Larger Panniers Are Installed.

maxweljames

Received my new(to me) pans yesterday. Took an hour last night and did a quick sand on the slightly damaged R/H pan. 90% of the marks were only paint deep. A few of them did get into the meat of the material but cleaned up fairly quickly. After work today I cleaned it up, taped it off, and blew in some "Honda" Silver Metallic. I'm sure the label was referencing a Honda Civic because it sure doesn't match my NT(what did I expect for a $7 can from Autozone). It's a temporary fix anyways. This fall, once the outside temps drop, I'll do a full sand and spray with matched paint. For now it's an acceptable 10ft paint job covering a 15ft sanding job. Install was a breeze, 15 minutes to install both sides, so far the latches are flawless, fingers crossed. I've got a replacement "Deauville" emblem on order. $10 US dollars for a pair from Bournemouth UK, including shipping. Couldn't pass up that cheap of a price to complete my faux Deauville.

My personal thanks to Phil for dropping his NT a second time, giving me the opportunity to farkle my NT. :yr1: Seriously though, nice of you to offer up you're stuff to us cheap basta.....um.. folk. Plus I'm a huge fan of recycling.

This heat we're having caused the paint to dry as fast as I could lay it down. So by the time I pulled the tape the paint was too dry to flow out, it was tape line city. I was so sloppy with this knowing it's all going to get stripped off in a couple months, really who cares. I can even make out a couple of swirl marks in the pic. That's what happens when you go from 150 grit to 600 grit and it's 115 degree heat index. This weekend I'm going to dig out the buffer and see if I can soften the paint lines a little. It might make the difference in color less noticeable.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It doesn't look too bad. I may keep the next set I screw up.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Looks a heck of a lot better than if I'd have done it... I typically point the can of krylon and close my eyes.. LOL

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I also have a set of Phil's panniers. Mine are painted Chysler Metallic Black. It gives the bike a whole new look. Now I need a digital camera, learn to transfer the picture to the computer, and then send it to this forum. When it comes to computers, I am a complete baloonfoot. I know enough to get by--and that can be dangerous.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
As I tell people who say my NT looks "odd" or "different", "It's a motorcycle, not a prom dress." I used to drive a '66 Beetle and a '69 SAAB. Do you REALLY think I care about the swoopy factor?
You drove a <gasp!> Saab!!!!?? We need to check with the moderators to see if'n you're even allowed in here!

;^)

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
You drove a <gasp!> Saab!!!!?? We need to check with the moderators to see if'n you're even allowed in here!
As long as he didn't have a Volvo as well he probably is not contagious....but we are watching now! Since I owned a Yugo I'm fairly tolerant...:D

Back on Topic: When I scratch my lids I'm going for the tu-tone look with the lower "scratch here" area painted in matte black... It should look good and will be easy to touch up....

Bike
2010 NT700V

;^)

Mike
TWO of them. I also had a 1974 Model 99. The '69 was a model 96 (also called an armadillo because of the shape). Two of the best cars I've ever owned. Drove them both to well over 100 thousand before they were traded or sold.

MAC

I can't remember the model, but when I was 15 ( wow long time ago ) working in a gas station and I think it was a Saab that pulled in for gas, the driver got out and handed me a can of oil to put in the tank, before filling it. This was the first time I had seen a 2/stroke engine in a car.

MAC

Alex,
With the larger panniers, does the right side open as much as with the small ones, or does it hit the exhaust? I've never looked at mine ( OEM ) to see how close they come to the exhaust.

I'm glad you didn't paint your panniers Silver. Then your bike would be the slowest RED one, but still faster then Silver. LOL ; -)

The Black must really look good.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Oh, I am in trouble....I have owned a Volvo 144 -72, Saab 95 -73, Saab 900 -85, and now Volvo XC70 -09 and XC90 -09.....
Can you forgive me? Does it help that I also drove a Mercury Cougar -84?

The Saab 95 -73 was the most fun car of all these......

freezingalaskan

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
TWO of them. I also had a 1974 Model 99. The '69 was a model 96 (also called an armadillo because of the shape). Two of the best cars I've ever owned. Drove them both to well over 100 thousand before they were traded or sold.
TWO of them!! Good God, man, have you NO shame??

;^)

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
I can't remember the model, but when I was 15 ( wow long time ago ) working in a gas station and I think it was a Saab that pulled in for gas, the driver got out and handed me a can of oil to put in the tank, before filling it. This was the first time I had seen a 2/stroke engine in a car.
Good memory. From the beginning until 1969, SAABs had two stroke 3 cylinder engines. In 1969, they started to use a V-4 four stroke engine made by Ford in Germany in the Model 96 and an inline slant 4 made in England in the Model 99.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Oh, I am in trouble....I have owned a Volvo 144 -72, Saab 95 -73, Saab 900 -85, and now Volvo XC70 -09 and XC90 -09.....
Can you forgive me? Does it help that I also drove a Mercury Cougar -84?

The Saab 95 -73 was the most fun car of all these......

freezingalaskan
Obviously, a true gentleman with an extremely well developed sense of all things automotive (well, maybe with the exception of the Merc).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I installed my large lids I did not notice a huge difference in strap lengths between the regular and large lid versions...

It wasn't a very big difference, was it? Maybe 1/2 - 3/4" difference. I had already changed them before I noticed how close the length between the two was.

OP
OP

maxweljames

Got the Deauville Logos, now I'm touring in style with my Faux Deauville. Rode home in the rain today, not too hard but constant for about 45 minutes. Seems I have a slight water leak on the L/H pan. Anybody else experience this with OEM's or the larger upgrades? I'm thinking a thin layer of sticky backed foam weather stripping will do the trick.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Alex,
With the larger panniers, does the right side open as much as with the small ones, or does it hit the exhaust? I've never looked at mine ( OEM ) to see how close they come to the exhaust.

I'm glad you didn't paint your panniers Silver. Then your bike would be the slowest RED one, but still faster then Silver. LOL ; -)

The Black must really look good.
Mac,
Stopped at the Honda dealer and they really liked the metallic black. It is a sharp looking bike.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Mac,
Saab was definitely the car you encountered. I had a Monte Carlo that I ran in rallies. It was an 850cc three cylnder two stroke. At that time Saab had the chutzbah to warranty their engines for a lifetime. They were a great car and had the typical ringy-ding-ding of a two stroke. The oil measuring cup was in the gas cap. Great memories!

Bike
2010 NT700V
Mac,
Saab was definitely the car you encountered. I had a Monte Carlo that I ran in rallies. It was an 850cc three cylnder two stroke. At that time Saab had the chutzbah to warranty their engines for a lifetime. They were a great car and had the typical ringy-ding-ding of a two stroke. The oil measuring cup was in the gas cap. Great memories!
I had a 1969 model 96 and a 1974 model 99. The '69 had a
v-4 four stroke made in Germany and the '74 had a straight 4 made in England. The '69 still had the free-wheeling and four speed stick on the column like the 3 cylinder. GREAT cars.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
As long as he didn't have a Volvo as well he probably is not contagious....but we are watching now! Since I owned a Yugo I'm fairly tolerant...:D

Back on Topic: When I scratch my lids I'm going for the tu-tone look with the lower "scratch here" area painted in matte black... It should look good and will be easy to touch up....
Wayne,
That's a really good idea.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I had thought of getting the liners until I looked at the price. I found two canvas tote bags that do the trick. I pack my clothes in Zip-Loc bags and squeeze the air out. A small leak in the rain would really not account for much. The bags I had on my R-50 leaked like a sieve. The NT's are far superior.

Top Bottom