MCL universal off set handle bar risers 4008 mcl78univ-os

Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Hello all,
Just got these risers in the mail:

http://www.MCL OUT OF BUSINESS - DO NOT ORDER/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=100_101_107&products_id=465

I dont post to step on toes, just looking for advice thaat will get me on the road, AND to caution others that these are NOT bolt-on.

The risers contact the tank before the steering stops are at full lock, so with these installed your tank is now the steering stop! Also i need to replace the clutch cable with the longer version.
Q = Does anybody out there have experience with these risers?
Q= would you mill off a bit of the riser for clearance or dent ( reprofile) the tank?
Q= success criteria for me is no contAct when steering is on stops, adequate cable length, and good comfort, does anyone have suggestions on how i should proceed, i.e. move forward with these risers, or acquire others?

The woman at MCL said they would worrk, and they own an NT right? Not sure why mine is diffrent.
Any help would be greTly appreciated as i am facing shipping charges and a nasty restock fee to rreturn these.
Thanks all,
leo

jackgermain

The web site says that for Honda it fits most models with 7/8 bars. It is also a universal fit made for "nearly all motorcycles". If you do not have full steering and/or it hits the tank, return the item. That is my opinion.

OP
OP
ataraxia
Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
The web site says that for Honda it fits most models with 7/8 bars. It is also a universal fit made for "nearly all motorcycles". If you do not have full steering and/or it hits the tank, return the item. That is my opinion.
Tanks for the quick response! Eitherr way i am going to call MCL monday and ask for help, hopefully they have seen this before?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would probably not use as is. A different set of risers may be better. If you don't modify the steering stops sooner or later you will have dents in the tank.
MCL may have a fix like add-on risers to give the needed clearance but the easiest would be one that fits up right from the start on NT.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
One thing you could do would be to install a set of the standard MCL risers, and then mount these on top of the standard PN 6070/NT700R risers. You'd definitely have to replace cables, but it would sure be a comfortable setup.

OP
OP
ataraxia
Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Brad, Phil,
Thanks for the idea , Ill talk to MCL about getting that setup. I ordered a trans alp clutch cable this afternoon.

OP
OP
ataraxia
Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Hi, I got my risers installed today and uploaded some pictures to share.
I decided to modify the risers instead of returning them or adding another riser.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ataraxia
Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Heres a picture showing how I set the part up in the vise with a 30 degree angle block, the risers contacted the tank when turned to full lock, PLUS they made access tot the tank bolts difficult. I wanted to remove metal from the bottom of the riser and the thin part closeest to the rider, with out changing the mounting flange

OP
OP
ataraxia
Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Here I am chamfering the side of the riser. I only chamfered the side that will be outboard in its installed position.

OP
OP
ataraxia
Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
This shot shows (poor quality sorry) or is trying to show the clearance that I now have when the bars are at full lock.

OP
OP
ataraxia
Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Heres the cockpit view with the risers installed , I etch primered and painted the bare metal. It was hard to destroy (modify?) these parts - they were beautiful , the anodizing was gorgious and the attention to details was evident. A quality part - and at 90 bucks for 2 units including hardware and instructions, they aren't making a whole lot of money.

Can't wait to try them - we've got severe thunderstorms and flood warnings today,
I'll post a ride report asap.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Great job when you have the knowledge and the tools. That mod should make a great difference..

tawilke46

Looks like a really good job on the riser mod's.
Let us know how they work out for you.
Did you also have to install longer clutch cables, throttle cables, and brake lines?

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Couple of questions; you said you ordered a Trans Alp clutch cable. Did you end up having to install it to get these risers to work? Would they have worked without it?

Also, I wonder if MCL would be interested in this mod and make some for us NT owners. That would give us another option to their straight 1" riser without having to jump to the Helibar which seems like overkill to me.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I was thinking the same thing. Does MCL make risers that work on the NT without having to make
these modifications?

Joe
He does--but it brings the bars up one inch but not back. I like dealing with those folks. It is a small business I make every effort to patronize.

Bike
choosing
Oh, believe me, I am not disparaging the guy.

I am sure that I will do some business with him as well.

Just trying to learn and weigh my options.

Joe

Top Bottom