It's official. Chris is a fathead.....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I wear a medium in a Schuberth. Just saying.....
Wow...I am not worthy....you have our choice of helmets!
Went to the Triumph dealer today and saw the 2018 800s. They are giving away free luggage with the 2017s to get rid of them. Sure like the seat height of the lowered 2017s they had. and you still get the center stand bosses so you could buy one and have it cut down.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OK, rode with my new modular helmet. The XXXL helmet is slightly tight but not uncomfortably so. The fastening strap was a bit awkward, whereas my other helmets have no issues. The first thing you notice is you better not lower the chin bar until you are done paddling around the garage or whatever, because downward/behind visiblility is restricted in this helmet. Dont try backing around the garage if you have a wife who fills it with dog crates and other paraphanalia with the bar down. Once underway, this helmet has the most visibility of any modular I have tried, but it is still restricted Peripherally when doing the “Messerschmit Twitch” over your right shoulder, which I do more than my left but of course both are effected. I still have pretty good neck mobility but of course not like when I was 30, 39 years ago.

The aerodynamics of this helmet gave me no issues at all with buffeting no matter where I placed my windscreens. I wont say it was super quiet inside, but the noise charactoristics were such as to change the noises heard and those muted. I put up the chin bar a bit while riding and the only issue was visibility above my normal line of vision. I am convinced that someone could make one of these modulars DESIGNED to be ridden with the chin bar up, but while still giving good element protection, it probably wouldnt pass someone's chinbar safety standard.

While no lightweight, my neck was not bothered by the weight, but I can see why people lay out beaucoup bucks for the lightweight versions. It will be interesting to see if I use this helmet when I get my second to the last new bike.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, I ride with my Schuberth's chin bar up when I'm drinking coffee on the road and occasionally in town. No particular problem for me to do that. I've had a Nolan N-104 that had an elliptical motion that held the open chin bar closer to the top of the helmet than the Schuberth's chin bar is when it's open, but never have really noticed a lot of difference in the drag. I hope your helmet works out for you.

I can't imagine not having a modular. The only one that didn't work well for me was a very early HJC -- its visor would pop open when I met or passed a truck in sidewind conditions and it didn't seal tightly enough to keep the inside of the visor dry. I'm guessing that HJC has solved those problems since that was about 16 years ago and they're still selling helmets.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
A person ought not make such statements Chris. Someone (who must be obeyed) might be listening.
LOL! We have an unusual relationship. She does here thing and I do mine....she spends tons of her money on accuopuncture and chiropractors for her dogs and I spend my money on women and booze and just waste the rest....on bikes!
I can see myself in my declining years on a bike like Chuck made up....a modified Versys 300 pocket tourer....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, I ride with my Schuberth's chin bar up when I'm drinking coffee on the road and occasionally in town. No particular problem for me to do that. I've had a Nolan N-104 that had an elliptical motion that held the open chin bar closer to the top of the helmet than the Schuberth's chin bar is when it's open, but never have really noticed a lot of difference in the drag. I hope your helmet works out for you.

I can't imagine not having a modular. The only one that didn't work well for me was a very early HJC -- its visor would pop open when I met or passed a truck in sidewind conditions and it didn't seal tightly enough to keep the inside of the visor dry. I'm guessing that HJC has solved those problems since that was about 16 years ago and they're still selling helmets.
I figured I would try this helmet when I got my adventure bike, as it was cheep enough. I would have a hard time plunking down $600 UNLESS it has the features I require in such a helmet. I am a picky old B####### .
But if someone built a helmet that fit my head, had peripheral vision and the chin bar/visor went up and out of the way for open faced touring and it had a drop down sun visor, I would pay $800 for it. Harrrrrrah.....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Iron Pony in Columbus OH is about the closest thing to a "helmet store." They started out as an accessory/apparel-only store in modest buildings - the first one was about the size of a modest gas station building. Along the way, they inhabited an older Kroger building and now they're in an old Super K-Mart building. They also carry most of the major bike brands excepting that one based in Milwaukee. Within the past three years, they've expanded that mega-building by pushing the south end out to expand the service shop and added a partial 2-floor inside!

The other day at our club breakfast someone wondered what motorcycle brands they didn't carry. All we could come up with was Harley, Ural, and Royal Enfield.

I was a loyal HJC modular wearer for many years and I might go back to them. I currently have a Schuberth C3 Pro. The HJCs are made in a rounder interior profile where most of the other brands lean towards more oval. Strangely, Iron Pony has never carried the high-end HJCs so I always bought them via mail order since I knew my size. While Iron Pony avoided those HJCs they always carried the top of the line Arai and Shoei helmets so it didn't make much sense to me. Most of those now break the $700 mark.

Phil - since you're coming this way for our WV Gathering, you might as well set aside a half day for a visit to Iron Pony, just to gawk in amazement! :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Phil - since you're coming this way for our WV Gathering, you might as well set aside a half day for a visit to Iron Pony, just to gawk in amazement! :)
I think Mike Simmons and I are planning on stopping there.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
There is a helmet called the LS2 "Valiant" FF399 180 degree flip up. The chin bar rotates up 180 degrees and is separate from the visor and the sun screen. Saw a full page add in Road Runner.
The weird thing is some ads say it is 3 lbs...Revzilla says its 4+ lbs
(OK! I ordered one in white. It is indeed 4 lbs but doesnt feel it. My old open face is 3 lb. I went to two stores in town that carried the LS2 399 and the fit was perfect for my deformed head....I would have bought from either of them but all they had was flat black / chrome in XXL.
This helmet meets all my criteria. Room for my glasses, 180 chin bar with face sheild and drop down sun shield that work very well, and peripherial vision. It even has an old man's strap clasp with quick release for aging fingers. Easy peasy.
Looks like I will try and take back the Cycle gear helmet but If they wont take it, I will find a home for it for someone who wants it.
The LS2 is the bomb! If they stop making it, I will try and buy another before they go away.....
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/modular+helmets/ls2_valiant+modular+helmet?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2KHWBRC2ARIsAJD_r3eeMaPpl0hYs8obgiPPUyAFgP8S4mtPkDuHeuaWLarfp7bs_ohZ4I0aApB7EALw_wcB
https://ls2helmets.us/modular/valiant
https://youtu.be/LILmLKm5mn0

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ls2-valiant-helmet

Last edited:
Top Bottom