Liking the national cycle V-stream

The cone of silence went away! Did a 300 mile loop with some friends today, and I was getting turbulence and buffeting the whole ride. Gave me a big headache on the highway. Here's the thing: I rode the entire trip behind my buddy on his Road King. One the way home, after he took his exit, I rode the last 10 miles by myself and I swear the turbulence went away almost completely. Is it really possible that a motorcycle in front of me could create that much turbulence and buffeting?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
How close to him were you? I'd bet if you'd keep 40-50 yards behind him, you wouldn't have that turbulence.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I don't know about turbulence, but the Road King can generate a LOT of noise. I rode to NC several years ago with a buddy who had a Road King with straight pipes. After about 100 miles I told him that I wanted to lead the way.... the noise was deafening.

Mike

How close to him were you? I'd bet if you'd keep 40-50 yards behind him, you wouldn't have that turbulence.
I don't think I was that close. Hard to judge that kind of thing on the highway. I was at what I considered a safe distance - probably could count the ol' one-one thousand, maybe two-one thousand. In fact, when we stopped, the guy on the road king (which was indeed loud) commented that I needed to be closer since we were riding in a staggered formation and so the other 3 guys in the group could keep up. I replied that I was at what I considered a safe distance, that staggered formation didn't matter with regards to distance, and that there is no need to "bunch up" on a freeway. Maybe going through lights or whatever. . . Anyway, there were several "tips" said on this ride that had me rolling my eyes, but that's another subject. I was just happy to be on the only quiet bike and, although I'm just getting back to riding after years off, being able to get up the mountain at an easy pace and still having to wait a few minutes at the top for the other guys to catch up. Loving the NT!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
FYI, GF removed the V-Stream... that barn-door caused too much Unruhe around other vehicles like vans, coaches or semis...

she mounted her GIVI screen again

plays well with the post '08 height adjustment...

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
some one should try putting the Goldwing windscreen vent on the V stream :)

Top Bottom