New 660 triple

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I continued to be dumbfounded by the absurd seat heights of modern bikes. Most or all of them have under 6" of rear wheel travel so why does the back end have to be jacked-up so it looks similar to a motocross bike with 12" of travel? :mad:

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
I continued to be dumbfounded by the absurd seat heights of modern bikes. Most or all of them have under 6" of rear wheel travel so why does the back end have to be jacked-up so it looks similar to a motocross bike with 12" of travel? :mad:
Makes it easier for the pillion to fall on the rider :)

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I think it is so they can fit the big catalytic converter and mufflers under the engine and still have ground clearance for the rare event that they get onto unpaved roads.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me it looks really ugly. Like a very angry insect. Not a smooth flowing line in the whole mess.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
...reminds me of what we called a stink bug when I was a kid in CA. :)

I think it is so they can fit the big catalytic converter and mufflers under the engine and still have ground clearance for the rare event that they get onto unpaved roads.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me it looks really ugly. Like a very angry insect. Not a smooth flowing line in the whole mess.
It has nothing to do with the catalytic converter, it’s how sporty bikes have been built for a couple of decades now, engine and rider forward, get the weight forward for good handling……there is a reason today’s factory GP machines have ass up hands down seating, it’s all about handling at the the extremes.

Definately not a new design philosophy and for those unable to swing a leg over the seat, there are more than few low flat seated machines being produced.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Definately not a new design philosophy and for those unable to swing a leg over the seat, there are more than few low flat seated machines being produced.
Yes, but virtually all low seated bikes are cruisers. The feet forward riding position is a definite turn off for me. It is just not comfy for long distance riding. Has anyone ever seen a picture of either General's Lee or Grant with their feet under their horse's chin? I rest my case....

Mike

I was referring to the likes of Royal Enfield interceptor, Honda cb1100, Triumph T-100, T-120
, Kawasaki W650/800 etc etc. The conversation was about some folks not being into modern bike architecture and the inability to get a leg up over the seat. A lot of folks lamenting the style of modern bikes complaining about high seats and what not. Plenty of old school STANDARD style bikes with accessible seat heights for those that can’t manage the new stuff. Never mentioned cruisers at all.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You are correct! When someone mentions "low" seats my mind automatically thinks cruiser. The bikes you mentioned are standards and have similar seat heights to the NT which are doable for us runts.

Mike

Top Bottom