Less than one year to retirement and repatriation.

suvcw04: Thanks for the question but no, I don't know Captain Jacque. I do like to fish from my kayak, but the boat I skipper is a tour boat in the Winter Park Chain of lakes. Here is their web site:http://www.scenicboattours.com It is a great one hour tour - IMHO. By the way, my wife graduated from North High in Des Moines.

JohnC: Why not try Googling "How to prevent Alzheimer's". You will find a lot of good solid information (along with some fluff).

Sailariel: +1 on your analysis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
JohnC: Why not try Googling "How to prevent Alzheimer's".
Wendell, BTDTGTT (Been There, Done That, Got The T-shirt). Without sounding snarky, I would be an idiot not to find out everything I could about something I was even remotely worried about. OTH, there are people like that.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You are a very smart person.....
Linda and I did our turn in the barrel. She worked for 43 years for the East Baton Rouge City-Parish in Purchasing. I did a total of 38 years (after taking out 3 years going to LSU to finish my BS degree) in engineering and construction, mainly at power plants, chemical plants and refineries.
We were both ready to retire. She worked for three years after I retired. We get along fine, no problems. I do my things, she does hers. And sometimes we do things together.
The secret is to give each other some space to do our own thing.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Sam, I would agree with you that there are many type A people that are better off working than retiring, or at least working part time.....
My dad retired the same age as I did...55...he was quite lost for awhile....then he and mom started traveling, which they couldnt do when he worked.....

But many of us here are not that kind of personality, I think. I shoot competitively and for fun and the casting and reloading and load development take up lots of time, but basically
when I retired, I lost all my free time. I had to give up home brewing, canoeing and fishing....but the biggest thing I lost was stress. Some people thrive on it....my job was very stressful
and when I retired, it was like a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders. The first day of retirement was kind of an odd feeling...but after 5 minutes I knew I made the right decision.
With the stress gone, I am much healthier and in good shape cause I now have time to exersise. I take 8 trips a year and camp out 20-30 days a year. When people ask me what I do with
"all that free time" I now have, I tell them, YOU try and take 8 trips a year minimum and see what happens...you plan for a trip, take the trip, come home and play catchup, and repeat.
Add to that chasing all those interests I had that there was no way I could do when I worked....and I have a love of learning....
I feel sorry for those that leave work and go home to die, or those Type As that try to retire and dont know what to do with themselves.....me, I wish there were three more touring months in the summer and
there were 4 more hours in every day....
(My wife just retired....she is now busier than ever, dog training, teaching dog training, putting on dog shows, attending dog shows, putting on seminars, attending seminars, writing dog periodical newsletters, etc.
She is kind of a type A as when we go camping, she cant sit still and watch the sunset...she has to be moving all the time, walking the dogs, socializing, etc....but she is happy)

I have nightmares about two things.....being in college again and having to go back to work!
Good luck John! The last 1,000 days of work, I made a calender and every day I would cross out one more day till retirement. Now I guess they have count down timers...times change! Just think....soon you will have a bike and you can point it
in any direction and ask yourself, "I wonder where I will be staying tonight!"
(My wife and I get along even better in retirement than when we worked....we make a calander, let each other know when we will be home or away, and enjoy each other when we are together, and enjoy our friends and activities when we are apart.
She doesnt want to see no stinking air racing and I can only do about one dog show a year....it works out perfectly!:smile:

I hope to work till the day I die.

Retirement is a paradigm shock to lots of unprepared people.

You can only fish so much and the same with motorcycle riding, wood working, RVing, etc-etc.

If you are a person full of energy (class A personality) then to go from a work life full of challenges that is busy all the time to almost nothing can be a real shock.

I retired in 1992 with a HUGE monthly income, Motorcycles, boat in the Marina, Motorhome with time-shares, FFL Gun store and lots of hobbies but I was still bored sick. We also at the same time owned a computer typesetting, Graphic-arts and printing business and that helped the boredom but my wife mostly ran that. Now, if I was a 'tired' type, introverted person, maybe it would have been easier on me. What really saved me was my competitive shooting and reloading, my dualsport/ adventure rides into the local mountains and my every other day excursions on my past Goldwing or my custom HD dresser that I had at the time. These things kept me occupied enough to keep me sane. I also have a very loving and supportive family and my FAITH always puts a smile on my face!!!!!!!

Be prepared for your retired years because it will be a big change in your life---believe me!

I worked 70-80 hours per week, flew all over the U.S. and still drove 60,000 per year in my job and I was happy with that.

The first MONDAY after a person retires is really tough, when you realize that SOMETHING has got to keep you busy and satisfy you.

Many recent retirees have marital problems because the two people are all of a sudden spending every hour and day with each other and some find that this situation is a whole lot different than just seeing someone in the morning and then at night.

Enjoy your upcoming retirement:)

Sam:)

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
The last 1,000 days of work, I made a calender and every day I would cross out one more day till retirement.
I have never done that. In the Army, when I transferred or retired, I made all sorts of lists to make sure I did not forget something, but I never made a short-timer's calendar. And I will not do that now. Right now, I do not have 358 days to go. I have a little less than a year. If I start counting days, time is going to start dragging.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, I'm looking forward to Reno 2014. Can I get into your section and camp with you? Please, please, pretty please???!!!

