Is this a good idea for highway pegs?

loonytuna

I have been struggling with highway pegs, I just can't pay 350.00 for pegs. I think this will not be strong enough, but the placement is good for me, and I think with some group effort we may be able to come up with a stronger version. I'd like your thoughts.

I have included pictures and also pictures of the components.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Those would be strong enough as long as you don't try to stand on them. Remember, all they are meant to do is be footrests.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree with Charlie. Just try 'um and if they bend, they bend. If they don't bend, then you're OK. It's not part of the Space Shuttle!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I went out and looked at my NT so I could see what the space was like.

Your design looks alot like the old bolt on highway pegs you would see on all kinds of bikes.

1. With the tube you mounted to being square, it will have less of a tendency to rotate away from you. You only have to worry about the actual bar being strong enough not to bend.
2. If you need to, you could go all the way across with one solid bar. You just have to fit it behind the hoses.

Like dirtflier and charlie b said, if they bend they bend. You don't need them to hold the bike up if you crash.

OP
OP

loonytuna

I like the idea of one bar, I looked at that option and will look again, it would need fabrication beyond my ability, still like it though. Good eye!

I actually don't mind it bending in a crash (geez, hope i don't have to real world test it!), might even be better to "crumple" to save other parts.

Mattb

The first thing I think of when I look at your solution, Randy, is that it's an impaling waiting to happen. I know that handlebars have been known to puncture bowels in an accident, but considering that they pivot I'd like to think that the odds are better that handlebars would be out of position when my body makes contact with them than the odds that a rigid highway peg would be.

Probably over-concern on my part, but I wanted to opine anyway.

OP
OP

loonytuna

UPDATE - WORK IN PROGRESS

I'm ready to road test this new design.

It's much stronger using square pipe with a U bolt that has 2 nuts instead of the one I had on the previous design.

There is also a U shaped channel inserted all the way in the square pipe for additional strength and to give me a good attachment point for the footpeg itself. I would have preferred square pipe here too, but could not find it quickly enough, and I imagine it would be even harder to get inside the other pipe, as it is I had to pound this in.

If it works out, I will try to make it prettier, but for now I'll be happy with a place to put these old legs from time to time.

As always, comments are appreciated.

Attachments

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
The first thing I think of when I look at your solution, Randy, is that it's an impaling waiting to happen. I know that handlebars have been known to puncture bowels in an accident, but considering that they pivot I'd like to think that the odds are better that handlebars would be out of position when my body makes contact with them than the odds that a rigid highway peg would be.

Probably over-concern on my part, but I wanted to opine anyway.
Now there is a mental picture.
It sounds like some kind of Japanese suicide method.
"This just in. . . a motorcycle rider committed Hari Kari by disemboweling himself with his highway pegs":rofl1:

OK, sorry, I just had to share that.:nuts:

OP
OP

loonytuna

Road test went really well!

All I need now is the time to take a nice long ride!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've never felt the need for highway pegs, but your solution looks good to me if I did need them.

OP
OP

loonytuna

Hi Phil!

I looked at your profile, I was going to say "at my age" but you have a few on me .... so you probably already know this.

Just like long flights where the recommendation is to move your legs, get up and walk, for circulation. I feel the same way on the bike. My legs are in one position for long periods of time and for me, I actually feel the need to stretch them occasionally, but when I think about it, there might be an argument to be made that it is actually healthy to change positions.

When I had the BMW's, I could actually "hang" my legs and rotate them, like an exercise, (gladly) I can't do that on this bike, so now I have a place for my lags to visit on the longer rides.

Just a thought.

Randy

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Randy, one of the advantages of my little short stubby legs is that I can hang them off the pegs and am in no danger whatsoever of having them hit the pavement. I wave 'em around, dangle one or both, lean forward with my legs haning behind the foot pegs, and sometimes I stand up and ride for a few miles (well, usually not that far, but for a ways). Like you, I believ in moving them around, but my understanding of the move your legs to prevent blood clots recommendation is that it's the muscular contraction that pumps the blood back up out of the leg, minimizing the danger of clots.

OP
OP

loonytuna

Randy, one of the advantages of my little short stubby legs is that I can hang them off the pegs and am in no danger whatsoever of having them hit the pavement. I wave 'em around, dangle one or both, lean forward with my legs haning behind the foot pegs, and sometimes I stand up and ride for a few miles (well, usually not that far, but for a ways). Like you, I believ in moving them around, but my understanding of the move your legs to prevent blood clots recommendation is that it's the muscular contraction that pumps the blood back up out of the leg, minimizing the danger of clots.
I think you are right and agree with the movement ...etc, that's how I understand it too. I stretch my legs on the highway pegs and rotate my feet, and stretch them so the muscles (yea right ... what muscles!) exercise themselves.

I loved it when I had the BMW's and could dangle my legs, but I do like being able to reach the ground on this bike, a toss up I guess!

elizilla

A common way of how to identify a long range rider here at us is that you see them (us) using the passenger footpegs while riding! It is a good solution giving a good rest for both the hip and butt as different pressure are applied and in a better more natural angle for the hip. Try it once in a while and I can promise that you will like it.
And the passenger footpegs on the NT are easy to do this with, because they're not very far back or very high.

OP
OP

loonytuna

I've done this many times, on all my bikes, I still like highway pegs, maybe it's because I can "stretch" my old legs.

I agree and think the rear pegs are a great place to move to, I also think that having more options is good too.

And I have another "problem" ..... I ride 2-up a lot (mostly) my wife uses those pegs ............. now what?

OP
OP

loonytuna

Christian -

She read this thread.............. can I come stay with you?!

Randy

OP
OP

loonytuna

Actually, I was hoping to be able to stay in that amazing garage of yours with my new (your) NT .... cause I'm sure I'll lose mine in the divorce! ..... KIDDING OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!

BTW - They speak english there right? Cause at my age I just can't seem to learn ANYTHING!

Top Bottom