MABDR on Honda NT700

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
HI Everyone, I am planning to do MABRD (or a part of it) next year). I was wondering if anyone has done something similar on the NT700?

I know this is more of an offroad / trails kind of deal and NT700 (With all its plastic) doesn't look like the bike to do it, but I could be wrong...

thoughts ....

eift: corrected to MABRD (https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/)

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sorry to be uninformed, but what is the MABDR? Personally, I wouldn't do any primarily offroad / trails kind of ride on an NT. I don't mind stretches of well-maintained dirt or even some gravel, but if I were riding primarily on those surfaces, the NT, as much as I love mine, would not be my choice. When JungleJim and I rode to Alaska in '13, we decided that we would not ride to Prudhoe Bay on our plastic NTs. We did ride several stretches of gravel, including one fairly long stretch of large gravel in the rain, without any significant difficulty.

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Sorry to be uninformed, but what is the MABDR? Personally, I wouldn't do any primarily offroad / trails kind of ride on an NT. I don't mind stretches of well-maintained dirt or even some gravel, but if I were riding primarily on those surfaces, the NT, as much as I love mine, would not be my choice. When JungleJim and I rode to Alaska in '13, we decided that we would not ride to Prudhoe Bay on our plastic NTs. We did ride several stretches of gravel, including one fairly long stretch of large gravel in the rain, without any significant difficulty.

Thanks... will research more about the road condition... but I was also tilting on buying another ADV bike ..

MABRD : https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/

NABRD route is also under consturction ...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Looks like a neat ride...for people with strong and working knees. Probably not one I'd take, no matter what bike I had. But, back in the day, I would have loved it.

Enjoy!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have seen a youtube video of a guy in Europe with adventure type tires doing some mild off-road stuff; I think the bike could do it, but i would worry about the panniers surviving a rough trek

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
As good as the NT is for just about everything, I don't recommend it for this ride.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I rode my NT in the dirt because the road I was on got increasing worse for 10 miles and I was too stubborn to quit and it did OK. BUT (here it comes) I don't recommend it. First I wouldn't go off road without off road tires. Air pressure should be reduced for better control BUT that increases the likelihood of damaging a rim. The NT handles OK BUT it isn't very good at falling down without damage. Short answer - you're asking for trouble.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
On the right bike that may be a great ride. I would not enjoy it on the NT.
My only rough road experience on the NT is the rutted drive to my cabin. Only did it a couple times and was fearful of it falling over at the gate while stopped on a hill and breaking plastic.
On the other hand the KLX250 I had made the rutted drive fun.

Brad

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
The version of the NT that would be suited for this ride wasn't released stateside, the XL700V Transalp. Plastics breaking are one thing, but my main concern would be lack of an engine guard and skid plate. You take those exhaust headers over a good size rock or something, game over.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Since I seem to ride on gravel often, I going to try a 80/20 tire on next set. I road H-58 Grand Marais to it became pavement. Sand and sand and sand on that first section. I also got lost in PA and road down some Rocks (it may be called gravel but is was large rocks).

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I road H-58 Grand Marais to it became pavement. Sand and sand and sand on that first section.
Tom, how long ago? Are you talking about H58 from Grand Marais west to Munesing or east to Pine Stump. I don't think the eastern part is called H58 but it is very very very sandy.

HI Everyone, I am planning to do MABRD (or a part of it) next year). I was wondering if anyone has done something similar on the NT700?

