Mesh summer jacket without liner

Igo

I wear long sleeve white T-Shirts in the summer. I'd like to find an armored jacket that was not built with a liner so I don't have to pay the cost of the liner and the fit is more snug without my having to wrench too many straps and buckets down. Does somebody make a mesh armored summer jacket?

MAC

I have a Joe Rocket jacket mesh that only comes with a zip-out rain liner. This worked very well on my trip to Nova Scotia last year.

elizilla

Igo, whether it comes with a liner or not probably won't affect the price. You don't have to use the liner.

(I almost never use those liners either - if it starts raining, I don't want to take off my jacket and stand around in the rain fussing to zip a liner in - I put on a rain suit. And the insulated liners just screw up the fit of the jackets - I'd rather wear a fleece for insulation.)

OP
OP

Igo

Igo, whether it comes with a liner or not probably won't affect the price. You don't have to use the liner.

(I almost never use those liners either - if it starts raining, I don't want to take off my jacket and stand around in the rain fussing to zip a liner in - I put on a rain suit. And the insulated liners just screw up the fit of the jackets - I'd rather wear a fleece for insulation.)
My Tour Master Sonora has an inner liner, a rain liner and the mesh shell. I took the inner liner out the first day. It took me 15 minutes to do it. I still have the rain liner in it. I'd like to leave it like that for its wind protection (Spring/Fall) and use a fleece layering system just like you said. For summer, I'd like to find a mesh shell that never had the two liners in it so it is cut to fit right off the shelf rather than have to crunch and velcro all that crap down let alone pay for all that stuff I don't need. Just an armored summer mesh jacket without the fluff. There's one out there somewhere.

elizilla

I guess it's because I'm a woman of average weight - if by some freak chance I find something long enough, then I have to buy the largest size and take the liners out to even have a hope of zipping it, because in the parallel universe where motorcycle gear is manufactured, adult women of average weight are gigantic fat cows that no one would ever want on their passenger seat. S/M/L are child sized, XL is a small adult woman, and XXL is seldom manufactured. If I happened to find a jacket that came without any liners, I probably couldn't get it zipped over my average weight body. I need liners so I'll have something to throw away to make room. :)

elizilla

I could rant all day. Recently I went to a science fiction convention and there was a vendor selling corsets. My friends persuaded me to try some on. Well, it turns out that in the parallel universe of corset makers, I'm size XXS. How can I be a size XXS in clothing for one hobby, and size XXL in clothing for another hobby, when my peers in those hobbies are demographically identical?

So, yeah, jacket liners... I just throw them away. Works great.

OP
OP

Igo

I see third world school children dressed in Joe Rocket jacket liners.
...can't believe I said that...

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I use my mesh jacket with armor year round. I think they all come with liners which I'm thankful about. In winter I wear my lectic vest, fleece, mesh jacket with liner and rain jacket for wind protection. In summer mesh jacket only. It works.

jiman

I also have a Joe Rocket Jacket. It has a zip out lining, zip off sleeves with mesh underneath and tons of features. I wear it almost all year round in Florida. Love it.

OP
OP

Igo

Maybe I can buy one size smaller and get a jacket that fits like it never had liners in it after I rip the liners out.

You may want to look at the Joe Rocket site and go to Honda products, textile jackets. They have something called a Proformance Mesh Jacket that does not appear to have a liner. The shame of it is that Joe Rocket quit making the Phoenix as they did originally(1.0). It did not come with a liner though one could be obtained for extra expense. Also it was gray over black with the gray facing up. Much prefered in the summer sun. I still have one and hope it never wears out. At one time sport rider meets would look like JR product conventions the jacket was so universally loved for being light and cool.

Lorien

OP
OP

Igo

Thank you very much. And yes, I was watching for lighter shades for the sun that also matched the bike paint. Thank you very much. I'm going there now.

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
Igor, I've had a First Gear mesh jacket for several years, came without a liner and has all the armor you could ask for. Also has a zipper along the back so you can add the First gear mesh pants with armor. One change I'd make though, don't get it in black. I bought mine when I lived in the Bay Area, it's not so good in the desert summer heat. :cool:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Well, it turns out that in the parallel universe of corset makers, I'm size XXS. How can I be a size XXS in clothing for one hobby, and size XXL in clothing for another hobby, when my peers in those hobbies are demographically identical?

I'm glad that makers of men's clothing don't play those games. We're pretty sure that anybody's XL will be about the same (dress shirts are an exception...some of us really have to watch out for "tailored fit" garments).

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree about the rain liners for mesh jackets bordering on useless. The best config for rain protection for a mesh liner would be something that slipped over the top, such as Frogg Toggs where the jacket's mesh acts as a layer of insulation. When you use the provided rain liner, it is directly against your skin making you feel much colder although your skin in dry.

Top Bottom