Less than one year to retirement and repatriation.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I rolled under one year to retirement on April 1st. :wine2:

Time to start motorcycle shopping soon.

elizilla

Many recent retirees have marital problems because the two people are all of a sudden spending every hour and day with each other and some find that this situation is a whole lot different than just seeing someone in the morning and then at night.
One couple I know, she'd been a housewife all those years, and he had been a manager at his job. Well, he retired, came home, and couldn't resist managing her. She couldn't take it. She said "If you know so much about how I oughtta do the laundry, you can do it yourself." And she went out and got a paid job. :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Fifty Six Days and Counting until the wife retires, again, and we're no longer tied to an academic calender. We are both looking forward to that... There are plenty of ways to volunteer to stay busy while setting your own schedule and doing something you want to do...

Bike
2011 Black NT700
Retired in 2007 after 27 plus years of law enforcement in California. Took my retirement check to Montana and have no, zero, nada regrets. Don't miss the job or state one bit.
And it will get even better when the new to me bike arrives.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
59 days till retirement. 102 till the Epic Ride begins with a jaunt to Spearfish.

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Well, I guess that I am sort of an introverted Class A personality, but I do not expect to have a problem staying busy. I do, however, have my own special problems. I have been working in Saudi Arabia for the past 15 years (nearly) by myself, so Diane and I will need to readjust to my being home all the time. I could spend one month out of three on the road and I would still be home more than I am now. :smile:

I have a half dozen, longish (although nothing approaching Epicness) rides planned for the first two years after I return.

Bike
Bonneville T120
The wife may retire in June, maybe not. It all depends on the status of her position at the hospital.
Me, I've been an academic for 31 years and counting. Realistically it will be 4 or 5 years until I retire, but I'll have no trouble walking away from it. I only began thinking that way in the last couple of years. We'll see.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm workin' on gettin' momma a second job so I can afford to retire in a coupla' years..... shhhhhh don't tell her I said that!

;^)

Mike

tawilke46

Linda and I did our turn in the barrel. She worked for 43 years for the East Baton Rouge City-Parish in Purchasing. I did a total of 38 years (after taking out 3 years going to LSU to finish my BS degree) in engineering and construction, mainly at power plants, chemical plants and refineries.
We were both ready to retire. She worked for three years after I retired. We get along fine, no problems. I do my things, she does hers. And sometimes we do things together.
The secret is to give each other some space to do our own thing.

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I retired in 92 at age 49 after 25 years with NY State Civil Service (Which is neither) Diane and I lived on our sailboat for 14 years and cruised the East Coast, The Bahamas, and the Caribbean. We moved ashore when I needed to tend to a bout with cancer and got into some shoreside stuff like bicycle racing, bicycle repair, return to motorcycling, and volunteer work. I took over the local soup kitchen and converted it into a bistro. It has a warm feel, good atmosphere, and really great people. I feel more like a restauranteur than anything else. It is hard work-especially the constant fund raising, but we are making it. Now we serve as a model for soup kitchens. Portland and Augusta have gone the bistro route.

What's nice about being retired is that you can be as creative as you want to be. I don't have anyone telling me how I should do things. I have a Board of Directors and they seem happy with the way things are as long as we are solvent. It's nice going to the bistro in the morning and having coffee with our guests. There is a lot of satisfaction in seeing people who were cynical, withdrawn, and down on everything, becoming outgoing, upbeat, and hopeful. I also really enjoy their company. Bob, from our forum stopped by and had a good time. It's a fun place. I don't miss being a Psychiatric Social Worker for NY State in the least. Working this way is fun. Working for pay is a drag.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I rolled under one year to retirement on April 1st. :wine2:

Time to start motorcycle shopping soon.
Congrats! T-minus 156 days for me. I'll start shopping mid next year after I take a 3500 mile circumference of Texas trip. Sort of a wind-up for unleashing me upon the rest of the country on the next MC. The long list is Multistrada (chain, boo, Skyhook, yeah), Connie (all good), redesigned ST (hopefully), R1200RT (Wet Head), VFR (maybe) and Crosstourer (wishing).

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have been retired and back in Colorado for 3 and a half years now. I should have retired 30 years ago, as I am having too much fun. 5 days a week riding while the wife goes to work and weekends with the family. It don't get much better than this.:biggrin:

Congrats on your up coming retirement.

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
My prospective shopping list is a lot shorter. Part of that will depend on whether Honda decides to start importing NT's again. With their new lines, I unfortunately do not think it is likely.

Sailariel, I will try to to drop by for a visit when I am up in Maine visiting my family. Mom and two sibs are over near Fryeburg about 150 miles away. By Texas distances, you are practically neighbors.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Retired from 22 years USAF March 79 went into truck driving My 79 , Tuned my last log book and trip sheets in 1st week odf may 2005, I was told that when I returned from doing the extreame four corners tour that I was to call as soon as I got bck and hd time and I could go back to work: LOL I have not found time to do that. I stay busy riding shooting etc, and s rick says I do just about what I want to , Wife does her things & I do mine.

