JC Whitney top box

Kebmo

My JC top box plate had it's holes in all the right places. I haven't had a problem with it in the past 3 months since purchasing. If i ever end up taking the back plastic off, i think i'll put a 3rd bolt thru it for less flex in the rough. After having so many top boxes catch my eye these past few months, i am comfortable opining that no matter which one you buy, it's still going to be ugly luggage on your bike.

Bike
2010 Maroon NT 700
Trying to decide whether to get the medium or large top box from JCW. I don't take overnight trips and mainly need it to hold a full face modular helmet and to serve as a backrest so my wife doesn't feel like she will fall of the back. Is the installation of the medium box easier than the installation of the large box? I get concerned when I read that you should remove the grab handles and you need to drill holes and add bushings. Any advice would be apprecaited.

The other odd thing is that the medium box ($75) is more expensive than the large box ($45)which I don't understand. Is there a difference in quality?

OP
OP
suvcw04
Bike
2010 NT700V
Trying to decide whether to get the medium or large top box from JCW. I don't take overnight trips and mainly need it to hold a full face modular helmet and to serve as a backrest so my wife doesn't feel like she will fall of the back. Is the installation of the medium box easier than the installation of the large box? I get concerned when I read that you should remove the grab handles and you need to drill holes and add bushings. Any advice would be apprecaited.

The other odd thing is that the medium box ($75) is more expensive than the large box ($45)which I don't understand. Is there a difference in quality?
The big one will hold two full face helmets, BUT it will a squeeze, and some brands may not fit. I don't know about the small box. I would get the larger box. You will eventually regret getting the small one. I bought the small one at first, and gave it away within a few weeks and ordered the big one.

The mounting techniques are the same. The tail piece on the bike is marked for drilling. You do need to remove the passenger grab handles AND you will need to add the two special Honda nuts, and MAKE SURE that they are glued to the bike or YOU WILL LOSE THEM.

This will the third summer for the box on my NT and it was on another bike for five years before that. Comes to around $11 or $12 a year. A Givi would have to last 40 or 50 years to match that.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Dittos to the above. Get the big one. It is 41 liters of so. Could hold two helmets. Installation is not hard.

See posts 27 and 28 in this thread. The bronze bushings from Ace work great but are a little over size for the metric holes. Easily fixed with drill or round file.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Even though this is an ancient thread, the instructions on how to install the large Whitney box are perfect. By the way, the large Whitney top box was selling for only $40 with mounting plate. Only difficulty was finding the 1.5 inch long spacers and then waiting for the square nuts to arrive in the mail. All in all, EZPZ.

Many thanks for good guidance.

Hugh Straub
New Orleans

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I have to agree Hugh. I could not believe how cheap the box was, and free shipping too. I was also impressed at the quality. I figured for the price it would be flimsy, but it seems very sturdy.

Ordered my nuts yesterday. They should be in next week. I can't wait to install it and see how it looks. I was looking at a Givi, but I am sure glad I came across this thread.

Thanks to every one who originally contributed to the thread.

Richard

Top Bottom