JC Whitney top box

MAC

you could lay out over $500+
I bought a V 46 GIVI from Sport tourer with free S/H. It was $ 245.00.
I got the mounting rack from Twisted Throttle, it was $ 105.00 with tax. I picked that up at there store.

So $ 95.00 is real good and it looks good.

Last edited:

Stex

I have 2 Whitney top boxes, I've had them for years and moved them around different bikes I've had throughout the years...........they are now mounted on my NT and 650 Vstrom......for the price you can't go wrong.

maxweljames

Looks good. While it would have been nice to spend less on the top box, it was a planned expense when I purchased the NT so it was budgeted for. Even seeing your nice install for so little money I don't regret getting the GIVI. However, if I have to do it again I will certainly look into your setup.

hondaaddict

I'm ambivalent about the JCW boxes. I had a large one on my Kawasaki. It was enourmous; it fits two helmets. But the box was heavy. There was noticeable effect on handling. Because of the vibration from the Kawasaki, I never trusted quick release mount of the JCW for any long high speed touring.

OP
OP
suvcw04
Bike
2010 NT700V
I'm ambivalent about the JCW boxes. I had a large one on my Kawasaki. It was enourmous; it fits two helmets. But the box was heavy. There was noticeable effect on handling. Because of the vibration from the Kawasaki, I never trusted quick release mount of the JCW for any long high speed touring.
Five years on my 500 Vulcan without any problems. They also sell a smaller one, which I had but gave to my brother.

silverdevil

I have 2 of the J C Whitney large top boxes or trunks.
one on my NT, one on my Ninja 650 and I had one on the last bike I got rid of, 05 FJR.

the thing I did different to mine is take the orange panels on the forward side and paint them black, looks better to me.

1TRAK

I have the medium and large JC trunks.

Used the large one on the Concours with nary a problem for many thousands of miles.
The medium one I have on the NT now worked great on my KLR for years. For the money nothing comes close to these JC boxes.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Nice looking rig 1TRAK. What are you hanging off the screen.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I wonder if Honda dealers use the top box as a little something extra to help seal an otherwise iffy deal. "hey, we'll throw in the top box for free" knowing that it will still cost $150 or more to buy the brackets. The JCW box looks really good for the price.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I bought the Honda Top Box last summer when I bought the bike, and a black Givi 46 liter box and bracket for $300 for my wife's Silverwing. Given the difference in overall quality, I wish nmow I would have saved the money I spent on the OEM truck and shopped around more. There were not as many of us in the forum last summer with the previous experiences that many of you now bring. Where were you guys last year? LOL Hindsight being 20/20, I think many of us with the OEM trunk would have gladly traded the color match for a savings of a couple of hundred

mat0000

I must admit that I don't like ANY top case in my NT 700. Other top cases, LOOKS like Givis and Honda, but they are not the same. It is clear that there is a huge difference in money, but also in quality.

1TRAK

Nice looking rig 1TRAK. What are you hanging off the screen.
Thanks. That's a little self adhesive compass I bought from Auto Zone. Works great running down the road and cost like four dollars.

Old school GPS backup! :D

OP
OP
suvcw04
Bike
2010 NT700V
I must admit that I don't like ANY top case in my NT 700. Other top cases, LOOKS like Givis and Honda, but they are not the same. It is clear that there is a huge difference in money, but also in quality.
Mine is 5 years old, and has not had a single problem For the price of a Honda or Givi, I can buy FIVE more JC Whitney boxes. How much "quality" do I need?

1TRAK

Mine is 5 years old, and has not had a single problem For the price of a Honda or Givi, I can buy FIVE more JC Whitney boxes. How much "quality" do I need?
I'm with you on that, my medium box on the NT has seen 9000 miles of adventure on a KLR and 15000 miles on the Honda and still works fine.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Thanks. That's a little self adhesive compass I bought from Auto Zone. Works great running down the road and cost like four dollars.

Old school GPS backup! :D
Cool thanks

elizilla

I've been using the same Givi cases on a lot of different bikes, as both side cases and top cases, and given them a hard life. See the map in my sig? They've been everywhere, and overloaded too. They have outlasted several motorcycles. They have always been waterproof, and never given me any trouble like people get from the NT's integrated luggage. It's been nice to be able to order key sets to key them alike, and new racks to put three cases on the bikes that didn't have integrated sidecases. I loaned my cases to one of my girlfriends, who crashed and slid her bike down the road on one of my Givi cases. After the accident, the case was scratched but still perfectly serviceable. I ordered a replacement lid a year or two later, just for cosmetics, and the price was reasonable. The JCW top cases are probably fine, but I have liked the availability of Givi spare parts and additional pieces as needed to fit later bikes. And after the great service life I've had from my Givi luggage, I feel I've had my money's worth and expect to continue having my money's worth. I'll have these cases long after the NT is gone.

Now the E55 Maxia case I've put on the NT, that was basically a silly purchase - I didn't need it, I could just keep using the cases I already had. But I just wanted it, that magpie urge y'know, the shiny it calls to me. :) But I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't already have such a high opinion of the Givi stuff.

But if I were just looking for a topcase, cheap, I might go for the JCW case too. Not sure I'd feel comfortable with it as a side case, though.

OP
OP
suvcw04
Bike
2010 NT700V
I've been using the same Givi cases on a lot of different bikes, as both side cases and top cases, and given them a hard life. See the map in my sig? They've been everywhere, and overloaded too. They have outlasted several motorcycles. They have always been waterproof, and never given me any trouble like people get from the NT's integrated luggage. It's been nice to be able to order key sets to key them alike, and new racks to put three cases on the bikes that didn't have integrated sidecases. I loaned my cases to one of my girlfriends, who crashed and slid her bike down the road on one of my Givi cases. After the accident, the case was scratched but still perfectly serviceable. I ordered a replacement lid a year or two later, just for cosmetics, and the price was reasonable. The JCW top cases are probably fine, but I have liked the availability of Givi spare parts and additional pieces as needed to fit later bikes. And after the great service life I've had from my Givi luggage, I feel I've had my money's worth and expect to continue having my money's worth. I'll have these cases long after the NT is gone.

Now the E55 Maxia case I've put on the NT, that was basically a silly purchase - I didn't need it, I could just keep using the cases I already had. But I just wanted it, that magpie urge y'know, the shiny it calls to me. :) But I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't already have such a high opinion of the Givi stuff.

But if I were just looking for a topcase, cheap, I might go for the JCW case too. Not sure I'd feel comfortable with it as a side case, though.
I don't think JCW makes a side case for any bike. Just the two top boxes. The one thing I DON'T like is that the mounting base for the two are different. You can't just swap the big and medium. You have to change the base too.

Top Bottom