Is this a good idea for highway pegs?

OP
OP

loonytuna

Yup me too ........ off the site, Onto the bike .......... with my current wife to get my Sunday fried chicken!

UH-OH, that "current wife" crack is probably the icing on the cake! .........WHOOPS!

have a great day, or night whichever the case may be!

Or -

Japp mig ocks? ........ fr?n platsen, p? cykeln .......... med min nuvarande fru f?r att f? min s?ndag stekt kyckling!

UH-OH, ?r att "nuvarande fru" crack f?rmodligen gr?dde p? moset! ......... Hoppsan!

ha en underbar dag, eller natt beroende p? omst?ndigheterna!

Gotta love Google translate! - Have a great one!

OP
OP

loonytuna

And here I thought they (the scammers) only thought we Americans were dumb enough to fall for it! Nice to know we are in good company!

I especially like when they expect me to believe that I should send them the $5,000.00 or $10,000.00 for a motorcycle that is in a "bonded warehouse and cannot be inspected" because they are away in ... hmmmm.. Africa ... attending their uncle, The King's funeral! But don't worry, it's in a safe place and will be released upon receipt of my funds ........ yeah right! - lol

OP
OP

loonytuna

Improved!

After my son's friend decided (by accident) to back into the bike, knock it over and bend one of the pegs, I was forced to replace it.

When I did, I addressed the strength and looks issues I had with the original design.

This is stronger and cleaner. Once they are painted they will probably even look good!

Your comments as always are appreciated.

Attachments

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That does look better! I would get some snap over plastic caps for the square bar ends to clean it up and get rid of the sharp metal edges....

OP
OP

loonytuna

That does look better! I would get some snap over plastic caps for the square bar ends to clean it up and get rid of the sharp metal edges....
Good observation, it's part of the plan after I paint or powder coat them .... thanks!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
That appears to be aluninum square stock, Rather than spend money on powdercoating , or paint, just get out th polish and a drill motor and start polishing them, a little work(LOL) and they will look like chrome!

Last edited:
OP
OP

loonytuna

That appears to be aluninum square stock, Rather than spend money on powdercoating , or paint, just get out th polish and a drill motor and start polishing them, a little work(LOL) and they will look like chrome!
It's steel. the aluminum ones I made felt to flimsy, these are much better.

Thanks!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
OK,
I guess in that case the good old can of spray stuff would be the cheapest way to fix them.
Eldon

Bike
2011 NT700 ABS (Frodo)
I understand the need to shift leg positions. With a 36" inseam I can't dangle enroute like Phil, and I've been stopped a few times for standing on the pegs dirt bike style when rolling through podunk towns (oddly, only in New Hampshire and Maine so far) which is my usual stretch routine. I was a dirt biker for years and can stop, start, signal, brake and turn well while standing, though I always leave more space/time for response when standing, for obvious reasons. But with the "stunters" out there raising the hate & discontent level, I've been kicking around this kind of option for the future.

Another stretch technique at freeway speed is to rest my calf, one at a time, across the tip over protection wing. Not great, but it's good for a short break without loosing time/miles. Just be ready if your leg slips. It could get ugly, quickly.

I've been kicking around a drop bar from the bottom of the tip over protection horseshoe. It would be a different approach with the same result that you achieved. Details would have to be developed, but it's an option I may work with.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep us posted if you find the idea evolving.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
With a 36" inseam I can't dangle enroute like Phil

LOL, Papa Lou! I actually got stopped by a Highway Patrolman on I-25 in Wyoming once because I was dangling my feet while riding my Concours. I'd ridden about 130 miles without stopping on a cold day and the officer asked me when he stopped me if I knew why he'd pulled me over. I had been doing 80, but that usually won't even get you noticed on 25 in WY. He told me that I was violating the "motorcycle code," by not having my feet on the pegs and suggested I get some highway pegs since that would be safer. He asked me what I thought would happen if my foot touched the pavement. I told him nothing...it was kind of like surfing. Then he wondered what would happen if something was on the highway and I told him I'd see it and not kick it with my foot.

After he had given me a warning I politely asked him if he really thought highway pegs were safer? He told me he did, and pointed out that many cruiser riders had them. I pointed out that I was wearing a full-face helmet, protective riding gear, and motorcycle boots and gloves, and asked if he really thought those guys without helmets or any protective gear were safer than I was. He didn't answer that but told me to keep "those feet on those pegs." I think this guy was maybe 23-24 yrs old, BTW.

When I got home I called my CO HP buddy and asked if Wyoming had the same vehicle code we did. Jack assured me that they did, and he looked up motorcycles and what was required. Turns out footpegs aren't even mentioned in the Uniform Highway Code. Jack thought I ought to write the guy's sargeant, but I decided I didn't need to rattle his cage and make him mad at motorcyclists in general.

I haven't been stopped again for foot-dangling. :)

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
Does the steel square stock go all the way through to the other side of the bike? What is the width of the stock and how thick is the steel?

OP
OP

loonytuna

It does not go all the way through, the front cylinder is there. (pic)

The stock is 1/2", or at least it measures that way (see picture), it is available at the Home Depot. (pic)

I don't know the wall thickness but my guess is Home Desperate only carries one. (pic)

The whole thing cost around $20.00 - 30.00, including the pegs.

These pegs are the closest I could find to what I used, mine were in the garage from a previous bike so I didn't have the packaging. - http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5300165

These look like they would work too - http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5300016

Attachments

Top Bottom