I know this is more of an offroad / trails kind of deal and NT700 (With all its plastic) doesn't look like the bike to do it, but I could be wrong...

thoughts ....

eift: corrected to MABRD (https://ridebdr.com/mabdr/)
I found the NT700V to be terrible on anything but pavement, but I am using street tires. I tried to drive it across grass fields a couple of times, and it just sinks into the dirt because of its weight, and has no traction with street tires. I drove it down a gravel road a few times, and it slides all over the place, most likely because of street tires. I bought a Kawasaki Versys and it has been a good "everything" bike. About 50/50, not great on the highway, but OK, will do 100mph no problem, not great off road, a little heavy at 380lbs, that puts it half the weight of the NT, but you won't eat it in 5 minutes offroad like you will with the NT because the weight is half as much and its definitely sure footed on gravel roads. I installed 50/50 tires, Shenko 705 Big Blocks. I have been told by everyone that blocky tires are best for both offroad and street. They do just fine on the streets and you only really feels the blocks at low speed.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The NT700V was designed for paved roads. Looking at the pictures in some case they were totally off road. A dual sport or adventure touring bike would be a far better selection.

Warren is right. I have learned with motorcycles you just can't have everything, so I have my street NT700V for that, and my Versys-X 300 for the Adventure riding. The Versys is a perfect in the middle bike, and there are plenty on the Adventure class now, but its about in the middle between a heavier street bike, and a lightweight dirt bike. I can say this. Weight is everything when you are offroading and the tires are right up there, as the two most important issues you face.

I use the Versys for back-country riding here in Texas. The problem you find here, and I would imagine you will run into the same, is that most of the time, the roads are good enough, old pavement and gravel that any bike can make it. Its the 10% of that back road that you hit suddenly has deep ruts or has big pond suddenly in the middle of it, is where you will want the blocky tires. In those scenarios you want to get up some speed and "power" through the sand, mud, or water, whatever there is in your way. Street tires will just spin, and then because of the increased weight, say with the NT, you cannot push your way out with your feet, and thats when you have to get off the bike and push it through mud or whatever getting covered in it.

You could try and put blocky tires on the NT and that would take care of traction issues but you will greatly sacrifice a nice smooth highway ride, and it won't be good for that anymore, and further more, all the offroad adventure tires where down super fast on pavement and usually have a softer compound also to improve grip. You can expect about 5000 miles per set of those kinds of tires. The pavement wears the blocks off pretty quick but its a super night and day difference though on these country gravel backroads. Feels very "grippy" on gravel roads.

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Thanks everyone, I am thinking of a R1200GS since most less-paved roads are considerable paved road distance away from me ... reviews say it is good for both street/long distances and off-road (not good for trails though). It is heavy though but built like a tank ...

Still on the fence with this...

As Phil said, get those miles done till I have working knees...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
ASK, are you a big strong guy? If not, the R1200GS may not be the bike for you, either. They are really heavy. I'd look at something mid-sized, like an F800GS if you really need a BMW, or a Triumph Tiger 800. Or a Versys 650.

So since I bought the adventure bike, a 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 with the Ninja 300 engine in it, its a little screamer. I shouldn't say little because its a full size bike with a little engine. The bike weighs 380 lbs and is about the same size as the Kawsaki Versys 650, which weighs 450 lbs. Now here is the interesting part. Its as fast as all the 650-1000 single piston adventure bikes, and the Ninja engine is a twin cylinder. I outrun most of the big single cylinder bikes so much, last time they told me to stay back because I was really showing up the single cylinder guys who were on big heavy 1000's and I was just as fast! However, I have been told that single cylinder is what you want for off road because of low end torque and its good for climbing steep angles but if your mostly riding street, not good for that. So my thinking is, if most of your riding is going to be lets say 80% road, and 20% dirt/gravel roads, look for a lighter twin cylinder bike. It has all the top end you want from a street bike and is just "good enough" for off road, as I can tell you for sure, the single cylinder bikes just don't cut it for anything over 65+ mph or so on the street for long distances.
Also when we do get stuck, the big adventure bikes catch hell. We have to hook a tow strap to some of those bikes to pull them out of mud. My opinion is you are asking for it taking a 600lb bike into any kind of mud because you won't get out by yourself easily if you lose your speed and come to a stop.

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Agreed on the weight guys, so this is my challenge... most semi-offroad / trails are far from NJ (trans NJ and Pine Barens are the closest), so I need a bike that can do good distance on road and then handle simple trails (I am not talking hard core off-road).

