MABDR on Honda NT700

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Not really related, but seeing those photos of the Pulsar in India reminded me of a Youtube episode that I thought was great. Two guys rented Pulsars and took them to the Himalayas. Local rider guided them around India. I don't think you need to be an "Adventure Rider" to enjoy it. It is over an hour long, but I liked all of it.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I would hate to make recommendations because this kind of thing can be so personal, but If I was looking for a smaller dual sport to do trails and what not, I would avoid new since those kind of bikes are likely to take naps. I would be looking at craigslist and try to find something that already had some upgrades like seat, skid plate, and what not. Most of the cheaper dual sports have certain typical upgrades and they are a lot cheaper when somebody else puts them on the bike for you. I don't even want to know how much money I spent on stuff for my old DR650. The seat concepts seat was really worth it though.

The Kawasaki off road stuff was garbage. When I bought my 2017 Versys-X 300 because it was a new bike that year, right then at the dealer, I paid extra for the front rollcage, hand guards and trunk for the rear. The trunk was $800, and thats the only thing thats not garbage but I quickly replaced it with a Pelican box I bolted to the rear because the fancy trunk is painted. The hand guards are OK but the minute I hit tree limbs with them, the screws came out, and they are special cam style screws, so I have wire ties holding them on now. The roll cage bent first time I went down at 20mph, and I bent it back by hand right there on the track.

I went ahead and bought the 4 point Givi roll cage after that, Kawasaki is just two point, and the Givi its way way better, thicker and dual mount points both sides, and also has a front rollbar that wraps around the front end over the headlamp so if I hit a tree limb headon should save my front and the light. Kawasaki does not make an under carriage engine guard which is a must for the Versys 300 because they routed the exhaust under the bike, not off to the side. Kawasaki claimed this was done for rider comfort to make the bike less hot. I can agree with that, however, first time you bottom out your may bend the exhaust. I bought the T-Rex undercarriage and its well built. I have teetered the bike back and forth over big rock, logs, ruts, and I went across a homemade bridge on a track that was made from a metal shipping container where they removed the front and rear doors, pretty neat idea however, they didn't build up the dirt going up into the container and the exhaust, thankfully covered by the T-Rex undercarriage just slammed into steel container threshold and it threw the bike up a foot with me on it, and just nicked my paint on the guard. Felt like someone took a sledgehammer to the bottom of the bike when I hit it.

If you are not good off road and because these bikes heavy weight , plan on going down in loose gravel and so forth, so you want all the dress up gear and guards on your bike and also wear good Kevlar with pads. DO NOT SKIMP ON THE GEAR. In all those videos you see those guys are covered head to toe in Kevlar. In all cases I have gone down, about 3 times now, speeds anywhere from 20 to 50 mph hours, I have just skidded on my sides along with the bike and I just get up and dust myself off. If I had been wearing jeans and a shirt, I would probably have some nice road rash.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Ryan at FortNine has a review of the Versys X300 as only Ryan can do them. He also compares it to the Honda CRF250L dual sport. Ryan cut his teeth in Canada riding off road so he is pretty competent in this area.

His review is pretty spot on. I had no problem at all, keeping up with the 650 and 1000's, and I mean none. They were not going to outrun me. The Ninja engine truly is a work of art. Its like a Swiss clock, no vibration. You can rev it all the way to the limiter at 12000rpm which is insane. The dash is great, tells you what gear your in, has the most I have seen as far as telling you everything on a dash, but I have to wear bifocals to see some of the numbers, so it could be bigger, and brighter. Full time ABS , I would also like a selector to turn on and off, but ABS works very well. He is right it has no low end torque which is why I am told the single piston engines are better off road. Kawasaki made up for this by putting in a unusually low granny gear as 1st. So low, than in most cases I was starting in 2nd when keeping up with the bigger bikes because the 1st is to low and you will jump to 2nd within 5mph. So I cannot actually see putting in a larger tooth sprocket like he was saying. The granny is so low, that when I first got the bike I went up a pretty steep hill maybe 30% and stood up on the pegs and just climbed up the hill maybe 200ft like a tractor, probably doing 3mph, and you were not going to bog it down. Top end on the bike is great, you can do 100mph and keep up on an Interstate all day if you want, but the seat will start hurting. I have had some great crosswinds catch me at 70mph on the highway, and the bike, it rides on rails. It doesn't get pushed over a lane at all, but instead leans into the wind automatically, so the fairing, they must have wind tunnel tested it. It works very well.