I missed my autobon military phone when I retired as I kept in touch with a lot of people that way. The cell phone has replaced that in recent years, as far as the trucks go Occassionally I miss the driving part of the job, but not all of the BS of dealing with dock receiving and shipping people! In the winter months I only have to go to the road cam's and view the white nasty stuff and see trucks pulled off in chain up areas to be very thankful that I am no longer having to go there, and do that! I kept my CDL until it expired four years ago. when I went in to renew the DMV guy told me I needed a new medical card and would have to retest for my hazmat certification, I laughed and said no way I am going through any of that again, just take that stuff off of my license and be sure you do not remove my MC endorsement.

Eldon

I graduated from HS in Kodiak, AK and stayed up there and fished commercially for serval years (salmon, halibut), then was a missionary down in southern Chile for 23 years. Came home because of my wife's cancer and started my own trucking company - (Bed Bugger) with 10 trucks. I have a million miles under my belt. I am now "retired" but busier than ever. When my wife passed away four years ago, I couldn't stay in the house looking at the walls, so got a "part time" job as skipper of a tourist boat here in Orlando. Sometimes I "work" 10 days at a stretch as it is the busy season but it's a fun, no stress job. I'm also the discipleship director at my church. Bottom line, I'm busier than I have ever been in my life and enjoying every minute of it. My dad, on the other hand, retired, sat on the rocking chair on the porch, and his brain went to mush. He died from Alzheimer's. I guess the moral of the story is not just staying busy, but having a purpose in life even in retirement.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Retirement is as different as there are different people. I am a "Data junkie"--- loved statistics courses in college. I also have a good memory. The retirerees who seem to have the least problems appear to be people who were in the "People professions"-- Clergy, Social Workers, Psychologists, Teachers, Law Enforcement, Military (More NCOs than Officers), Sales Representatives, and Medical Professionals like Nurses, PAs, etc.

I informally collected this data during our 14 year retirement cruising on our sailboat. It seemed like people involved with people on a constant basis did better than people who worked with things--like machines--engineers, etc. Of course there were exceptions. What I found was that more people oriented folks seemed happier being retired than those who worked with things.

I have no theory or reason to explain why I saw this trend.

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Wendell, I worry a little about getting Alzheimer's. I have always been a little absent minded. My wife, bless her heart (in the good sense, not that gentile southern curse :smile:), tells me not to worry because I do not have any problem remembering things that are important to me. Puzzle solving is supposed to be good. That's what I did in the Army and that is what I am doing over here (Saudi), except we call them maintenance problems. Playing a musical instrument is supposed to be good. I am an amateur (extremely amateur) classical guitarist.

On the other hand, Sailariel, I am not a people person. I was lucky in the Army. I had one of the few jobs where as a senior NCO, I was still a technician. For leadership time, I spent a year as a platoon sergeant in a unit where I usually did not have a platoon leader. I had to work pretty hard to be what I regarded as a merely average platoon sergeant.

As a side note, I have taken only one (required) General Statistics class in college. I remember remarking to the instructor that 37% (a nice statisicy number) of all statistics were made up on the spot. He looked at me and chuckled. About a third of the class got the joke. One third looked puzzled. You could almost see the rest nodding to themselves and saying, "That sounds about right". GAAH!

Another side note: you ever notice that orchestra conductors, especially the great ones, seem to live forever?

Sam, I have worked all my life. I know that I will not be able to just stop. I do not watch much television, especially when I am home. Most TV is dreck. I do tend to spend a lot of time in front of a computer though.

And to everyone here:
I found this site by accident when I was researching the NT. I wanted another motorcycle, but I was ambivalent about real, long distance touring. I mean, Texas is pretty large state. You can ride 800 miles (if you start in Beaumont and head for El Paso) and still be in Texas, so you are still just putting around the state. Maybe I was too old or something. But I have decided that I still have "... miles to go before I sleep".

So thank you all for the little nudge - a clear case of leadership by example - over the top.

John

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
I graduated from HS in Kodiak, AK and stayed up there and fished commercially for serval years (salmon, halibut), then was a missionary down in southern Chile for 23 years. Came home because of my wife's cancer and started my own trucking company - (Bed Bugger) with 10 trucks. I have a million miles under my belt. I am now "retired" but busier than ever. When my wife passed away four years ago, I couldn't stay in the house looking at the walls, so got a "part time" job as skipper of a tourist boat here in Orlando. Sometimes I "work" 10 days at a stretch as it is the busy season but it's a fun, no stress job. I'm also the discipleship director at my church. Bottom line, I'm busier than I have ever been in my life and enjoying every minute of it. My dad, on the other hand, retired, sat on the rocking chair on the porch, and his brain went to mush. He died from Alzheimer's. I guess the moral of the story is not just staying busy, but having a purpose in life even in retirement.
Do you know Captain Jacque from Kissimmee? He captains his own bass fishing boat.

Top Bottom