JIS Screwdrivers

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Vessel makes very high quality JIS screwdrivers. I recently purchased their motorcycle repair Kit. A little pricy but probably the last set of screwdrivers you will ever need.

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/tool-sets/motorcycle-repair-kit/flypage_sku.tpl.html
Thanks for the link!

I didn't need the impact or the stubbys, so I opted for this set:

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/megadora/900-910/kit-7/flypage.tpl.html

I should have looked around before I finalized my order. I think I may get this too:

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/screwdriver-sets/820fx-4/flypage.tpl.html

And for those really rusted in and 'it ain't gonna budge' screws:

http://www.vesseltools.com/gasoline-powered-tools/ted-270pfr/flypage.tpl.html

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My Vessel JIS screwdrivers are the only non-slotted screwdrivers I use on my Hondas and Toyotas. I think size 1 or 1.5 is the one I use most often. Occasionally I use the #2.:cool:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I ordered the JIS screwdrivers from one of the vendors who use Amazon. I got an email saying that my order had shipped yesterday. When I tried to track the package yesterday I learned that shipping information had been received by UPS, but the actual package was not yet in their hands. Today it has been received at the shipping point in the US and they're showing an expected delivery time of March 13.

I can hardly wait!

slider

You have to be real careful of Amazon. It's full of Chinese counterfeiters. They change their store name when they get caught and it's business as usual. You almost have to read the reviews and comments since their product reviews come from all sellers of that product. Of course the knock offs are now being produced at the same factory as the originals.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Everything I've bought through Amazon has been as described. I'll be surprised if these screwdrivers aren't the brand and quality I'm expecting. I was just a tad surprised about the predicted 3-week UPS delivery.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
When I ordered mine they said due to unexpected high demand for the motorcycle kit they had run out and were expecting a new shipment from Japan. I guess when you get publicity in two motorcycle mags your are going to get unexpected orders.

slider

Yeah I buy a ton of stuff from them and have Prime. I did get 3 of the well documented fake Android chargers from them. They said Samsung on them but a guy took them apart and they were not. They also put out .7 amps rather than the 1 they advertised. Amazon refunded everyone that sent them back (on your dime) but the guy then opened up three different stores in a month and sold a bunch more. Now Amazon has apparently given up as there is 80 stores on there now with complaints of fakes with the same chargers.

Nike sneakers are having a heck of a time on there too. But yeah 95% is OK on there.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Time to resurrect this thread...if you look on Amazon, Ebay, Vessel, you name it, Jis screw drivers are very very expensive, for no reason that I can see. What works best for motorcycle types is one handle and 4 or 5 bits, maybe that go inside the handle, maybe that go in a little plastic holder... 0, 1, 2,3 and maybe 4. That is really all you need and maybe less. Japanese bikes/cars are sold around the world....so why wouldnt someone make this setup, or even just the bits, for $10? $2 apiece even???? I dont get it...I am going to look for bits again on the web......(I looked at the toolkit that came with my Concours and the #2 Jis looks lots more like a phillips than a Jis....)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I bought that Hosan set that Tim mentioned from Amazon back in February of ’13, after this thread told me that there were differences in Japanese and American cross-slotted screws. I wonder how many screws on my ’99 Connies would have still been original if the Kawasaki screwdrivers had been JIS instead of Phillips.
Like many other Concours owners, I replaced all my factory hard chocolate screws with stainless screws from Gary Murphy of Murpskits.com. They lasted for a long time, partly because they were made out of stronger metal, but, as I now know, also because the Phillips screwdrivers I was using with them fit in the same way that the JIS screwdrivers fit Japanese screws.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I bought that Hosan set that Tim mentioned from Amazon back in February of ’13, after this thread told me that there were differences in Japanese and American cross-slotted screws. I wonder how many screws on my ’99 Connies would have still been original if the Kawasaki screwdrivers had been JIS instead of Phillips.
Like many other Concours owners, I replaced all my factory hard chocolate screws with stainless screws from Gary Murphy of Murpskits.com. They lasted for a long time, partly because they were made out of stronger metal, but, as I now know, also because the Phillips screwdrivers I was using with them fit in the same way that the JIS screwdrivers fit Japanese screws.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I bought one JIS screwdriver from Vessel. It has a long shank and magnetic tip and has really helped a lot. Yes, it was expensive ($25) but I wanted one so popped for it. Hey, life is short so enjoy yourself!

In ref to those short tips that fit into one handle, I saw something like that at Lowe's in their tool dept before the holidays. It must of had 30-40 different tips and how someone would use even 1/4 of those tips befuddled me. :)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Phil,

On Amazon US the Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set is about USD $22 (EUR 21.20?) on Amazon France the same set is EUR 75? (USD $81.41) plus delivery.

Someone is having a giraffe!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
John, could you buy from Amazon US and ship to France for less than the European Amazon price?

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I could but it says they don't ship to my location on the US site :(

Top Bottom