Is heat coming off the bike a thing like on the STs?

Syb, I wouldn't supplement the NT with an ST. I rode a pair of C10 Kawasaki Concours 165,000 miles. and I've ridden a couple of '10 NTs 143,000 miles. The Connie was very comparable to the ST (admittedly not quite as smooth). Just paying the extra insurance to own two bikes would have outspent the increase in value for me. I've done a lot of miles at speeds of 85 or more. I don't find the NT any more stressed at those speeds than my '99 C10 Connies were. It's closer to being topped out by about 20mph, but I used to play with model airplane engines that revved 20K rpm. The NT's piston speeds are still reasonable at up to 8.5K rpm.

I will say that when you're riding into a 45-50mph headwind, you'll be doing good to hold 75mph...and you'll burn a lot more gas!!

So I need to own both the NT AND the ST. Got it. :)

Just be aware that the ST is going to cost you the most in the repair bills and on maintenance. I spent $3,200 in a few months time approaching 60k and shortly afterward. Also, the insurance premiums will be double of that the NT.

In the entire 3 years that I owned my NT, I only spent $600 on getting the crankshaft positioning sensor and a valve check done at the same time.

I bought my NT for $3,200, the same that I spent to repair my ST. Just to give you some perspective. I am just saying...
:shrug2:

Reactions: Syb
Syb, I wouldn't supplement the NT with an ST. I rode a pair of C10 Kawasaki Concours 165,000 miles. and I've ridden a couple of '10 NTs 143,000 miles. The Connie was very comparable to the ST (admittedly not quite as smooth). Just paying the extra insurance to own two bikes would have outspent the increase in value for me. I've done a lot of miles at speeds of 85 or more. I don't find the NT any more stressed at those speeds than my '99 C10 Connies were. It's closer to being topped out by about 20mph, but I used to play with model airplane engines that revved 20K rpm. The NT's piston speeds are still reasonable at up to 8.5K rpm.

I will say that when you're riding into a 45-50mph headwind, you'll be doing good to hold 75mph...and you'll burn a lot more gas!!
Good info, thanks Phil.
Just be aware that the ST is going to cost you the most in the repair bills and on maintenance. I spent $3,200 in a few months time approaching 60k and shortly afterward. Also, the insurance premiums will be double of that the NT.

In the entire 3 years that I owned my NT, I only spent $600 on getting the crankshaft positioning sensor and a valve check done at the same time.

I bought my NT for $3,200, the same that I spent to repair my ST. Just to give you some perspective. I am just saying...
:shrug2:
Good info. Thank$ @Brillot2000!

Thanks @Woodaddict, very kind of you. I may take you up on that offer. I'm in Huntersville so probably not that far since I remember passing Salisbury heading out 85. And you're more than welcome to ride the V Strom.
OK, SO YOUR MORE WEST THAN SOUTH. to Mooresville, east on Hwy 150, will get close to me, just before Salisbury city limits, I'm about 3 miles from 150. you could be as close as 25-30 miles

I agree! I'm thinking like an NT for around town and an ST for long-haul.

Despite the lack of power, the NT is most definitely suited for the long haul. I bet a NT could even be ridden coast to coast without sleep if an owner was so inclined......šŸ˜

Despite the lack of power, the NT is most definitely suited for the long haul. I bet a NT could even be ridden coast to coast without sleep if an owner was so inclined......šŸ˜
If I do get the opportunity to meet up with @Woodaddict, I'll be mindful of NOT taking it coast to coast. But in the area where he is, I believe I could get a good feel for the bike and it's performance.

Honestly. I don't think anyone needs an ST for anything, unless he's a motorcycle cop (the PD here used STs for many years; in fact mine was the demonstrator the Honda dealership had loaned them). I found it miserable in traffic, cumbersome in highway traffic at less than open-road speeds.

There may be some better, lighter highway bikes out there; but few of them will give you this kind of weather protection. I had (before the little Versys) a Versys 650; and that would just eat up the miles (with a lot of wind on the rider). But fuel use was appalling - about 40 mpg. I get 59 on the NT.

My own advice would be, if you can find an NT, live with it, and see where it fits. It may be the only one you need; or you may want a smaller or lighter commuting bike as well.
I'm not a cop however, the STs made for police do have a great look in my opinion.
I do not get that kind of mpg out of my V Strom.
Well, in reading your last remark, I did a quick search. Not sure if links are allowed but I see a red (burgundy?) 2010 with 27K for $3,500. Bike is just outside Washington DC. It appears to have had a first owner and now this current one who has owned it for 10 years. I'm going to need to test ride one soon because that seems like a very attractive bike.

I got my 2004 ST1300 in 2007 it was only 3 years old when I got it and it still had 2 years left on the Honda Protection Plan from the original owner. I had to take this bike to the dealer every couple of months for several different issues. The MAP Sensor went out and the motorized headlight adjuster would go berserk when I turned on the ignition switch just to name a couple of issues that I experienced with this bike. It took more than 3 trips to the dealer for the headlight issue alone. Years and miles later all the repair woes started and it began to make my wallet hemorrhage hundred dollar bills at a frightening rate.

