JIS Screwdrivers

tawilke46

I just read an interesting article in the March issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. The article is a review on JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screwdrivers. These JIS drivers fit the heads of screw products that are DIN/ISO Standard 5260, which are used on many Japanese products. Due to their design, regular phillips head screwdrivers don't quite fit these screw heads (will cam out) and will likely strip them.

Have you ever had a heck of a problem getting out what appears to be a phillips head screw only to strip out the head? I have and it can be frustrating.
Some times referred to as "Japanese Phillips" the JIS driver tip design is such that it firmly grips the head of JIS screws and will less likely strip the head.

I did not know of the difference between a regular phillips head screw driver and a JIS screwdriver. Now I know. BTW JIS drivers can be used on phillips head screws.

I have ordered a set from Vessel brand screwdrivers.
Another source is HOZAN brand screwdrivers, about $20 for a set of common sizes.

slider

Thanks for the heads up. Looking around briefly there seems to be a 2nd and 3rd generation. Not sure if this is to produce revenue or fix errors. I've never heard of them but might as well put these on the list.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The current issue of Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Magazine had an article on JIS tools as well. They recommended the Vessel toolkit. Since I will be restoring my CB550K, I will definitely need a set.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Many Phillips screwdrivers have too much of a point which causes it to bottom out without the side tangs making full contact
with the driving flanks in the screw head. When I find one like that, I touch it the tip on a sander until I get full contact.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It's interesting to me that the difference between the JIS screws and Phillips-head screws is not known any more widely. It sure explains the issues we used to have with the screws on the Concours -- we all blamed those problems on the alloy used in the screw, but I thought it was interesting that we didn't have the issue with the threads on the screws, just the heads. Gary Murpy, the guy who owns Murphskits, the source for the Rostra elecronic cruise control and about a gazillion other useful things (mainly for the Concours, though) built his business by selling replacement stainless-steel allen-head screw sets. I wonder if he knows about the JIS screwdrivers....

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
To further complicate matters, there are also Reed & Prince and PoziDrive screws which look like Mr Phillips screws, but ain't! When dealing with tight fasteners, it makes a BIG difference when you use the correct driver.

MIke

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

To further complicate matters, there are also Reed & Prince and PoziDrive screws which look like Mr Phillips screws, but ain't! When dealing with tight fasteners, it makes a BIG difference when you use the correct driver.

MIke
I learned the hard way on my daughter's FZ6 trying to get a screw out of the rear fender.......the right tool for the job made an immense difference no doubt.
But we did replace the screw (bolt really) with a allen hex bolt to make disassembly easier next time.

elizilla

I have a set of JIS screwdrivers which I always used for my NT. But some of the screws were just plain hard to remove anyways.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have a set of JIS screwdrivers which I always used for my NT. But some of the screws were just plain hard to remove anyways.
Amen, Katherine! In my encounters with maintenance on Traveller so far, I concur. I suspect that they used gorillas for final assembly in Spain!

Mike

skiper

I wonder if the guy who put my oil filter on was havin a really really bad day ? Was he a havin a manic episode ? Do they fire people at the beginnin o the day ? Maybe his fell off once. I'll bet his boss hassled him for havin em too loose once.. It was beyond tight

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I wonder if the guy who put my oil filter on was havin a really really bad day ?
I wonder if the oil filter gaskets swell from oil/heat a little bit. They always seem harder to remove than install. Even when it is me doing the install.

Brad

slider

I think the 2011's are slapped together in Italy. I haven't noticed anything extra tight.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ahem, Slider...the 2011s are assembled in Italy. "Slapped together" is a perjorative term that should be avoided in the interest of political-correctness. :)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Hozan makes a set of four screwdrivers for $20 plus $22 shipping. I think that I will keep looking.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Delicious alphabet soup. JIS: Japanese Industrial standard DIN: German industrial standards ISO: International Organization for Standardization. Correct me if I am wrong but the idea here in this global economy is to make things that are serviceable globally. Whit-worth tools anyone?

Still remember how well metrication went.

Last edited:
Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Yup, that's typical. It isn't just Honda, there are threads on the BMW forum complaining about the same thing.
Had to lay my R850R on its side to get the recessed oil filter off it. Had to drill holes in the oil filter tool, screw in 4 long metal screws and then screw it to the filter and stick on a three foot long breaker bar to it. Added liberal amounts of heat . Only then would it come off.

I don't know what they did to it. Pretty much explains why, in 9,950 miles, it still had the ORIGINAL oil filter on it. :eek1:

Top Bottom