Here are my complaints and Ryan did share this in the video. The two large silver plastic fairing pieces on each side of the tank are hollow, and I would say have about as much hollow space each side as two 12 oz cans of Coke end to end, each side, and thats a pretty good wasted space. What I wouldn't give for that to have been some kind of storage. I have been looking at way to make it into storage but because of its odd shape, I haven't found anything yet. This bike has zero storage, except for a little square space under the seat about the size of a pack of cigarettes and I keep the registration in there and a little longer narrow path next to it where I keep the toolkit, which it does come with a decent tool kit.

Interesting enough Ryan also touched on the suspension. Its about 5 inches of travel, which is not much, but apparently its progressive rate. So I am out offroading in the Sam Houston National forest with it, and a guy that I am with has the bigger VStrom, I think its a 1000, and its an impressive bike , but then again, we are back to the big heavy bikes and he did complain about its weight when we were out there. So we road hard just hammering it down a gravel road with some dirt piles , and ruts, and some sand, and I have no problem keeping up, and we get to the end of this road, its probably a couple of miles, and my buddy is complaining about the Vstrom bottoming out, and how he wishes he had more travel. Its probably once again the weight is the issue. I cannot under state how many times guys with bigger Adventure bikes complain about the weight and tell me they would go smaller next time.

The VStrom has more travel, I don't know what, I think its liike 8 inches or so, and I was like, "what are you talking about" and he says "you didn't bottom out''? Well if I did, I didn't feel it, so in my mind, I didn't. Anyhow, I think it could use a bit more of travel, at least it SEEMS like it could use more, but then again, maybe I haven't been riding it hard enough yet to find out and maybe its not needed as the weight is 1/3 that of a 650, 1/2 of a 1000.

Also, my biggest issue, and this gets back to what we are really talking about here with the big bore vs small bore Adventure bikes, and thats weight. I am not a big guy, out of shape, office worker IT guy, and I am 5'8" 180lbs, and 30 inch inseem, so not long legs, and at 380lbs. Its STILL too heavy. I cannot for the life of me wonder why anyone would want a 500lb+ bike for offroad. It would be a nightmare unless you are a tall guy and have the strength.

So what I would like to see, and I will be first in line to buy as much carbon fiber, fiberglass whatever, plastic tank, you name it. Anything I can do to shave off 50lbs would be a good start.

Also, spend the money on better than factory off road accessories like the roll cage, and undercarriage. Expect it to be able to hold the entire weight of the bike without bending. I have litterly jumped on top of big boulders , rocked it back and forth on the rocks sitting on the undercarriage, and jumped off, dragging the entire undercarriage holding up the entire bike on the tops of rocks. The tires would be next, get 50/50's. These 80/20s are fine, but they are horrible on anything offroad thats got mud or sand. They are only good for hard packed dirt.

My two cents.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
For something lighter you might have to drop down to a 250 single cylinder dual purpose bike. The Honda CRF250L that Ryan mentions weighs about 320 lbs. Of course you loose some HP and top end

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Take a look at a V-Strom 650. 19 inch front wheel, much better on gravel and dirt roads. I you are going to go double track trails a KLR 650 or a DR650 is the proper tool. Single track look at a sub 500cc dual sport machine. If you have little or no experience on dirt and gravel buy a cheap 250 to 400cc dual sport and go practice. It hurts when you fall down.

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
thougths on Honda CB500x ... it seems to be getting decent review as a light all rounder (capable on tarmac as well as light trails)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Even if I'm not ready to trade my old NT for a one of the CB500Xs, I am really impressed by them. If I wanted a light all-rounder for roads and light trails, it would be at the top of my list. Chuck's little Versys is too tall or I'd like it for those purposes.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If something happened to Traveller, I'd look very hard at a CB500X. A coworker has one and I'm impressed by it.

Mike

What I have seen so far hanging with the dual sport crowd, is their are basically two types of dual sports on the market. The first and the oldest of course is just a converted dirt bike, and the Honda CRF250 is a good example of that. Its just a converted dirt bike whether that be factory or not. My buddy has a Yamaha 450, the dirt bike, and the factory does make a conversion kit with lights, signal and a horn, to make it street legal.