I began to experience the issue shown in the proceeding video below. The dealer could not tell me the cause of the issue and it was not throwing any codes to the ECU.

This issue was intermittent and would not present itself on a regular basis. At 69k, the fuel pump went out and I got a ride home on an AAA flatbed.

My local dealer serviced the PD bikes and they constantly told me about all the issues this bike had. The original owner did Private Police Escots using this bike. The dealer told me that they replaced the clutch on this bike and regularly on the PD bikes. I did not heed their warns and kept the bike for 8 years.

I would recommend that everyone should steer clear of the ST1300.

I was looking at the NT700V back in 2010 when it came out here in the US. I first saw it as a Mini-ST. I figured I did not need it as I had the ST at the time.

Looking back at this moment. I should've traded in the ST for the NT at that time and never looked back.

I'm not a cop however, the STs made for police do have a great look in my opinion.
I do not get that kind of mpg out of my V Strom.
Well, in reading your last remark, I did a quick search. Not sure if links are allowed but I see a red (burgundy?) 2010 with 27K for $3,500. Bike is just outside Washington DC. It appears to have had a first owner and now this current one who has owned it for 10 years. I'm going to need to test ride one soon because that seems like a very attractive bike.

I faced the same dilemma when I bought my NT. There was a mint Burgundy ST1300 with low miles for $1000 less than the NT.....and also a mint low mileage PC800. The ST seemed like a lot more bike for the money, but I visualized pushing it around the garage and dealing with it's bulk and mass out in traffic. The PC800 is an older bike and hard to find parts, plus it is a bit laid back for my taste. What size VStrom do you have/had?

I sure wish I knew what Dudley sold for. I also wish I knew who bought Dudley. I've got a box with nearly a complete Rostra cruise control which might help Dudley's new owner get the cruise control working again.

I sure wish I knew what Dudley sold for. I also wish I knew who bought Dudley. I've got a box with nearly a complete Rostra cruise control which might help Dudley's new owner get the cruise control working again.
$100 Reward for information leading to the whereabouts of "Dudley". :)

There are a lot of people out there these days with limited funds. They have to settle for stuff that needs some TLC. Someone may have picked that up for $2500. Well used, but I am sure it has lot's of fun miles left in it.

I would recommend that everyone should steer clear of the ST1300.
I typically examine feedback and do a little more digging to see what's what. In that research, I'm amazed at the surging the ST has. As my father-in-law says, 'with enough time and money, you can fix anything.' I certainly value both of those and would rather spend my time on the road, not in the shop. Thanks for posting this and giving further nutritious food for thought. If things come to fruition, I'm doubtful I'll keep the NT and the V Strom since my off-roading experience is completely unintentional.

I typically examine feedback and do a little more digging to see what's what. In that research, I'm amazed at the surging the ST has. As my father-in-law says, 'with enough time and money, you can fix anything.' I certainly value both of those and would rather spend my time on the road, not in the shop. Thanks for posting this and giving further nutritious food for thought. If things come to fruition, I'm doubtful I'll keep the NT and the V Strom since my off-roading experience is completely unintentional.

A good bike that doesnā€™t require a lot of maintenance and has low repair bills is hard to find. The NT meets both those requirements. This bike is easy to work on once you get all the bodywork off.

The only downside of the NT is that you have to take off most the bodywork before you get started with doing any work on it. I have gotten really good at pulling off all the bodywork. It takes me about 10-20 minutes to get all the major bodywork out of the way to begin any meaningful work. You just have to plan for it as part of your scheduled work.

It's for the same sort of rider; and of course it's got the same styling.

But in design, under the tupperware, it's entirely different. A transverse engine mount as opposed to a longitudinal mount. So items like the alternator, clutch pack, service points are in more-conventional location. There's a bevel gear set behind the transmission assembly to send the power to the shaft.

More like the shaft-drive Nighthawks back in the day, than the ST. If the ST has a predecessor, it would have been the GL500/650, which used the CX engine, but with a longer frame and Vetter-styled body cladding.

The NT/Deauville has as a predecessor, the Pacific Coast. Same layout, although somewhat different styling. And the NT came to the states right after Honda finally gave up with the Pacific Coast...a drawn-out experiment where it never sold, even though they tried for almost ten years.

Honda stopped making the Pacific Coast in 1998 and the NT was offered in the US in 2010. The predecessor to the NT Deauville was the Honda Revere. The Revere had the same engine, frame and drive train. Honda added the plastic cladding and turned the Revere into a mid size sporty touring motorcycle for the European market.

I had a GL650i Silverwing. I can tell you the only thing that might someone think the NT was a descendant of that bike would be the fact that they both were shaft-drive bikes with fairings and luggage with about the same displacement. Conceptually the GL650 was a lighter Goldwing. The fairing, instruments, and even the front fender were identical to the '83 Goldwing.

The NT and the ST1300 have some styling similarity, but not as much as the '83 Gold and Silverwings did. The only similarity between the PC and the NT is that they both V-twins and shaft drives.

Back
Top Bottom