In India, I had a Pulsar 180 (180cc, single cylinder, ~320lb) which i rode everywhere and long distances. Any suggestions on some thing similar but in higher capacity/cc ? I will further explore Versys and its brethren..

1567781011613.jpeg

1567781179346.jpeg

The Versys-X 300 is an Indian bike. It it made in India using Japanese 300 Ninja engine and is a street bike with some off road capabilities and is the most powerful small CC adventure bike at 40HP for 380lbs and thats why I bought it. It runs up to 100mph on the highways with no problem and I do go down the highway and then duck off onto gravel service roads. Mostly oil well and powerline roads, and I have had no issues, however when I hooked up with the Adventure Riders club here in Texas, and those guys are hard core off road riders, I had to switch out the 80/20 dual sport tires to Shenko Big Block 705s which are 50/50 and I can tell you , its made a world of difference for off road, however, I can tell its not as good highway now, not as smooth especially at low speeds you feels the knobs, but like we are all saying here, you just cannot win with a motorcycle. Everything is going to be a trade off.

I will say Kawasaki Versys strikes a good balance. I have had some guys tell me though that if I wanted to do the Baja 500 or some really long Adventure race you want the bigger bike and I cannot for the life of me understand why. They don't get any better top end, and yeh the bikes are bigger and heavier, but what is the advantage really?

More power on the low end maybe, but the Versys 1st gear is a granny gear and its like a tractor in that gear and you can easily start off in 2nd. That first gear however, I can power up steep hills 30% grade in first and go 3mph right up the hill , no problem, so I think Kawasaki figured out how to gear a twin cylinder bike to offset the low end torque capabilities of the bigger single cylinder bikes.

The Versys also has a big fuel tank. I think mine is almost 4 gallons and I am getting about 60 miles per gallon. BMW just came out with an equivalent small CC adventure bike, a little bit better styling and it definitely has better ground clearance, and I will say clearance has been an issue, but I installed a engine guard under the bike which was needed. I have hit that guard and bottomed out the bike so many time now on tree limbs, bridges, just all kinds of stuff I didn't really see, but you know it when you hit it. Certainly get an engine guard and also side guards. The price I think on BMW is about $8k and the Versys 300 is $5k.

Also there is a ton of debate about whether or not ABS. BMW did allot of testing and found full time ABS which the Versys has, and cannot be switched off, they found it safer even on dirt. Allot of people disagree with that, and it is annoying on dirt because it "ratchets" a ton because of slippage and you cannot turn it off. If ABS is your thing some adventure bike like KTM will have a switch to turn ABS on and off on the fly. I wish I had that feature.

Look at my videos on Youtube. Here is the link. This was the last two adventure rides I did and you will see every kind of bike and you be the judge. Watch my top end on the Kawasaki on the second video in Juntion Tx. We did hit 90mph on the highway prior to hitting the ranch roads. I eat it at the end and the rollbars worked wonders and also I upgrade the shifter to a spring loaded break away shifter which saved my gearbox in that wreck. Propped the bike up and went on about my merry way.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Agreed on the weight guys, so this is my challenge... most semi-offroad / trails are far from NJ (trans NJ and Pine Barens are the closest), so I need a bike that can do good distance on road and then handle simple trails (I am not talking hard core off-road).

In India, I had a Pulsar 180 (180cc, single cylinder, ~320lb) which i rode everywhere and long distances. Any suggestions on some thing similar but in higher capacity/cc ? I will further explore Versys and its brethren..

1567781011613.jpeg

1567781179346.jpeg
Two bikes that come to mind for your situation would be the Suzuki V-Strom and the Kawi Versys, both in 650 flavors. Either would be a good Highway bike to get you to the trails and either would be good on the trails when u get to 'em. A third bike just occured to me and that would be the Honda CB500X.

Mike

Top Bottom