It's official. Chris is a fathead.....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
So my wife gave me a $100 gift certificate for Cycle Gear for XMAS. We saw some sort of bright golden orb in the sky today so I took my new Subaru to CG to shop and get out of the house.
After looking at some boots, I saw they had a big helmet sale. Arie, Shoei, Bilt, etc. What better time to shop for my first Modular helmet to try out and see if I liked it?

I have always needed large type helmet sizes....but this session of trying out helmets for size would have had you rolling in the aisles with laughter. XX Large I couldnt even get the sides over the top of my head with many brands! One XXLarge was stuck hard on my head so I took off my glasses and got it off. Ouch.

The only XXX large they had was an inexpensive Bilt Demon. It went on pretty easily, there was lots of periphrial vision, good vertical vision and the mechanisms worked well. I bought it out of fear that I would never find another Modular that had the vision charactoristics I require and that I could acutally get on my head!

So those of you that think I have a "big head" are right..... :(

I thought that I would need a helmet in size "Large".....but when I bought my Scorpion helmet it took a XXXLarge.....the helmet is comfy but the shell is huge and white - I look like an astronaut with that helmet on. The shell is so big it won't fit in most side cases or top boxes.

I have been wearing it for the last 4 years and it is OK - but a bit noisy when you ride a bike that directs the air flow from the windscreen at the top vents on the helmet. Last year I finally got the helmet I really wanted in the first place - the Schoei GT AIR. When I first looked at the helmet several years ago the price was huge, and the price has dropped a little bit lately. I was able to buy this helmet in a size Large - it seems helmet sizes vary greatly between builders.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I don't know what it is with modular helmet sizing but it is weird. I've been wearing the same size Shoei for years, put on a Multi-Tech and the largest they make feels like a vise. :eek1: I think they mess with the lower sides to make up for the lost integrity with the moveable chin bar...

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Humm. .. .. ... I was just helmet shopping. I guess my head grew too.

All of my previous helmets are Large. I went to the Minneapolis Motorcycle Show and shopped helmets. Talked to the factory reps and got their input. Shuberth didn't come close to fitting. Arai was OK in a large, but with small cheek pads. Shoei was an XL with small cheek pads. Shoei L and Arai XL shells are the same size. Small Shoei cheek pads are 31mm and small Arai cheek pads are 15mm. This industry has unquestionable standards - NONE.

I bought a Shoei because I though they had better sheilds and were a bit quieter than the Arai. The Arai face shield is good quality, but a real putz to change. Shoei sheilds are great, seal up better, and are easy to change. The Arai have a little better safety rating in a crash, but I don't plan to use that feature.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I thought that I would need a helmet in size "Large".....but when I bought my Scorpion helmet it took a XXXLarge.....the helmet is comfy but the shell is huge and white - I look like an astronaut with that helmet on. The shell is so big it won't fit in most side cases or top boxes.

I have been wearing it for the last 4 years and it is OK - but a bit noisy when you ride a bike that directs the air flow from the windscreen at the top vents on the helmet. Last year I finally got the helmet I really wanted in the first place - the Schoei GT AIR. When I first looked at the helmet several years ago the price was huge, and the price has dropped a little bit lately. I was able to buy this helmet in a size Large - it seems helmet sizes vary greatly between builders.
Yes, helmet sizes do vary greatly by manufacturer. Frosty says there is a kit you can buy that really helps for buying over the web. I am basically at a loss with my headsize....I have no idea where they come up with these names for sizes.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Humm. .. .. ... I was just helmet shopping. I guess my head grew too.

All of my previous helmets are Large. I went to the Minneapolis Motorcycle Show and shopped helmets. Talked to the factory reps and got their input. Shuberth didn't come close to fitting. Arai was OK in a large, but with small cheek pads. Shoei was an XL with small cheek pads. Shoei L and Arai XL shells are the same size. Small Shoei cheek pads are 31mm and small Arai cheek pads are 15mm. This industry has unquestionable standards - NONE.

I bought a Shoei because I though they had better sheilds and were a bit quieter than the Arai. The Arai face shield is good quality, but a real putz to change. Shoei sheilds are great, seal up better, and are easy to change. The Arai have a little better safety rating in a crash, but I don't plan to use that feature.
I would like to see the forum member that wears anything below a Large.......

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would like to see the forum member that wears anything below a Large......
I have a HJC and a Bell, both in medium. That may be the old med, not the new size med or maybe I'm just a midget or dwarf.

