he made a unique deal. He bought the bike, but he got the dealer to agree to buy it back after the Iron Butt Rally -- he rode1700 miles to Missoula, the 11 days, and probably 12,000 miles of the Rally, and then 1700 back to Dallas for at least 15,000 on the odometer. Even knowing what the rider had planned, the dealer promised to buy the bike back for $2,000 les than the guy had paid if he didn't crash. At least by the time he got to Missoula, he hadn't dinged the bike. He had definitely made up his mind that it was too hot to keep.

In '03, I rode my C10 Concours to Missoula to attend the finish of the Iron Butt Rally. I can't remember the rider's name, but I talked with a guy who had ridden the Rally and finished on an ST1300. The 1300 had been introduced in the spring and nobody had a lot experience on one. Even then, they had a reputation for being hot. This guy was from Dallas and knew he'd ride in a lot of hot weather. So he made a unique deal. He bought the bike, but he got the dealer to agree to buy it back after the Iron Butt Rally -- he rode1700 miles to Missoula, the 11 days, and probably 12,000 miles of the Rally, and then 1700 back to Dallas for at least 15,000 on the odometer. Even knowing what the rider had planned, the dealer promised to buy the bike back for $2,000 les than the guy had paid if he didn't crash. At least by the time he got to Missoula, he hadn't dinged the bike. He had definitely made up his mind that it was too hot to keep.

Phil,

I bought the ST1300 with the hopes to ride it cross country. Having 2 young children at the time kind of made up the decision that was not going to be happening anytime soon.

I was forced into only going on local club rides and commuting to work 26 miles round trip for several years. This bike was the most expensive to own in regards to repair bills. Also this bike was not intended to be ridden on short runs like the way I was using it for. The insurance premiums were also double for a bike less than 1,000cc.

For me these were the key reasons for me to dump this bike.

1. Weight over 700lbs. Not fun in LA Trafiic.
  2. Not using at it was intended for. Ridden only 26 miles daily typically.
  3. Heat it generated.
  4. Expensive repair bills. Spent over $3,200 in a matter of months consecutively.
  5. High Insurance premiums.

FYI, back in September of last year (2020), I had an accident on NT7000V making a left turn exiting the freeway. There was a diesel spill through the entire intersection. half through the inspection and I was sliding down the road literally on the seat of my pants.

When my insurance adjuster evaluated all the pictures of the bike's damages. He added up his estimates and the amount was enough for him to total the bike. I had it out with him and gave him a detailed list of the damaged parts and what needed to be replaced. His list did not line up with mine. He offered me the Salvage Rights to the bike for $1,000 less than their payout amount, so I took it. I restored the bike myself.

Here's a video montage that I put together to share with all the members on this forum interested in my Rehab.

Really nice transformation. Had t seen the wrap around crash bars, those would be an addition I would plan on getting. Also, I see low running lights affixed to the crash bar, real low. Or at least I think I see running lights. What are those? I know any additional ways we can be seen is a plus but wondering about how well they can be seen.

I have many goals in life and this is not one of them.
At around the same weight as the NT )give or take, I’m a buck 70, wet holding 15 pounds) I like manageability of my V Strom. Any more weight, especially around town, doesn’t pique my interest.

There is one caveat regarding heat coming off the NT. There is no heat issue as long as the bike is put together properly. There is a rubber piece, (call it a gasket, flap, dampener or whatever) that is connected to the lower rear of the gas tank. If it is missing or not hooked on properly, you will feel the heat, oh yes, you will feel the heat, in a part of your anatomy which will quickly let you know there is a problem. Lol

There is a rubber piece, (call it a gasket, flap, dampener or whatever) that is connected to the lower rear of the gas tank.
Noted that P/N 19140MEWD20, Rubber, Fuel Tank missing on my GF's NT when inspecting/picking it up from the dealer January '20... obviously the PO dumped it or so...

