Lights aren’t working after replacing them, cleaning starter, checking fuses

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
"Fuses can sometimes look good but still be faulty."

So true, Mike. This one got me early on in my NT days. I took a trip up to Twisted Throttle for an open house and my GPS was acting flaky the whole way, powering off and on. I was scratching my head because the fuse looked good and my wiring was solid. I got talking to one of the TT techs. He came out and grabbed the fuse and took it into the shop. A few minutes later he was back with a new fuse. He replaced the fuse in my fuseblock and that fixed it, even though the original fuse looked fine! I wouldn't have guessed it in a million years. He had seen fuses like this in the past, so wasn't surprised.

I don't know that he tested the fuse, per se, so I'm not sure it supports your argument of testing components, but fuses are cheap, so no harm/no foul in replacing it.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
"Fuses can sometimes look good but still be faulty."

So true, Mike. This one got me early on in my NT days. I took a trip up to Twisted Throttle for an open house and my GPS was acting flaky the whole way, powering off and on. I was scratching my head because the fuse looked good and my wiring was solid. I got talking to one of the TT techs. He came out and grabbed the fuse and took it into the shop. A few minutes later he was back with a new fuse. He replaced the fuse in my fuseblock and that fixed it, even though the original fuse looked fine! I wouldn't have guessed it in a million years. He had seen fuses like this in the past, so wasn't surprised.

I don't know that he tested the fuse, per se, so I'm not sure it supports your argument of testing components, but fuses are cheap, so no harm/no foul in replacing it.
Yup! I've been thrown for a loop before by fuses that look good thru the view window but had opened where you couldn't see it. I've had relays that clicked but wouldn't complete a circuit because the contact tab had fallen off and had a dual filament light bulb... an 1157 IIRC where the stop lamp filament melted but then shorted against the taillamp element giving you the illusion the bulb was good when it wasn't.

Mike

Top Bottom