Is It Happening Again?

tawilke46

If you are one who lets the dealer do all the work then this kind of stuff is going to happen, no matter who you take it to.
+1 Absolutely, same applies to car dealers. Luck of the draw as to whether you get a good mechanic or not. Took my Honda CRV in to have a new electrical harness installed. When finished they did not clean the engine bay of corrosion from the old connection to the battery terminal, like I told them too. Plus they left off a connector to the chin faring front right side. Like has been mentioned lack of attention to detail. Best to do the work yourself if you can and have the mechanical talent, and a service manual.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Chuck, you have more stuff than I do :D :D

I do have an air compressor. But no lift. It would be nice, but, no space for it. I do have a cheap air compressor I got at HF for less than $100. It has only been working for 12 years now.

My tire changer is three tire spoons, 2ea 2x4's, a c clamp and a ratcheting strap. Phil's knees probably could not take that kind of treatment :D
I've thought about getting one from HF, but, since my way works and only takes a few minutes longer.....probably wait til my knees give out :)

Most of the rest of my tools fit in a 12"x10"x3" box that I carry on the bike. (I have changed a few items since the pic was taken).

20131103_103542.jpg

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Charlie B, Just proves my point. It is not that expensive to get the STuff for working on ones own bike. When I was in Texas I would park my Jeep over top of the lift when not needed. If you have a garage bay dedicated for the motorcycle then you can park the bike on the lift. That is what I have to do now as the wife gets the other garage bay for parking her car at night. I get it when she is at work during the day.:smile:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck, I was at Harbor Freight the other day and looked hard at a lift. I've got the tools and the manual. Would need a compressor and a heater. I'm thinking about it.

To be honest, I also like the opportunity you've given me to have someone with experience walk me through some of this stuff. I'm hoping you'll teach me how to adjust valves when it gets a little warmer.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuck, I was at Harbor Freight the other day and looked hard at a lift. I've got the tools and the manual. Would need a compressor and a heater. I'm thinking about it.

To be honest, I also like the opportunity you've given me to have someone with experience walk me through some of this stuff. I'm hoping you'll teach me how to adjust valves when it gets a little warmer.
Of course I will. Best to do it at your place so the bike is cold. Better get hopping. getting your garage shop together. This way, what ever maint./repairs you are doing, you will not be rushed. Also good lighting is a big Plus. Especially for our old eyes.:wink:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
LOL, yeah lights are good. I end up using my headlamp a lot.

And that lift and tire changer from HF are like gold if you have room in a shop. I'd love if I could get my bike up off the ground when working on it.

When doing things the first couple of times take it slow and easy. Chuck probably will do this anyway, but, I like to keep a piece of cardboard around. As I take a bolt off I stick it through and then label it (or the group) with where it/they came from. If it is a nut/washer or gasket I will get a short piece of bailing wire to hold it to the cardboard the same way. [for some short jobs, like removing a wheel I just put the nuts and bolts back where they came from].

And mounting new tires is really simple. The tire changer makes it even easier. Breaking the bead and seating the tire are really the only hard parts After you do it a few times you'll wonder why you ever paid someone else to do it.

Air compressor. Once you have one you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. I have the pancake version and it works for everything I have, including an air wrench and various nailing tools. For that matter, get an 18 ga nailer while at HF. They're only about $20 and I use that thing all the time too. Ah, the never ending cycle of tool purchasing :D

The wife even uses it. I have a little portable 5gal tank that I will charge up with the larger compressor. She uses it with a blow gun attachment to 'dust' around the house :) She also has her own air stapler for various craft projects she does.

Welcome to the club!!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
HEH HEH donnt for get the 3/8 air impact butterfly and the 1/2 in impact as well and a water trap filter to keep your air clean, oh yeah don't forget the paint gun to keep the panier lids looking extra good as well as a food sander of the orbiting type and a batch of buffing pads and various attaTCHMENTS TO USE FOR POLISHING THE EXHAUST PIPES AND WHEELS, AND I A, SURE WE WILL THINK OF A FEW OTHER HELPFUL ITEMS THAT YOU WONT BE ABLE TO LIVE WITH OUT:smile:

Eldon

Lighting, there are some real nice and very bright LED lights available at Home depote that can make it like a nice bright sunni day, Oh yea some insulation for the walls and celing and sheet rock , and then the window or wall AC unit for summer days, and a good 11o wire feeed welder , and a acetiline torch with cutting attachment and of course one of the new welding hoods with the auto diming shield.:doh1:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Gee, thanks, Eldon! (And all you guys who are so willing to help me spend money!)

Bike
Phil,

we don't want you to 1/2 step and put togather a ill equipped shop , we want you to be able to say " IF it breaks while you are in my area I have the fix for most anything you can imagine and enough parts in stock to eliminate having to go to the friendly Honda shop! so you need to stock pile a set of PR-4's, a couple of oil filters, a case of engine oil, a set of sparkplugs , valve cover gaskets, brake and throttle , and clutch cable and clutch and brake levers comlete set of replacement light bulbs, a tube of Moly 60and a spar windshieldand perhaps a set of brake pads and a couple quarts of Honda coolant , not to mention a couple of cans of sealed brake fluit, and a container of final drive oil,

Oh yes a large container of the Orange grit hand cleaner and a nice assortment of clean hand towels, and please remember to have a good working refridgetratoer well stocked d with cold drinks:rofl1:

Eldon

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks for the useful advice, Eldon. I've laminated your instructions and will study them every night before I go to bed.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Good one Wayne!

OK Phil, so you've had enough time, where are pics of all the new tools!

Bike
Nice tools Wayne, BUT unless I missed them there were not any Metrics in the tool list so Phil will need to be sure and get a full set of Metrics as well. We wouldn't want him to get started doing something and have to run to Sears, of course he could spluge a little bit and call his friendly Snap-on dealer and have his tools brought to him and get regular follow up visits just in case he decides that he really needs something else.

SEE Phil, y ou are really in good hands with friends who will be glad to help you moniter your funds and not forget anything that y ou just might need to keep old Dudley happy and well maintainedfor the next hundred of so thousand miles!

Eldon

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Eldon, you really missed it...:wink: That set has a ton of metric, click on the "Content Listing" for a full view. Now if you want to be a bit more cost conscious you can get This Set. I bought it awhile back to complete my metric tools. I caught it on sale and it was a lot cheaper than buying several smaller metric add-on sets one at a time. But the real goal here is to get Phil to spend his money! :rofl1:

Phil,

Look for a Sears Surplus Center in your area. Some people will buy a set of tools, use it to fix whatever, and then return it. :rolleyes1: Sears then sells it heavily discounted since it is "used". I have bought a lot of hand tools for 50% off at my local center. The regular Lifetime Craftsman Warranty still applies so any broken items can be exchanged at your local Sears... Just be careful when purchasing any of the "No Name" or Evolve branded Sears tools as they are not covered by the Craftsman warranty...

Top Bottom