Also, I see low running lights affixed to the crash bar, real low. Or at least I think I see running lights. What are those? I know any additional ways we can be seen is a plus but wondering about how well they can be seen.

I had driving lights on Dudley (NT#1) that were fork mounted. I lived in a small town where an awful lot of people knew me since I was the United Methodist minister. I did a lot of funerals for people who weren't church members and was called "the motorcycle preacher." When I put my driving lights on, I started hearing how my bike stood out in traffic because of the triangle that fork mounted lights made with the headlight. I'm in the process of mounting Clearwater Darlas onto Horse (NT#2). They're fork mounted too. I've ridden in front of people who have driving lights mounted near the headlight and don't think they add as much to the "being seen" part of the equation.

Reactions: Syb
I've been wanting to put some driving lights on Traveller for the last seven years or so. One day I'll get around to it. Probably when I work up the ambition to install the combination lock pannier latches.

Mike

Really nice transformation. Had t seen the wrap around crash bars, those would be an addition I would plan on getting. Also, I see low running lights affixed to the crash bar, real low. Or at least I think I see running lights. What are those? I know any additional ways we can be seen is a plus but wondering about how well they can be seen.

FYI, the Hepco & Becker crash bars are going to cost you about $400 or slightly more. I found the best price on eBay. These are shipped from overseas. Do not expect to receive them before a months time.

Those are in fact LED Running lights mounted on the Hepco bars. I wanted the lights to stay mounted to the bike permanently when the top section is removed to do perform service on the bike. Thus that was the most optimal location to mount them using the mounts that I modified.

E41A8E5B-5A9A-4C9E-8334-A613BDF205EB.jpeg

34E638F2-E6AE-4270-9391-DAA8005843DD.jpeg

You might be interested scanning through my Rehab Thread here for additional information, Brillot2000 - NaTalie’s Rehad Has Began

Last edited:
welcome SYB! if you wanted to see an NT in person or ride it , or talk more about it, i'm just north of you, about 35 miles, depending exactly where you are located

welcome SYB! if you wanted to see an NT in person or ride it , or talk more about it, i'm just north of you, about 35 miles, depending exactly where you are located
Thanks @Woodaddict, very kind of you. I may take you up on that offer. I'm in Huntersville so probably not that far since I remember passing Salisbury heading out 85. And you're more than welcome to ride the V Strom.

The NT has less heat as it's half the power of a ST. Back roads and around town are the NT's sweet spot. Anything 65mph and under. The NT is very high strung at interstate speeds that the ST would just shrug at. I know most owners here aren't running at 6K in fifth for hours, but that's something I ask of the NT often. Downshifting at 90 in 4th to maintain momentum on an uphill grade into a headwind is a thing when heading west. It can do it, but I feel kind of like I'm pushing the limits of a dehydrated horse if that makes any sense.

The NT has less heat as it's half the power of a ST. Back roads and around town are the NT's sweet spot. Anything 65mph and under. The NT is very high strung at interstate speeds that the ST would just shrug at. I know most owners here aren't running at 6K in fifth for hours, but that's something I ask of the NT often. Downshifting at 90 in 4th to maintain momentum on an uphill grade into a headwind is a thing when heading west. It can do it, but I feel kind of like I'm pushing the limits of a dehydrated horse if that makes any sense.
So I need to own both the NT AND the ST. Got it. :)

The ST is also very heavy to push around in tight areas. If a person is doing a lot of long distance touring, 2 up, it makes sense. I had an 1100 for years and thought it was a marvelous bike. But I only used it for touring. Another consideration, is parts availability for older bikes like the ST1100.
I have not done a major trip on my NT, but 300 mile day rides are pleasant affairs. The engine does get a bit buzzy at speeds above 70mph. OTOH, my NC700 will cruise at 80 all day and is smooth that speed....turning just above 4000rpm.
A guy needs 2 or 3 bikes. :)

Back
Top Bottom