Bike
2010 NT700V
Retirement just means a different list of chores.
I just got through changing the thermostat on my wife's 2000 Honda Civic. Darn thing is on the backside of the engine, right next to the waterpump in the hose leading to the BOTTOM of the radiator. Tight quarters and you have to bend your knees the opposite direction from what they want to. Luckily, the old one stuck open. No heat from the heater, but at least it didn't melt down.

As Rosanna Rosannadanna said, "It's always something.:

tawilke46

I just got through changing the thermostat on my wife's 2000 Honda Civic. Darn thing is on the backside of the engine, right next to the waterpump in the hose leading to the BOTTOM of the radiator.
I changed a water pump on an old Civic, can't remember what year, somewhere in the '80's.
My hands and arms looked like hamburger after I got finished...........absolutely no room to work on those things.

Sorry about the hijack!
To keep on topic..........this occured waaaaaaaay before I retired.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I changed a water pump on an old Civic, can't remember what year, somewhere in the '80's.
My hands and arms looked like hamburger after I got finished...........absolutely no room to work on those things.

Sorry about the hijack!
I questioned the marital status of the parents of whoever decided to put the thermostat where they did. Probably the father or grandfather of whoever decided to bury the NT's service parts. The water pump would be about 10 times more "fun". Oh well, the skin on my knuckles will grow back. My knees will never be the same.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Retirement just means a different list of chores.
I just got through changing the thermostat on my wife's 2000 Honda Civic. Darn thing is on the backside of the engine, right next to the waterpump in the hose leading to the BOTTOM of the radiator. Tight quarters and you have to bend your knees the opposite direction from what they want to. Luckily, the old one stuck open. No heat from the heater, but at least it didn't melt down.

As Rosanna Rosannadanna said, "It's always something.:

Sorry about the hijack!

That is why I don't work on cars. To big, heavy and hard to get to the affected parts. Only work on bikes. Mostly my bikes. And to keep with the retirement theme, I am now retired and have the time to do it, but no money to waste at a shop. Speaking of time and no money, I will be doing a valve check and adjustment on my ST1300 starting tomorrow.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Of course you can camp with me! And we would love to have you sit with us....right now, Reno 2013 is a go and I am about to buy my tickets (I just do this to help them out...you never have to buy them in advance)
I will know more if there will be a Reno 2014 when I visit Oshkosh this summer and stop by the Reno Air Races booth, though I suspect they wont tell me much if they are planning on ending it. They probably wont make that
announcement till the end of this year's races or even after.....
Our little piece of Heaven.....

Chris, I'm looking forward to Reno 2014. Can I get into your section and camp with you? Please, please, pretty please???!!!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Well, I am a list maker for sure...and will always be one! :eek: The calander was theroputic for me.....I loved the people I worked with but I needed out of the stress. I would come in on Monday and check off two days at once!!!!! But the reality was the last year really flew by....
I have never done that. In the Army, when I transferred or retired, I made all sorts of lists to make sure I did not forget something, but I never made a short-timer's calendar. And I will not do that now. Right now, I do not have 358 days to go. I have a little less than a year. If I start counting days, time is going to start dragging.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
While there is nothin' like Reno, I do look forward to my time at Oshkosh....I camp out with a bunch of pilots and aviation accident engineers, etc....very interesting people to talk with....and people to listen to...here , last year, a mem
ber of the Enola Gay crew lectures about his life in the ETO and in the Pacific.....
Oshkosh is also on my bucket list.

jackgermain

Im glad someone gets to retire. i'll probably work til the day I die
I'm along the same thoughts as you. Only three things stopping me from full retirement: 1. Money 2. Money 3. Money

bicyclist

Times have sure changed. Defined benefit pensions have nearly disappeared, to be replaced by self funded 401k plans. People are not maxing out their plans and a lot of folks are going to be hurting when it comes time to retire. Social security isn't enough to live on.

My wife and I are among the lucky. We'll each have a modest pension when she retires, each have SS and we've also paid into savings plans. We're not wealthy by any means, but I think we'll have enough to get by because we have a modest life style.

Bike
Silver NT700V
We have been defined contribution (401K) for ever. The big change came in the late 80's when there was an accounting change. The change required companies to record the liability of pensions out to 30 years. It was an eye opener for most. Before that they only had to record liability for the coming year.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You and your wife sound like my Barb and I. My "pension" is $289 a month. But I get social security and our parents taught us how to save and how to make money and keep it....if one lives modestly and stays out of the debt trap, one can save for retirement.
One word of encouragement for those that dont think they can retire. If you go into retirement debt free, and you are not paying lots of nasty payroll taxes anymore, it costs less than you think it would to live. Unfortunately, saving money and not getting taxed on your social security is getting harder and harder to do....

Times have sure changed. Defined benefit pensions have nearly disappeared, to be replaced by self funded 401k plans. People are not maxing out their plans and a lot of folks are going to be hurting when it comes time to retire. Social security isn't enough to live on.

My wife and I are among the lucky. We'll each have a modest pension when she retires, each have SS and we've also paid into savings plans. We're not wealthy by any means, but I think we'll have enough to get by because we have a modest life style.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Unfortunately retirement is something you have to plan for 20 years ago. Hard to do when you have kids at home and get through college. That was the one biggest benefit to the military. Glad I stuck it out and did not get sucked in by higher paying civilian jobs. Then I got to have a second "career" at the higher paying level so can retire in a couple of years.

FWIW, many military retirees cannot live on just their pension either. But, combination of SS and military makes it doable.

Top Bottom