MAGNETIC Tank Bag survey

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I am currently using a Cortech Super Mini. About 6L which is great for everyday and trips of 3-4 days
I want to upgrade to something around 25L for my trip this summer.
The Super Mini is about 9" wide at its widest point in the front and works well.

I'd like to hear from anyone running a magnetic bag wider than 9" to see how/if they work on the NT

Right now I am looking at the MotoCentric Tower and the FirstGear Onyx

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I use a Nelson Rigg, but, it is non-magnetic. I sometimes stick my wallet in the tank bag and would not want to worry about my credit cards.

I'd look for a bag that has magnets in the bottom of the bag rather than 'wings" like my little tank bag. The steel part of the tank area is only so wide.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have the Cortech Dryver which attaches to the fuel filler via a nylon locking ring. I like it a LOT!

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'd like to hear from anyone running a magnetic bag wider than 9" to see how/if they work on the NT
My old Wolf tank bag is around that size and it worked just fine. About half the magnets were on metal and the rest on plastic but I never had any issues. You can see it on the NT Here and Here. I always run with a "dummy" cord from the front of the tank bag around the frame "just in case" but never needed it.....

Bike
Silver NT700V
Ditto on the "dummy cord". I always use it on the magnetic bag I had on bike #1. Those magnets are pretty strong. Do they "reach" throught the plastic of the fairing pouches to the metal underneath?

I use a Bag Connection bag with tank ring mount on the NT, so mainly curious.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Do they "reach" throught the plastic of the fairing pouches to the metal underneath?
My Wolf is around 15 years old so I not sure the magnets reach much beyond the cloth on the bottom of the bag. ;) But I never had any "slip sliding away" even during a very hard ABS "check" so they work well enough to hold the bag in place.

EDIT: To get an idea of how well it holds here is how it is usually loaded. I carry sunglasses, reading glasses, extra ear plugs, $20 worth of change, maps, camera, spare face shield, spare gloves, visor and windshield cleaning stuff, wind breaker, two "space" blankets, a Gerber multi-tool and an eight way screw driver in the main bag. Each side pocket gets a bottle of water. That is probably around eight to ten pounds of weight when it is all "bagged" up and on the bike.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
El cheepo magnetic bag from Walmart. Magnets in the wings. Works just fine.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Aerostich has a new product in their latest catalog. A Chase-Harper 9X14X5.5 magnetic.
That one might replace my old worn one. The map case blows off because the velcro is shot.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I've had a bit of a tough time with large tank bags on my ST's and the NT isn't really different. The problem is when the bars are deflected far to the left or right. This really is only when parking or pulling out from same or when maneuvering at low speeds. Large bags interfere with the bar travel. Might be in a minor way (horn beeps) or more problematic, inhibiting the travel itself to one degree or another. Mounting more to the rear can help. Be sure to consider this effect when choosing.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I think I am going to order both of the bags I am looking at and return whichever one I dont like...or both

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have the ElCheapo Wal-Mart Bag. Got it in 08 for the Ninja and am using it on the NT. It's a very good bag.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Plus 1 to what Rich said. I looked at a lot of bags before buying two. Both are Bags-Connection clip-on-to-a-gas-cap-mounted ring, the DayPack, which is a smaller bag no longer listed, but very much like the "Engage" they sell now, and a CityBag, which is bigger, fits on the same ring, and is fairly narrow at the front. Once I bent my mounting tabs for the switch for my Denalis and for the heated handgrip control, they don't get turned on and off by the CityBag. The Day Pack never fouled either of the switches.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
CityBag, which is bigger, fits on the same ring
I bought the CityBag, and also got the electrical ring. A very handy way to get electricity into the bag. I have a powerlet and a usb connection, but there are several options available. It works well; I mounted it as far to the rear as possible, and have never had any problem with interference. It is expandable--11-15 liters--and well made. Ken

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks, Kev, I hadn't seen it when I looked through your listings last night.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I am sure am glad to get all this clip on tank bag feedback in my MAGNETIC tankbag thread
Hey, it's not like you've never taken a thread off-topic, is it? :)

I used a magnetic tank bag and didn't like the way it marked up my lovely silver tank. So... I WAS ONLY TRYING TO HELP!!!

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I WAS ONLY TRYING TO HELP!!!
I'm sorry, Phil.
My bad
I don't think there is a tank lock bag out there that will give me the volume I want at a reasonable price. All the tanklock systems seem to be a little high. Also, I have had good luck on two bikes with magnets with no scratches. (Cortech)
I am looking for at least 18 liters and it looks like you can get a quality bag for 75-100 bucks
I just have to pick something. I want to either pack my CPAP in it or a bunch of clothes. The cpap and a pair of sneakers is going to take a lot of room on the bike
I just want to carry as much as I need without looking like the Clampett family coming down out of the hills
I may not pull that off!

Top Bottom