Lithium Motorcycle Batteries...

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Going to the twilight zone of the motorcycle battery world. Ever since I got the NT I've had problems starting it after it sits in cold weather for more than a few days, never had any problems with my 600 inline 4's so I'm hoping the extra 80 to 110 cold cranking amps will help in 30 degree weather? Got a good deal on the WPS Firepower Lithium Battery $104 from MotoMummy just hope it last longer than the lead acid batteries and starts better in the cold? Pic

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Daryl, I thought the lithium batteries had more problems when it's cold. Hope I'm wrong!

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Daryl, I thought the lithium batteries had more problems when it's cold. Hope I'm wrong!
Yeah Phil I heard that too, don't make much sense they have alot more cold cranking amps.? I will find out and let you know what I think there's a few cold nights left this season.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Lithium batteries can be affected by severe cold temperatures (below freezing) which prevents them from releasing the energy (current) of the battery until the battery is at a warmer temperature.

The simple fix is to simply turn on a headlight for a few minutes and this will “warm” the battery allowing it to release enough current to run the starter motor.

As the headlight on the NT700 comes on when you turn on the key, the NT700 should be a good match for a lithium battery in cold weather.

Seagrass

Last edited:
OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Lithium batteries can be affected by sever cold temperatures (below freezing) which prevents them from releasing the energy (current) of the battery until the battery is at a warmer temperature.

The simple fix is to simply turn on a headlight for a few minutes and this will “warm” the battery allowing it to release enough current to run the starter motor.

As the headlight on the NT700 comes on when you turn on the key, the NT700 should be a good match for a lithium battery in cold weather.

Seagrass
Yeah I read about running the head light for a minute or so before hitting the starter button so I planed on trying that with temps below 40.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
CCA is rated at zero degrees Fahrenheit. Lithium batteries don’t like extreme cold at all. But they deliver more power and weigh much less. You probably don’t ride when it’s really cold anyway.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
CCA is rated at zero degrees Fahrenheit. Lithium batteries don’t like extreme cold at all. But they deliver more power and weigh much less. You probably don’t ride when it’s really cold anyway.
I don't ride below 30 degrees. but sometimes in the Winter when I can't ride I like to start it up temps in the 20's.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Lithium batteries do not like the temperatures below freezing and get worse in sub-zero temperatures. Cars like Tesla have heaters built into the battery pads to keep them within their comfortable operating zone. This uses the battery's power, so it will affect the overall range and performance in sub-zero temperatures.

A lithium motorcycle would be ideal for my climate zone as it hardly gets below 33 on the coldest day of winter. The battery types are significantly more costly when compared to AGM batteries.

I am just saying do not be surprised if you are not getting the performance you are looking for.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
At least to me, the biggest advantage of the Li batteries are the small size and light weight. In a 550+ lb street bike, the removal of 5 pounds is hardly noticeable nor is the addition of extra space around the battery. Besides the negative points made above, they are PRICEY when compared to a "normal" battery.

I could see them being used to great advantage on race bikes/car but the NT700V doesn't fit into that category.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My son put 2 small lithium batteries into the 1969 Bronco he made into a rock crawler with a high compression V8 about 12 - 15 years ago. He no longer owns the machine but the batteries are still in there. While he had it he used the electric winch and the on-board welder a lot to make repairs on the trail. The old Bronco took a LOT of abuse (including the electrical system which fan 2 Porsche fans for the radiator) and the batteries are still in there. They perform
well. DSCN0300.jpeg

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Your mileage may vary, as the saying goes, but my experience with a Lithium in the NT was a bust. Too many cold no starts, I went back to a Yuasa OEM after 2 seasons.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
At least to me, the biggest advantage of the Li batteries are the small size and light weight. In a 550+ lb street bike, the removal of 5 pounds is hardly noticeable nor is the addition of extra space around the battery. Besides the negative points made above, they are PRICEY when compared to a "normal" battery.

I could see them being used to great advantage on race bikes/car but the NT700V doesn't fit into that category.
There is a good application in the smaller size Lithium Battery for the NT. You can use the more powerful YTX20CH replacement the HJTX20CH-Firepower WPS Lithium Battery its the same size as the OEM Yuasa for the NT you get more amp hour and 50 more CCA total of 360 CCA I thought about it but didn't want to spend a extra $35(especially not knowing if I was going to like the Lithium Batteries). Also the Lithium Battery HJTZ14S-FP that I got will fit in the NT battery box up right instead of on it's side and fits really well, however the terminals are backwards, if I would have know this before I placed my order I would have got the battery with the terminals switched.
As for value this Lithium Battery should last me about twice as long and if it don't give me a fit starting in 30 degree weather I'll be happy with the$104 I spent.
As for the weight that really don't mean nothing to me its not going to make the bike handle better, like I allways said to the guys back in the racing days that was worried about a few pounds I would say the best way to make the bike lighter was for them to just go on a diet.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Your mileage may vary, as the saying goes, but my experience with a Lithium in the NT was a bust. Too many cold no starts, I went back to a Yuasa OEM after 2 seasons.
Should of ask you about this subject before I bought one, oh well I'll see if my mileage varies.......

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I am just saying do not be surprised if you are not getting the performance you are looking for.[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know, but if it's works ok for me I'll let you know and if it don't I'll still let you know.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
My son put 2 small lithium batteries into the 1969 Bronco he made into a rock crawler with a high compression V8 about 12 - 15 years ago. He no longer owns the machine but the batteries are still in there. While he had it he used the electric winch and the on-board welder a lot to make repairs on the trail. The old Bronco took a LOT of abuse (including the electrical system which fan 2 Porsche fans for the radiator) and the batteries are still in there. They perform
well. DSCN0300.jpeg
Hey That's a cool looking Machine!

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
You need to be certain your charger is suitable for the chemistry as well. New stuff...

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
You need to be certain your charger is suitable for the chemistry as well. New stuff...
Typically batteries such as these have a BMS (Battery Management System) that monitors and manages all the cell voltages and balances them all. This helps to keep the battery’s drainage and charging levels equal. They basically take care of themselves.

Never pierce a Lithium Ion battery if it can be avoided. They will catch fire or cause an explosion.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
You can use the more powerful YTX20CH replacement the HJTX20CH-Firepower WPS Lithium Battery its the same size as the OEM Yuasa...
I don't get why they're doing this in the first place:
use all the avail space to give you actual reserves instead of "hey, we're producing it in 1/3rd of the size to barely meet your original capacity..."
Over here we've real winters, hence being grounded for a couple of months can occur... during which a conventional battery frequently dies/eats itself if left unattended...
I would go the Li-Io route if those would survive up to 3~4 months in the garage... (and all the safety issues are fixed...)

On the larger scale I think we're getting fooled and shortchanged by lobbyists and industry...
Back in the 90ies my ST batteries would easily lasted 5~6 years (car batteries ~10 years)...
Now with all the RoHS everything must be low toxic directives, one rates himself lucky to see 2 years of any automotive battery...
and I fail to see how this increased circle of mining<>production<>waste should be environmental friendlier in at all... (except keeping shareholders happy...)
So besides a significantly larger capacity, I'd also like to see a noticeable increased lifetime on those Li-Io batteries, especially over the problematic mining of rare ores involved...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
JustPassingThru - I believe both the NC700X and NT700V take the exact same battery, according to the Honda parts microfiche. At least it does for my 2013 NC700X.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Was your "half-millimeter taller" comment a belated April Fool's Joke? :rofl1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom