Larger Panniers Are Installed.

OP
OP

maxweljames

A small leak in the rain would really not account for much. The bags I had on my R-50 leaked like a sieve. The NT's are far superior.
Small are large, any amount of a leak is unacceptable to me. Sealing material was installed as a means of preventing the water from entering, it's not doing it job, so it needs fixed. That's how I see it at any rate.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I have to agree with Maxwell on this one. Saddlebags have two main jobs, keep stuff off the street and keep stuff dry. I've had no leaks in the stock lids so far and have ridden in some serious rain. (Not that I like it).

On a similar note, my new and extravagant JC Whitney trunk did the three jobs required. It stayed on the bike, kept the stuff off the street and kept the stuff dry. Had about three or four hours total rain on last Sunday's 470 miler.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Small are large, any amount of a leak is unacceptable to me. Sealing material was installed as a means of preventing the water from entering, it's not doing it job, so it needs fixed. That's how I see it at any rate.
I have not had any leaks in mine, yet, with the original or the Large Pannier Lids installed... Did your the stock lids leak?

OP
OP

maxweljames

I have not had any leaks in mine, yet, with the original or the Large Pannier Lids installed... Did your the stock lids leak?
Not a drop, and in much heavier rains. Which is why this kind of caught me by suprise.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
It sounds like the leaky large lid may have been "tweaked" somewhere along the line... Does it appear to seal tightly all around the lid?

elizilla

Mine (which are standard lids) don't leak while underway, but if I open them when the bike is soaking wet, water runs into them. A hazard of the clamshell design that john grinsel is always complaining about...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2010 NT700V
I have to agree with Maxwell on this one. Saddlebags have two main jobs, keep stuff off the street and keep stuff dry. I've had no leaks in the stock lids so far and have ridden in some serious rain. (Not that I like it).

On a similar note, my new and extravagant JC Whitney trunk did the three jobs required. It stayed on the bike, kept the stuff off the street and kept the stuff dry. Had about three or four hours total rain on last Sunday's 470 miler.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck
Now your big problem will be what to do with the $400 you saved by not buying a gold plated Givi or Hondaline. The other downside is that you only need a dozen or so parts to mount the JCW box. With the two platinum boxes, you get about 50 pieces to lose, drop and install upside down the first time. Ah, the suffering we cheapskates must endure.

Bike
Silver NT700V
The actual savings will be less, more on the order of $300. still enough to cover the heated grips I have planned.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am contacting Honda of Bournemouth about big lids...why would they ask me if my name is Phil???? Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had the honda part numbers of any hardware it might be a good idea to purchase with the lids just in case I want to go back and forth between big and small lids. I hope the red color matches my bike. And i assume they come with Deauville stickers. Is Deauville pronounced DOE' -vul?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I am contacting Honda of Bournemouth about big lids...why would they ask me if my name is Phil???? Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had the honda part numbers of any hardware it might be a good idea to purchase with the lids just in case I want to go back and forth between big and small lids. I hope the red color matches my bike. And i assume they come with Deauville stickers. Is Deauville pronounced DOE' -vul?
Bike bandit.com has an excellent interactive parts catalog. Plus see my thread on the subject that I posted a couple of days ago.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Some people have bought a couple of sets of "striker, saddlebag" and the screws. I haven't done that before, but just ordered four strikers and eight screws from bikebandit.com so I won't have to keep unscrewing and rescrewing the strikers if I change between lids.

I think Deauville is pronounced dough-vill.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Some people have bought a couple of sets of "striker, saddlebag" and the screws. I haven't done that before, but just ordered four strikers and eight screws from bikebandit.com so I won't have to keep unscrewing and rescrewing the strikers if I change between lids.

I think Deauville is pronounced dough-vill.
For more info, see this thread:

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?3230-Making-it-easier-to-switch-pannier-lids-between-large-and-standar&highlight=

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Cool! Thanks! Here is what I got back from Honda of Bournemouth....I will be traveling and I dont want my wife to have to worry about being here for a signature so I will get my lids when I return. Should come in about
400 to 500 bucks. (Rich, why are so many people on this forum airplane drivers?)
Chris who only sings when he rides and no one can hear him

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your enquiry. We do send a lot of large pannier lids for the Deauville to America. You will need to add the pannier lids to your basket on the web site then proceed to the check out. Before any payment is made it will ask for your name and address details. When you have added these details it will work out the shipping costs for you. If you then wish to proceed with the order simply fill in your payment details and complete the order. If you decide not to purchase at this time you can just return to the home page.
We send the large pannier lids by Parcel Force Global Priority which is a signed for service.

Kind regards

Donna

Internet Department
Honda of Bournemouth

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Another source I used for the larger lids was Lings Honda in UK. There was a mixup with the original shipment but the customer service was superb. I ended up with an extra set of small lids (Deauville badged). I really like the larger bags. I wish Honda in USA understood our wants and needs better.

Brad

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I'm sure they do--but why go through the trouble to re-badge and import, when we creative Americans can figure out a way to get the stuff anyway.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
(Rich, why are so many people on this forum airplane drivers?)
Part of my retirement plan. Riding donorcycles and piloting scareplanes is way to ensure I won't outlive my savings:rofl1:

In fact, I usually ride my bike to the airport where I keep my plane (Paine Field), defying the grim reaper to outmaneuver me.:tongue:

Top Bottom