The reason I bring this up is ALL dirt bikes have small tanks, like 1.5 gallons or so, and my Kawasaki Versys has a 3.5 gallon tank. So range is far greater and I can tell ya the dirt bike guys stop everywhere we go to fill up again and have to plan to gas stops ahead of time.

Those converted dirt bikes will be the best for off road, with some enough on road gear to make them street legal but expect to be riding a dirt bike on the road, and its top end performance, especially over 50mph or at highway speeds will be very bad and it will be slow on the road with all the other adventure riders leaving you behind.

I am not knocking it, because in the dual sport clubs thats what most people have. Once you get into actual purpose built adventure bikes like the Kawasaki Versys, or the BMW GS series then this all changes. These purpose built dual sport bikes are 80/20 road/dirt too about 50/50 , good enough for offroad and good enough for highway, and I would say thats all of them. My opinion is the manufacturers start with a street bike and see how far they can upgrade it for offroad use, because in their view, your riding is 80/20 mostly on road but some off road and thats why they include 80/20 tires that look like street tires but have different tread and a softer rubber compound.

So me changing out the tires from the 80/20's to 50/50s was me trying to bridge the gap between the advance off road riders and me being not good offroad.

What I would say I would change, and I think this is pretty important, is that I would have preferred alloy rims on the Versys-X 300, instead of spokes, like the Versys 650 has. Now everyone says, you want spokes so you can handle extreme offroad hits to the tires, but in my experience most of your off road riding will be on gravel and dirt roads and trails and not cliff crawling, so having to deal with tubes is a big disadvantage and thats mainly if you get a flat, you have to take the tire completely apart and get the tube partly out for the repair.

Living in Houston, I use tire plugs almost every single month on something, and even though I haven't gotten a flat on a bike yet, I am just loathing the day I get a flat on the trail and spend 2 hours taking the tire apart. Applying a patch, waiting for that to dry and putting it all back together whereas with an alloy radial tire and rim, I just pop a plug in it, and air it back up.

I do carry a bottle of the Slime for Tubes tire repair. I have not actually used it but my hopes is when that day comes I just put the Slime in and air it back up and thats gets me back to civilization good enough.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I am with you on using tubeless tires. Tires are very good these days but stuff happens. On a bike with no spare tire like a car ezee repairs are important to me. Also a tube is more likely to have a blowout, quick loss of air, which is more dangerous.
For hard core off road spokes are the way to go but for every now and then use not for me anymore.

Brad

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Thanks guys... as I am also looking to do dual track, back road or dirt / trail riding. No intention of doing hard core single trails etc. I am struggling to finalize on a bike:

Ones I have considered:

1) BMW R1200 GS (most popular + some aspirational value + heavy)

2) Kawasaki Versys 650 (only concern is that silencer opening is very low to ground, so concerned about water ingress, but knowing there are thousands on the road that looks like a moot concern)

3) Kawasaki KLR 650

4) Triumph / Ducati Scrambler (lack of aftermarket stuff)

5) Triumph Tiger 1200

6) BMS F800GS

Most of these bikes fit both touring and dual track, so not sure of keeping 2 in the stable. plus the bike weight vs my age debate .. do I let middle age push me into buying a heavy bike with the eye on future more mature me who has to move to a lighter bike.....

on top, on a limited budget...

As of now, thoroughly confused ....

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
ok everyone, got ahead an bought a 2002 R1150GS today :)

better buy one, ride one when I have an iota of chance to enjoy and pick it up if it topples... later years... CB500 :D

PS: already toppled from standstill and picked it up, and was relived that no Tupperware was damaged, but there is none :D

Attachments

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Lots of protection on that bike. No surprise it didn't get a scratch!
How many miles on her? Looks like she's ready for a world tour!

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
32k miles.

2002 R1150GSA (a for ABS, not the bigger Adventure version). What I liked was that it is simple (last of the single spark version, very few electronics
), so easy for me to maintain. It does not have too many farkels or mods.

It has the things I would have put on immediately: crash bars, extra lights, side and top boxes. And these are all factory OEMs.

Tires are brand new too..

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I'll make it an easy answer. NO ! The NT is not designed to do this kind of ride. Yes I've had mine on many dirt roads in the years I've owned it however nothing like stream crossings and rocky conditions. Leave that for the NC series.

DJ

Top Bottom