Making electric 2-wheelers more practical, at least in Japan

Bike
2010 NT700V
I'm just wondering how many battery standards we'll end up with. I could see owning an early EV be a risk after a few years if they decide to go with another pack and availability on prior generations becomes less and less.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I believe a consortium of motorcycle manufactures is working on a standard for removable batteries that you can swap out

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, having one "standard" battery shape & voltage would make things cheaper for all manufacturers.

We have a few electric bicycles in my neighborhood, and they all seem to be ridden by older, overweight men. I've yet to see them peddle so it's obviously not exercise they want. :rofl1:

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I believe a consortium of motorcycle manufactures is working on a standard for removable batteries that you can swap out.
Yes, the subject is correct. From what I have been reading, all 4 Japanese manufacturers collaborated to create the standard. It seems that Honda is the first to put it into practice domestically.

Honda - Efforts to Promote the Use of Electric Motorcycles

Honda also announced bringing three full-sized electric motorcycles to the US. Honda - Striving for Carbon Neutrality of Motorcycles

I will get one as soon as they are available for reorder with my local dealer. I am highly interested in the one on the right that resembles a Honda X-ADV.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I guess they could decide on the shape and connection points, while just improving chemistry and energy density over time.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
A few members:
Honda
KTM
Piaggio Group
Yamaha
Polaris
Samsung
Kawasaki
Kymco
Suzuki

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Here in Belfast, we are literally overrun with electric bicycles. Those things really move.
They were everywhere in Bavaria during Sep visit. They looked like they had an oversized pedal crank frame hub (motor?) and generally somewhat beefier overall. No external battery that I could see, but did not pay any attention. You could rent them at the resort, but we ran out of time and weather. ... next time for sure.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
They were everywhere in Bavaria during Sep visit. They looked like they had an oversized pedal crank frame hub (motor?) and generally somewhat beefier overall. No external battery that I could see, but did not pay any attention. You could rent them at the resort, but we ran out of time and weather. ... next time for sure.
Yes, the oversize wheel center hub is a large brushless motor. You can buy the brushless motor/wheel/rim assemblies online, add your own speed controller and battery pack, and off you go.

I spent most of the summer on the local bike path, e-bikes are everywhere nowadays, from 2-wheel MTB variety to various 3 and 4 wheel recumbent. I lost count!

Yes you can shut off the motors and pedal too. People have figured out, this is a great fuel-free way to get around.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Early in the summer, the MTB type were everywhere in Greeley, but then they just disappeared. I hadn't realizd that until this thread showed up here.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Sounds like someone is doing some advanced thinking...right now,..... there are two types of major charging stations for cars.....duh....meatheads.....
I wonder how the laws change state to state and country to country? Who can ride one? What kind of licensing do you need to ride like a motorcycle? Bike and rider? Do you need insurance. CAn you ride a licensed vehicle on a e bike/bike path???My EV scooter I use at Oshkosh for 10-15 miles every summer was ill eagle to have with a seat when I bought it....but the manufacturer sold after market seats for it and it had the mount pre installed. I have had it to oshkosh 13 years and it has the yearly stickers to prove it...it is way better than the gas monstrosity that I also took but gave away last year......

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Here in Belfast, we are literally overrun with electric bicycles. Those things really move.
I think in towns like I grew up in....that havent been californicated...they make lots of sense...you know...the old "Leave it to Beaver" "Ozzie and Harriot" "Mayberry RFD" neighborhoods....I ride my bikes around Spokane very little and very cautiously. Someone ran a stopsign the other day in a very confusing intersection of three roads and almost hit me in my Honda CRV. Spokane is planning yet another lane for the interstate due to californicaiton. I will never see it completed just as I will never see the North/South Expressway completed.... Washington State DOT. Quote. "You can not build your way out of congestion"

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yes, the subject is correct. From what I have been reading, all 4 Japanese manufacturers collaborated to create the standard. It seems that Honda is the first to put it into practice domestically.

Honda - Efforts to Promote the Use of Electric Motorcycles

Honda also announced bringing three full-sized electric motorcycles to the US. Honda - Striving for Carbon Neutrality of Motorcycles

I will get one as soon as they are available for reorder with my local dealer. I am highly interested in the one on the right that resembles a Honda X-ADV.

The specs will be very interesting....and the cost.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The specs will be very interesting....and the cost.
It has to be at least 300% better than my old Zero Motorcycles SR. Suppose it gets better than 80-85 miles per charge while riding at highway speeds. I will be more than satisfied with those figures as this bike would be my work commuter.

I was at my local dealer today. I told them about Honda offering three full-sized electric motorcycles by 2024 or 2025. They seemed pretty surprised themselves. I showed them the Honda website with the public announcements of their intentions. I told them I wanted to be the first person to buy one from their dealership. They told me they would contact me as soon as they got the official availability from corporate. I told them that I would give them a deposit posthaste.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think I saw the same article. If it is, the Fire Marshal of NYC indicated that to date there have been over 260 fires caused by LI batteries in two wheeled conveyances this year in NYC. Knowing the issues and having seen a video of a Tesla fire, I for one am not too awfully eager to park an EV in my garage.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I think in towns like I grew up in....that havent been californicated...they make lots of sense...you know...the old "Leave it to Beaver" "Ozzie and Harriot" "Mayberry RFD" neighborhoods....I ride my bikes around Spokane very little and very cautiously.
It's not the 70's anymore, when us kids rode our Stingrays down to the five & dime store to get Pop Rocks. Oh, those were the days!

I no longer bicycle on public roads if I can avoid it, too many close calls, with drivers just not paying attention. In the area of IL I live, it's harvest season, a lot of the roads are full of combines, tractors, 18 wheelers right now, many of these take up the entire width of the road. I'll go to trouble of loading my bikes in the car and driving to a proper bike path, for safety's sake. It's worth it, the cardio of bicycling is hard to equal in a gym, especially if I'm out for several hours.

Very soon, I'll be moving to a much less traveled area that is all 30mph residential streets with no through traffic, may try bicycling again there.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
It's not the 70's anymore, when us kids rode our Stingrays down to the five & dime store to get Pop Rocks. Oh, those were the days!

I no longer bicycle on public roads if I can avoid it, too many close calls, with drivers just not paying attention. In the area of IL I live, it's harvest season, a lot of the roads are full of combines, tractors, 18 wheelers right now, many of these take up the entire width of the road. I'll go to trouble of loading my bikes in the car and driving to a proper bike path, for safety's sake. It's worth it, the cardio of bicycling is hard to equal in a gym, especially if I'm out for several hours.

Very soon, I'll be moving to a much less traveled area that is all 30mph residential streets with no through traffic, may try bicycling again there.
ITA. In the 1970s, I lived on a rural road outside of Champaign Urbana in the country. I would and did have a bicycle when my knees were good and I felt safe cause there was little traffic ...just two lane roads and corn fields....and a house here and there.....now I live in the country outside of Spokane and there are many who do bicycle my rural road and they all have have rear view mirrors to avoid getting killed by people who use rural roads to bypass urban roads now chocked with Californians. :rofl1:

Top Bottom