Brad

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I wear a Shoei medium. Helmets should fit tight. I can not put mine on or take it off with my glasses on.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I have a HJC and a Bell, both in medium.
I think HJCs run a little bigger than some others.
And Warren is right. Helmet needs to be snug AND comfortably. They seem to fit larger as they age from heat and sweat compressing the soft foam.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I am just about through my second Arai Vector. It never occurred to me to try putting my helmet on or off while my glasses are on. Just does not work.

Don't overlook head shape too. I am an intermediate oval. If I try to cram my head into a round helmet it just doesn't work unless the helmet is way too big.

I am thinking of trying an HJC this time, full face of course.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I wear a Shoei medium. Helmets should fit tight. I can not put mine on or take it off with my glasses on.
I agree that all the experts say a helmet should fit tight. And for safety sake, I think it is true. Before I bought this modular, deep into the last century, I had a full faced helmet. To put it on, I had to take off my glasses and put them on. I switched to half face and never looked back, but this Bilt helmet has good visibility and fits comfortably and I dont have to take off my glasses. I will try it and see if it works for adventure touring.

I have motorcycle pants, boots, coats with armor. We shall see if I get used to the diver's helmet!

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think HJCs run a little bigger than some others.
And Warren is right. Helmet needs to be snug AND comfortably. They seem to fit larger as they age from heat and sweat compressing the soft foam.
Yes, they do "loosen up" over time. But many I attempted to get on I couldnt even spread the sides enough to get them over my ears. And that was XXLarge.
The vision of the very few I could get on was much impeded. Only the Bilt was acceptable. Trading vision for chin saftey is not wise.
I believe I will die of something besides lack of a chin guard. Probably alchohol tobacco and firearms....Whose bringing the chips?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had Shoei, HJC, Nolan, and Schuberth helmets. An XXL has been my size in all four brands. Modular helmets have been wonderful in keeping me from dropping glasses on concrete, gravel, and asphalt.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have a Schuberth C3, now 3-4 years old, and am now thinking of buying the new HJC RPHA 11 Pro. I mainly wanted to try a Schuberth at least once in my life and now that box is checked off - it's extremely quiet but on the negative side, it's not particularly light and the shell is massive. My last two helmets before the overly-pricey Schuberth (!) were both modular HJCs, always the top model. The RPHA 11 Pro can be bought online for under $400 and thanks to composite construction, they claim a helmet weight of only 3.1 lbs. :)

ps. HJCs always have overly-generous ear pockets because they make their own communications gear so this does give the impression of being more generous with the sizing. Schuberth also makes their own communication system but it's just as pricey as the helmet - I'd need to refinance my house if I wanted both!

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I agree that all the experts say a helmet should fit tight. And for safety sake, I think it is true. Before I bought this modular, deep into the last century, I had a full faced helmet. To put it on, I had to take off my glasses and put them on. I switched to half face and never looked back, but this Bilt helmet has good visibility and fits comfortably and I dont have to take off my glasses. I will try it and see if it works for adventure touring.

I have motorcycle pants, boots, coats with armor. We shall see if I get used to the diver's helmet!
Chris, I too used to only wear open face 3/4 helmets. Since my riding is primarily commuting I appreciated the visibility they provided. When I moved to Tennessee were riding year round was possible I found the open face helmet too be to cold on my face for winter riding. I switched to a Nolan N90 modular and then a Shoei modular and they have both proven to be a commuters dream. My fear about visibility has not proven to be an issue. Both have face shields that are larger than what a typical full coverage helmet has.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I wear a medium in a Shoe Quest, fitted with thin cheek pads. I wear a large Schuberth C3 with a change to the cheek pads and the head liner from a newer Schuberth. So, it all depends...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am bummed. My Shoei Neotec is going on 5 years old. Its the best helmet I have ever owned. A couple of months ago I was looking to see what the current prices were and they had recently gone from $585 to $629. Today I figured I would make the plunge and get a new one but they are no longer available in the common colors and sizes. Everyone I looked at was sold out The new Neotec 2 is now out and it costs $699. Not sure if I want to pay that much so I am now looking at other modular alternatives.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Warren, I didn't like it either when they changed something I liked. But I have discovered that many of the new ones are acturally better than the old ones. The design and technology really are better, which, of course, is reflected in the price. Things constantly change. I have a really nice horse, but my buggy needs repair, and my F150 is more comfortable and a lot easier to catch.

Have fun shopping.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Warren, I didn't like it either when they changed something I liked. But I have discovered that many of the new ones are acturally better than the old ones. The design and technology really are better, which, of course, is reflected in the price. Things constantly change. I have a really nice horse, but my buggy needs repair, and my F150 is more comfortable and a lot easier to catch.

Have fun shopping.
Ya, its got a ratchet chinstrap closure instead of D rings. That's worth a hundred bucks :)

Top Bottom