[How To] Making it easier to switch pannier lids between large and standar

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Several of us have decided it's worthwhile to sometimes have the stock panniers and other times have the larger lids. But there are several self-tapping screws that one does not want to be removing and reinserting into the plastic. Part of it is easy. Just get 4 extra striker plates and their screws (BikeBandit is a good source), install into whichever pair doesn't have them and have that part and you're ready to go.

The retainer straps are a bit trickier, but I came up with an approach worthy of the Apollo 13 crew. Parts are:

• 4 self-tapping screws (Bike Bandit, again). Pay attention. These are a different size than the ones for the striker plates.
  • 4 electrical wire mounts (Ace hardware).
  • Appropriate length of 1" nylon cord (Ace hardware).
  • 4 sets of fishing swivels and snap swivels (Ace, again).
  • 8 small wire ties to fasten the cord.

So now a swap takes me 10 minutes and all those self-tapping screws stay in place.

Attachments

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That looks like a good quick disconnect setup to me... I might use tabbed D-ring picture hangers on the bike side for connecting the retainer strap snap swivels as I have a batch of them somewhere in the garage... Off Topic: What brand /model is your top box?

EDIT: Never mind on the Top Box I looked up your post on moving over the ST box... I though it looked familiar..

Last edited:

bicyclist

Oprah :rofl1:

Good idea! I had installed an extra set of striker plates on the large lids to make the swap easy, but hadn't really thought about the lid straps. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom